GT Rear Seat Brace Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Rear Seat Brace Needed

Anyone have a "solid" GT, (or other K body), rear seat lower mount / floor brace? I am installing GT seats in my C-body and also want to gain some stiffness. Are all K body rear seat braces the same?

Jon Kammer

I have one in a 62 Iam parting out right now, they are a bitch to get out, one needs to cut front and back of it and at the ends and then drill out the spot welds then it is ready to use, ask nibbs 53 as he has just done it with the last 63 body we cut up.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Right now I haven't decided whether to use brace or not. Have to get with Bob on what backseat I am going to use.
      It has taken about three hours to cut brace out of the car and drilled out the spot welds. The inside dimension between the 62 and my 53 is about three quarters of an inch, the 62 been longer. The driveshaft tunnels are also different. The foot wells are different.
      I will take some pictures and post them later.

Nibbs53

Comment

So would it make sense to use a 53-58 K car as I am putting it in a 61 C-body. I wish you were closer so I could borrow one to measure and fabricate one. Maybe it makes the most sense to fab one narrower. I'll watch for the photos.

JK

Comment

JK. Here is one picture of the center across driveshaft tunnel. You can see how much you have to shorten it.

Second picture. Driver-side I will cut three quarters of an inch or so out of it to make it fit then but weld and gussied it back together.

Will cut the center over the driveshaft tunnel to fit.

Comment

Nibbs,

Thanks for posting the photos. It looks simple enough to fab, I work in a sheet metal fab shop. A friend emailed and he has a bare body GT that I cam measure once the snow melts. Zero degrees today in Southern Wisconsin, may be a few weeks yet.

Thanks,

JK

Comment

How does the lower GT cushion locate itself?

Bob,

I see the bottom front of my GT rear seat cushion has two arms made of rod coming down from the sprigs that look like they push up against the back of the floor brace to keep it from moving forward. Are there hooks in the back for the bottom to locate into? Does the front of the cushion bottom rest on top of the brace?

JK

Comment

The rear seat bottom just snaps in place behind the floor brace, the brace is carpeted front and top.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Thanks Bob.

JK

Comment

Working...
                  X