PDA

View Full Version : Antique Car Insurance

Robert Crandall
03-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I have two trucks licensed as antiques in Virginia. Both are insured with State Farm. They accepted the 1950 GMC as an antique, and the rates are comparatively low. They did not accept the 1978 C20, so the rates are not very low. In both cases there is a very low value allowance, and I have only liability and comprehensive (for that low value) on each. As I slowly get my 1949 2R5 resurrected I am beginning to dread having yet another car insurance payment every six months. Of the ones I found I have, so far, only asked information of JC Taylor. The GMC and the Studebaker would be eligible for their coverage because I store them inside. The C20 is ruled out because of being stored outside. A sticking point for me is that they only allow the owner to drive their cars. I agree with what I have read in Turning Wheels about getting the youngsters interested in our relics by letting them drive them. That is certainly a fair trade when they help me work on them. State Farm allows other drivers, and I want to continue letting my kids and (some) of their friends drive me around in them.

What do other people do about this?

Thanks,

Robert Crandall

EssexExport
03-02-2014, 06:39 AM
Usually with collector car insurance its a mileage thing: three thousand a year (more if you're driving your auto to a meet, show, etc). I use Chartis for my Stude & Prowler. You may want to shop for a different carrier.

rockinhawk
03-02-2014, 06:50 AM
I have had JC Taylor since 1985. Never heard about owner only driver. Maybe I missed somthing.They did specify no one under 25 allowed to drive. I have 8 cars with them plus towing for $225. per year.
I have never filed a claim or used the towing option,so I can't say about their service.

Gunslinger
03-02-2014, 07:13 AM
I have American Collectors Insurance. They've been excellent to deal with with no problems when one of my cars was damaged. No deductible, automatic inflation value and some restrictions such as 2500 miles annual driving limit and no one with less than ten years driving experience behind the wheel.

Robert Crandall
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will have to get more diligent in asking more companies. ACI noted above was not on my list, so I will add it. I would like to accommodate the learners, if I can. If they can be hooked early enough, then they will want these cars later when they can afford them.

LarkTruck
03-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Don't overlook Hagerty, they are great folks to deal with IMHO.
Jim

Chicken Hawk
03-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I have American Collectors Insurance. They've been excellent to deal with with no problems when one of my cars was damaged. No deductible, automatic inflation value and some restrictions such as 2500 miles annual driving limit and no one with less than ten years driving experience behind the wheel.

I have American Collectors for my two trucks and two Larks. Premiums are due at the end of this month so I checked with Hagerty for a comparison and every one of my four are cheaper with American. I remember checking with Taylor several years ago and they did not allow a tach in the vehicle and all four of mine have a tach.

Ted

rockinhawk
03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
I have American Collectors for my two trucks and two Larks. Premiums are due at the end of this month so I checked with Hagerty for a comparison and every one of my four are cheaper with American. I remember checking with Taylor several years ago and they did not allow a tach in the vehicle and all four of mine have a tach.

Ted Somthing else I didn't know about J.C.Taylor. I might need to re-read my policy. 3 of my cars have a tach. The Avanti and the GT have factory tachs. The Silverhawk looks factory to the untrained eye. It's a SW, and the face and trim ring matches the gauges. It's in the hole where the clock was.

63t-cab
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
You Guys should tell the Agents that You will remove all the tachs. "and then whisper I'll just shift when the valves start too float,kinda like read the small print" :woot:

Somthing else I didn't know about J.C.Taylor. I might need to re-read my policy. 3 of my cars have a tach. The Avanti and the GT have factory tachs. The Silverhawk looks factory to the untrained eye. It's a SW, and the face and trim ring matches the gauges. It's in the hole where the clock was.

Swifster
03-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Hagerty and Grundy have no mileage limitations. Make sure the insurance you get is stated value insurance. The '78 is the issue. I've seen a lot of late 70's or 80's trucks insured. But they are show quality. Many of these are still on the road as daily drivers. Even nice ones. These are not worth as much as you think. With collector car insurance, no parking the car outside. No drivers under the age of 26. Secure parking (need a garage). No driving the car to work. No driving the car to the store. As mentioned, no mileage limitations. BUT, they don't want this abused. Hagerty had a '67 Camaro that a tree fell on. The car had 27,000 miles in less than a year. The car was spotless. He drove it to Miami every weekend. After they found out the car was spotless and saw the pictures, they just shrugged and paid the claim and kept on renewing him. THEY WANT YOU TO ENJOY THE CAR!

On the other hand, Great American had a '87 Corvette that rolled into a cemetery. The car wasn't special and had 16K in 9 months. The guy was cheating the system. It's the only vintage car I've seen where the claim was denied. The guy had a 3,000 mile limit.

