Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 Lark VIII Regal Rear end questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1959 Lark VIII Regal Rear end questions!

OK guys and Gals You seem to be very knowledgeable about the secifications of Studebaker Cars and Trucks so here are My questions.
    1. Did Larks in 1959 Have a form of POSI TRACTION? As You know I have a couple Lark regal VIII's , a 2 DR. Wagon and also a 4DR. sedan. The wagon has 3spd on the tree with overdrive and the 4Dr. has an automatic. I was just wondering if there is a special # or tag at the rear end housing that I might find the information that I seek. 2.Also just wondering if the rear ends are worth the effort to install into My 1951 2Dr. Commander State Starlight Coupe. As always Your input is appreciated.
    Patrick Sammon

Studebaker first had Twin Traction (like a GM Positraction) available on pickups in 1956 and on cars in 1957. So, yes, a 1959 may have TT. One easy way to tell is to take the plug out of the differential and try to stick a finger in the hole. If it almost immediately hits something, you have TT.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonderd what the TT in the Circle ment? I'm pretty sure the wagon is Twin Traction as the TT chrome piece if from the 59 Lark regal 2dr wagon. But will it (The rear end fit My 51 Commander Starlight, without shortening it? Comments appreciated!
      Patrick Sammon

Comment

51-52 rear ends are shorter/narrower than 53 and newer.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My mechanic took a good hard look at the Commander rear end ( and says it should be just fine as The 51 Commander already had a V8 Stock from the factory), and since the car only has 54000 original We will just change the fluid and seals and give it a go. Thanks for Your replies all!
          Patrick Sammon

Comment

The other way to tell is if the tags & decal are missing is turning the rear wheels while they are off the ground. If you turn one side & the other side turns the same way its a twin traction rear. If the other side turns the opposite way, then its a standard "open" rear.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes.
              My 59, 259, auto trans., Lark, 2dr. wagon has a Dana positraction unit, along with 3.55 gears.
              While it is worn out...it is there. It needs friction plates.

Mike

P.s. - like in my case...turning the tires is NOT a definate way to verify a posi unit. The only way to positivly tell...is by removing the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
                My mechanic took a good hard look at the Commander rear end ( and says it should be just fine as The 51 Commander already had a V8 Stock from the factory), and since the car only has 54000 original We will just change the fluid and seals and give it a go. Thanks for Your replies all!
                When you change the fluid in a TT differential, add a small can of limited slip fluid, such as used for Positraction by GM.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
                  Did your mechanic's "hard look" include measuring the track width of the two and the "nose" length?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Did your mechanic's "hard look" include measuring the track width of the two and the "nose" length?
                    I took it to mean that the mechanic said the differential that was already in the 51 was fine, being that it is already a Dana 44.

Maybe Patrick can clarify this.

A key question is; what is the ratio, or what type of transmission was in the car originally and what type will be going into it. You want the proper axle ratios to go with the engine/transmission combination.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes Roy it is a Dana 44 and the internals are very clean with no visible wear, also the brakes look brand new. I'll try to get some pics this week and post them Thanks all!
                      Patrick Sammon

Comment

Working...
                      X