Getting a car across the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a car across the country

It's possible I may be moving from California to Alabama this summer. Currently looking at taking a U-Haul with my girlfriend's car towed behind. Assuming I don't decide to sell the Lark, can you guys recommend a way to get it across the country? It's not a show queen or anything, I'd be fine with an un-covered shipping service... or paying gas for any fellow Studebaker driver who happens to be hauling a trailer in that direction

DRIVE it!! Since it will be in summer, check out the Events section in Turning Wheels and attend a meet or two along the way!

Craig

Comment

Extremely tempting... I'm just a little tentative about driving over 2000 miles in a 52 year old car. I've never gone further than about 40 miles. I'll be working remotely for the same company, so I should be able to leave the car here when I move, then come back at some point for work and drive it to AL.

I'm just not sure what I'd do if my transmission blows up in Arizona

Comment

Why not tow it and drive the GF car?
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Tow it behind the U haul on a trailer rented from same. Safest most economical way. cheers jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Rent the largest uhaul and put the smallest car inside and tow the other.

Comment

If it runs good is in good shape and has never given you any troubles I also vote for drive it. Take a week off get a couple buddies and have a fun road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                Why not tow it and drive the GF car?
                Most practical solution. Stude behind the Uhaul, you drive the truck, she drives her car. Not as much fun as driving the Stude though.

PS Congrats on getting away from California!
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

If you decide to drive the Stude Im sure you could find help from fellow Stude owners along the way if needed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jff View Post
                    Extremely tempting... I'm just a little tentative about driving over 2000 miles in a 52 year old car. I've never gone further than about 40 miles. I'll be working remotely for the same company, so I should be able to leave the car here when I move, then come back at some point for work and drive it to AL.

I'm just not sure what I'd do if my transmission blows up in Arizona
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Man I can sure tell most of us on this site are sure getting older. I bet if most of us where looking at this 30-40 years ago we would all be going drive it.

Comment

I believe forum member (tomnoller) moved from Washington to Iowa towing his Avanti on a trailer behind a U-haul. You might PM him and see what he might recommend.

Bob

Comment

I am 70 and would still drive it.

Comment

We just read about someone last week who had no problem DRIVING his new Hawk home: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...awk-R1-4-Speed

Craig

Comment

Another option if you decide not to drive it, would be to check with Peg Trucking. I understand their rates are reasonable, and if you are flexible on timing you might even negotiate a better rate.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X