JBOYLE
03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Why would they object to a tach...assume that one means it's a high performance car and you'll race/wreck it?

No one has ever asked if my two cars have them...and yes, they do.

Swifster
03-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I never heard of tachs being used as an excuse...

Dougie
03-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Somthing else I didn't know about J.C.Taylor. I might need to re-read my policy. 3 of my cars have a tach. The Avanti and the GT have factory tachs. The Silverhawk looks factory to the untrained eye. It's a SW, and the face and trim ring matches the gauges. It's in the hole where the clock was.

What does a tach have to do with insurance?

stude1964
03-03-2014, 08:06 AM
My Dad and I have had JC Taylor for years. They were great about 2 claims my Dad had for a windshield and windshield repair. I too need to reread my policy as I've had friends drive my cars to shows. Yes they are OVER 25!
Rob in PA.

03-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Ted
I have had Taylor for more than 20 years and never heard about tachs. Maybe they mean hang-on aftermarket ones. I have had five different Avantis insured with them in that time. Surely they know enough about cars to know that all Avantis have tachs.
Regarding miles limits, all you have to do to exceed the limits is let them know what you will be doing. In 2003 when our Potomac Chapter made a 6,000-mile Route 66 trip I simply called them and told them what I would be doing. Their response- "enjoy your trip".

JBOYLE
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
I've never had problems with American Collectors, then again, I haven't had a claim. :)

I did call once to clarify their language...you supposed to be limited to driving to organized events, shows and maintenance.
Now if one were to take that as gospel, that might mean no "just pleasure" drives to get ice cream or whatever.
I called the company and the woman on the phone read back the car shows etc. clause.

So to be sure, I called the employee/underwriter/exec who I dealt with when I first got my car...recommended by the car's pervious owner who was a friend of theirs...and she's the daughter of the company founder.
She said I could drive whatever. No problem.

BUT...if one did have a mishap and was just driving for fun, I'd guess some adjuster could cause trouble for you if he/she got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Gunslinger
03-03-2014, 12:17 PM
I did make a claim with American Collectors...the damage estimate was about half the value of the car. The adjuster saw the car at the body shop and everything was explained by the shop manager and basically the adjuster said "Fix it". No problem in any way.

When I bought my '02 Avanti I asked American Collectors about insuring it. They said it was outside their normal limitations for cars as it was new, but since I already had two other cars insured through them and I was a good customer they agreed to cover it. They're a fine company to deal with.

stall
03-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm with Gunslinger, American Collectors Ins., They have been great.
Murray

Dougie
03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
I got the best deal of all on my 62 Lark. I had my Hagerty policy on my 86 Grand National and when I added the Lark, because of it's low value, the premium was offset by the multiple car discount, so the Lark is free to insure.

Free is good.

northern
03-04-2014, 08:55 AM
It sounds as if you Americans are fortunate, with many choices of companies that deal with collector cars to deal with.

Have any of the Canadians on here found a good, specialized insurance company to deal with? All the ones I know of here are not very interested in insuring collector cars. When they do, they charge very high premiums, have no multiple car discounts, and require frequent (and expensive) reappraisals.

Swifster
03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Call some of the companies listed above and see if they insure in Canada. I'd bet a couple do.

Skip Lackie
03-04-2014, 03:13 PM
I have had Taylor for more than 20 years and never heard about tachs. Maybe they mean hang-on aftermarket ones. I have had five different Avantis insured with them in that time. Surely they know enough about cars to know that all Avantis have tachs.
Regarding miles limits, all you have to do to exceed the limits is let them know what you will be doing. In 2003 when our Potomac Chapter made a 6,000-mile Route 66 trip I simply called them and told them what I would be doing. Their response- "enjoy your trip".
I agree -- the problem is not tachometers per se, but rather that the presence of an aftermarket tach implies that the vehicle is more of a street rod than an antique car. JC Taylor's lowest rates are available only for unmodified vehicles. I have 10 vehicles insured with JC Taylor, some of them for more than 30 years. The issue of originality only arose once: In the early 1990s I added a 78 ElCamino to my policy -- a vehicle that was only 15 years old at the time. In response to their request, I provided a Polaroid photo of the truck, which at the time had an aftermarket cap mounted on it. JC Taylor called me and suggested that I provide them with another photo of the ElCamino without the cap on it. They then insured the truck with no problems.

I've never had a claim, so I can't speak to JC Tayor's claim service. But it might be worth pointing out that for many years they have taken out a full-page ad in every issue of TW -- and paid full commercial rates for it. They are, in a small way, subsidizing out dues.

Xcalibur
03-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Hagarty for all mine... for years! No problems.