Adding a rear leaf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Adding a rear leaf.

I would like to raise the rear of my 52 just a bit. After reading some old posts, it looks like an extra leaf just under the main leaf would do the trick. What I am wondering is, how important is it to use the same thickness of leaf spring in the pack? I realized a few days ago that, although we have saved front suspension parts, most of the rear springs stayed with the parts cars. The only springs around here at this time are from trucks. Suggestions?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Someone here may have an old spring assembly they could part out, to get you an extra Second leaf, or even have saved one.

I just checked yesterday at S.I. South Bend, and the loose NOS leaves are very sparse, not inventoried and would have to be ordered by individual Part Number to see if any are left.

I remember a Mechanic at Frost and French Studebaker had a '63 Lark and wanted to stop the Torqueing of the axle and stiffen it a bit, and he just added the front half of a #2 leaf on the front side of both springs and said it helped a lot. It did raise it a little but that was not his goal.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wouldn't a spring shop be able to re-arch your springs to your specifications for you?
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        Wouldn't a spring shop be able to re-arch your springs to your specifications for you?
        Sure, but it would cost more. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago and I have time, but not much money.
        I think I actually need two main leaves and then cut them a little shorter than the current main leaf, but longer than the #2 leaf. There was a post a while back where someone did this on a Hawk and it raised it just about perfect. I only need maybe 2" of lift.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I've had it done for multiple customers. Work was done by the local spring shop, the leaf they added was considerably thicker then the factory stude spring. Length wise they go almost to the eyelet of the main leaf. Lifts the car back to stock height on a set of 60 year old springs.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Sure, but it would cost more. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago and I have time, but not much money.
          I think I actually need two main leaves and then cut them a little shorter than the current main leaf, but longer than the #2 leaf. There was a post a while back where someone did this on a Hawk and it raised it just about perfect. I only need maybe 2" of lift.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

.....a crap shoot. if you're not really interested in the car's profile, simply add a leaf to both sides from the #1 or #2 of same type spring. There's no way you can calculate what used spring "A" will do to your ride height compared to used spring "B".

Comment

Around Christmas I hauled my springs into the local spring shop to have them re-arched...and it was their feeling that re-arching was a huge why-bother. They said I'd be back in 6 months wanting them to re-arch again. Their fix was to add a leaf of the same thickness as the factory leaf, and was just about as long as the main leaf. Thickness must have mattered to them because they measured the factory leaf thickness with digital vernier caliper. Got the springs back with an inch too much arc to them, went back to the shop and they rearched them to where I wanted them while I waited, took all of 3 or 4 minutes...I was surprised how quickly they did them. Still haven't installed the springs, sure hope the car sits right...they assured me that I'd have a hard time telling if the springs were stiffer while driving the car because that was one of my concerns. Cheers, junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                .....a crap shoot. if you're not really interested in the car's profile, simply add a leaf to both sides from the #1 or #2 of same type spring. There's no way you can calculate what used spring "A" will do to your ride height compared to used spring "B".
                Right, but I've got time and little money. It can't hurt to try.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yep, and if you don't like the results You can always go back.
                  Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Right, but I've got time and little money. It can't hurt to try.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Look in the JC Whitney catalog. they used to sell an add a leaf. I have a pair under the 54 wagon and they work slick.
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

On my 51 I took 2 top leaves and cut the knobs off and put them in where the second leaf was. And it rides good sets about right.

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I just have to find some springs to cut. I may have to hit the salvage yard with a tape and find something. I remember reading something about using an S-10 spring, but I don't remember if it was for a car application.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

It would have to be a Stude every arch is different. That I have found.

Comment

Any Studebaker or only similar years?
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I can't tell you that. I measured the ones I had and bought a set at York.

Comment

Working...
                              X