Lost Avanti Found, Reborn, Story in This Sunday's NYT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Avanti Found, Reborn, Story in This Sunday's NYT

The recent story of R1002 is detailed in a piece appearing in this coming (March 1) Sunday New York Times. The oldest production Avanti in private hands, it just completed a comprehensive, body off, "nuts and bolts" restoration. Only a handful of reproduction parts were used, most every part was saved or a NOS one used. Originally assigned to Studebaker Public Relations in 1962, the car had been wrecked many years ago. The article will be in the Automobiles section of the print edition in New York City and surrounding area, online everywhere else. The car will be on the show field at The Amelia Island Concours in Amelia Island Florida on March 9th.

All you Avanti lovers will want to read this Sunday's New York Times article by Dave Kinney, proud owner of R1002. Jim

Here is the link.
    The owner of a 1963 Avanti paid to have the car stored in a barn. Years later, the barn’s owner and the car disappeared.
    Last edited by LarkTruck; 03-01-2014, 06:33 AM.
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

It was restored by Gary Johnson in the Seattle area.

IIRC, Kinney said in the AOAI's Avanti magazine he sold car 1004 (which went for more than $80K, a record for Avanti) to pay for 1002's restoration.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

IIRC, Kinney said in the AOAI's Avanti magazine he sold car 1004 (which went for more than $80K, a record for Avanti) to pay for 1002's restoration.
      You are correct Sir.
      JS

Comment

Jealous Jim, I'd sure like to see that article.

'Probably see you at York!
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
          Jealous Jim, I'd sure like to see that article.

'Probably see you at York!
          As stated Bill, you can read it Sunday at NYT online.-Enjoy!

Yes, hope to see you too!
          Have a safe trip.
          Jim
          Last edited by LarkTruck; 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

When someone finds the exact link... please post it and save us others a lot of time.
            Thanks!

Comment

The story is linked from the homepage of the NYTimes.com Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to the Auto Section box.
              Or:
              The owner of a 1963 Avanti paid to have the car stored in a barn. Years later, the barn’s owner and the car disappeared.
              Lew Schucart
              Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Does anyone have Avanti no 1?
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I did read somewhere that maybe 2 of the first 4 cars were later given much higher serial numbers and eventually sold off. Someone on the forum will have a better record of this.

Chris.

Comment

The first Avanti is being restored at the LeMay Auto Museum, http://www.lemaymuseum.org/vehicles.php?vid=2105 . Paint was an early priority.
                    At least five Avanti's with "EX" engineering serial #'s were rebuilt, issued standard serial #'s higher than the last production line Avanti, and sold in 1964. The build sheets show both the engineering and standard serial #'s. At least one was built to '63 specs and given a post production # with a '63 prefix! Others were to '64 spec.
                    The LeMay museum had been given the highest serial numbered of these cars with the first Avanti. They sold it, breaking up the set. It would have been confusing, having to explain that it wasn't the last production line Stude Avanti, which is owned by the Crawford museum.
                    Mike M.
                    Last edited by Mike; 03-01-2014, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Good to know, probably can't be in a better place.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Lots more on R1001 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=r1001

And R1004 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=royce

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 03-13-2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I voted for him!

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

Comment

I always love it when Studebakers get some much needed publicity, but it never seems to fail even Studebaker knowledgeable people get stuff more than a bit wrong. I would think John Hull, Dave Kinney or the New York Times would have gotten the Picture Title right.

I find it very hard to believe that the nice photo of the Two Prototypes is as described as from "THE New York Auto Show",
                            I wonder if anyone here was there and could verify or deny that statement?

When you see all of those mostly Men, in White Shirts, Ties and Suit Coats with "Avanti" Badges? or their Dealer Names on, sitting in bleachers with curtains and Avanti Banners all around in an Aircraft Hanger or Warehouse you know that has to be a Airport Dealer Showing somewhere, maybe New York, but NOT an Auto Show.

Then there is this way understated little blurb trying to cover 41 Years of Avanti Production!
                            QUOTE: "Avantis adapted from the original design were made by various start-ups as late as 2007."

Photo and Quote Text Credit to New York Times Collectable Cars.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-02-2014, 02:21 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;

Then there is this way understated little blurb trying to cover 41 Years of Avanti Production!
                              QUOTE: "Avantis adapted from the original design were made by various start-ups as late as 2007."

Sometimes 'Less is More' Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X