Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Life-Time permanent oil filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: What do you think of Life-Time permanent oil filters?

Hello folks,
    A friend of mine has an aftermarket permanent oil filter with a porous bronze element. It's a Life-Time setup and it comes right from the 50's. Do you think this device has really all the advantages it once claimed for or that it is another worthless add-on like so many others?
    Have a nice day.
    sigpic

I've always felt that if those things worked as advertised, they'd be everywhere. But they're not

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Guaranteeing an oil filter for the "lifetime of the engine" is no guarantee.

Comment

If the filters are like the "Cumo" filters found on early diesel locomotives, then they are meant to be taken apart periodically and cleaned. I'm not familiar with automotive types, but the ones found in locomotives did an adequate job getting contaminates out of the engine lube oil. The only drawback was they were a PITA to disassemble and clean, whereas a disposable cartridge filter was much easier.

Comment

For the price of a disposable filter I cant imagine why anyone would take a chance on a "lifetime" filter.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            I've always felt that if those things worked as advertised, they'd be everywhere. But they're not
            There's nothing wrong with those porous bronze oil filters, but...

1, They're fairly expensive..

2, They don't have much surface area compared to a folded paper filter.

3. They have to be cleaned, preferrably by reverse flushing with a solvent like mineral spirits.

So, yes, they can work fine, but they cost more, are a PITA to clean.

There's a reason throwaway paper filters are what every manufacturer uses. Cheap, effective, easy and fast.

Comment

Thanks for all your advices.
              Of course, I do agree that filter papers are much more easy and faster to change, but I already have cars (Simca) where the filters need to be cleaned regularly. In fact, I took the habit to clean them at each oil change. Moreover, I like to have the opportunity to look at what the filters have retained. This may indicate a future engine failure and is always a perfect indication of the attentions it received. One day, I was looking at a Simca 9 Aronde 1221 cm3 engine (basically, a Fiat engine). The vendor told me it just have been overhauled with new bearings. I said OK but I also said "Let's have a look at the oil filter". He was stunned as he wasn't aware of it. The filter was full of crud and debris, obviously coming from the previous bearings. Of course, I walked away just after that!
              Nice week-end to all.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X