Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Shocks again

Hi Guys:

I know this subject has been discussed somewhere. Sorry if this is redundant. I'd like to use a good shock in my 64 GT Hawk. (Not the GabrielsI see on Ebay). I've downloaded the superb parts replacement database, supplied by one of our members. I shows some quality shocks can be used with minor modifications.

This leads to my question: What shocks have you guys used? What were the modifications needed to install these? Finally were you satisfied?

Thanks

Warren
    1964 Gran turismo Hawk
    1954 Packard Pacific

I Used QA1 AdjustableS All The Way Around On My 52 Commander And I Really Like Them So Far.
    You Can See Them In The Summit Catalogue Or Just QA1.com. If You Need The Stud Top And Bottom They Don't Actually Show A Picture Of it But They Do Have Them.

Dean.

Comment

Dean; Warren would have to install the "Bathtubs" on his '64 lower "A" arms as used on '51 to '56 Cars to use those Lower Stud Mount type.
      So the length open and closed matched the Stude. Shocks then?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Dean; Warren would have to install the "Bathtubs" on his '64 lower "A" arms as used on '51 to '56 Cars to use those Lower Stud Mount type.
        So the length open and closed matched the Stude. Shocks then?
        The diameter of the shock absorber opening on the pre '57 lower control arms is considerably larger Rich.....You can't just merely 'bolt the bathtubs' onto the later arms!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          The diameter of the shock absorber opening on the pre '57 lower control arms is considerably larger Rich.....You can't just merely 'bolt the bathtubs' onto the later arms!
          OK, so I stand corrected, unfortunately I forgot that it does require replacing the Lower "A" Arms as well.

Thanks for completing that Fix, SN-60.

StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might try Monroe 5751 front 5757 rear. I know they will fit the 56 Hawk.

Comment

Any good quality Bilstein, or Koni will work. Use 70-81 Camaro. Will work FRONT & REAR. The fronts will need either longer bottom cross bars from a Stude shock or add washers like everybody else seems to do. They can be had for around 100 a corner. QA 1 adjustables are very expensive.....much more than double that!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                You might try Monroe 5751 front 5757 rear. I know they will fit the 56 Hawk.
                NOT a fit. Please note the application YEARS in Post #3.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Any good quality Bilstein, or Koni will work. Use 70-81 Camaro. Will work FRONT & REAR. The fronts will need either longer bottom cross bars from a Stude shock or add washers like everybody else seems to do. They can be had for around 100 a corner. QA 1 adjustables are very expensive.....much more than double that!
                  SHHH,.. MY WIFE DOESN'T KNOW! As Far As The Travel Matching The Stock stude Shock I Dont Know Because My Car Is Lowered Plus I Couldnt Find My Old Shocks For A comparison.

Dean.

Comment

Yes, EVERYTHING imaginable is available for the noted Camaros--minor mods; I've done so many times.

Comment

I got tired of the cheesy mushy "fits Stude" shocks and switched to KYB Gasajust. VAST improvement. I used the '70s Camero shocks. I replaced the rear upper mounts with ones scavenged out of my burgeoning "fits Studebaker" pile and fabbed a pair of 3/16" cages for the lower fronts. They ride great and automatically adjust to road conditions, they really firm up on twisty roads! Another plus: whenever I put my Hawk on my two post lift the rear axle would drop so far it would stress the rear brake hose. Doesn't do that now. No, I have never hit the limits on the Camero shocks in spite of some hard driving.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys:

If the weather ever gets warmer :-). This will be next on the list. It was very helpful to find out what worked for you guys.

Warren
                        1964 Gran turismo Hawk
                        1954 Packard Pacific

Comment

Hey, me too. Anyone know the KYB #'s? I'd like a good set of front and rear shocks for my '54 coupe (Chevy powered...yeah, I know.....booh, hiss). I'd like something better than the Monroe #'s you can buy at your friendly local parts emporium. Can you guys that bought the KYB's give us the numbers?

Thanks

Comment

the front ones I used crossed over to fit a 68 buick Riviera. Kyb gas . The bottom tabs wernt wide enough but washers fixed that.. The rear I got from a stude vender in Ontario because I was lost on finding rear shocks.. All they were was rubber loop ends with some 3/8 pipe inserted into the rubber cut to fit the space they bolt up into..
                            sigpic

Comment

I've used the factory Koni's for years and they are, in my opinion, the best 'cause you can tailor their characteristics to your your liking with simple adjustments. I'm even using them on my '57 Clipper Wagon. Bilstein would be my second choice and KYB Gas A Just for the budget minded. Modifications as per post #7 are in order.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X