Pulling wheel drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Pulling wheel drum

Hi, I have a 1948 studebaker m5 pickup and I am trying to get the front wheel to move, but it is stuck. Does anyone know how to pull a wheel drum without a drum puller. I also need to do this for repair on the other wheels.

Likely problem is the drums rusted to the shoes. Back the adjusters off, liberally spray kroil or other penetrating oil between drum and shoes. give it a few days and if that doesn't work get the torch out and heT the drums up and let cool. Slide hammer or other puller might help as well

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

For the rear drums you will have to have the proper hub puller. The front drums should come off without a puller unless the shoes are stuck. On some vehicles you can take the screws out of the wheel cylinders and get some wiggle room for the shoes. I can't remember how the M wheel cylinders attach.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I remember my brother lessening the retaining nut slightly and driving around corners on the cottage road quickly until we heard a bang. Went back to the cottage, took the wheel off and the drum was loose. Not sure I'd recommend it but it worked.

Comment

gbarnfind,
          You did say front wheel so the tapered axle is not an issue. I don't want to be insulting here but you did take the nut of the spindle? Does the wheel turn? If you can't turn the wheel the brake drum is probably frozen to the shoes (or what is left of the shoes-lot of metal-to-metal brakes in old farm trucks!). Could you get the outer bearing to wiggle out? You should be able to and that will get you more "play" to work with. If the bearings have been REALLY neglected there might be rust in the bearings and spindle so heat is probably your friend. But I have never seen that personally.

Good luck!

Nathan

Comment

Undo the wheel cylinder bolts on the back side of the backing plate, remove the brake hose, and hammer gently (or not) on the brake hose boss and the bleed screw, to pop the cylinder free. As mentioned above, that should give you enough wiggle room to pull the drum off. The shoes are held to the backing plate by spring steel clips, which WILL give if enough force is applied. Most likely the wheel cylinder and the hardware inside the drum is toast anyway. You hope to save the drum and backing plate.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X