Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts needed for a 51 Commander Restoration

Hi all

I am Restoring a 51 Commander 2dr starlite coupe V-8 Automatic Drive. This is a nice, fairly low mileage car, but has spent its life in New England and has a few issues

I would love to find good frt and rear fenders and have been looking some, but no luck so far, of course the weather in the Midwest has not helped as many of the nice folks I've talked to have their stuff buried in snow
    Also looking for a frame crossmember that holds the rear engine mounts
    I will be at the York PA swap meet in a couple of weeks and looking forward to meeting many of you there.
    Ill add the Stude part #'s of a few things I need if it helps

RR fender 293578p
    LR fender 293581p
    RF fender 293218
    LF fender 293219
    Crossmember 530136
    brake cable 519795
    brake cable 530130
    also trying to learn more about the Camshaft issues, the lifters in this engine are badly worn, the Cam does not look to bad from a quick visual inspection but I am leery given the condition of the lifters

Any help, advise, leads greatly appreciated,
    Chris Coon

Welcome to the forum. I have one just like it I restored with help from here on the forum and love it. I am too far to offer much help but I know there are many in your area. Joining the Studebaker Drivers Club is a great place to start and will fill in a lot of the information you want.
    Rob

Comment

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum! I am currently restoring a 1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser, so we are kind of in the same boat. There are some great guys here that will be able to help you out. I look forward to seeing some pictures.
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5
      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Welcome Chris! Without dragging out my parts books, are we talking about the crossmember that goes from one door pillar to the other? I think I might have one.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Chris,
          Look us up at York! I hope to take a Forum group photo in front of Old Main at 11:30 on Saturday.
          One of mine is a '51 Commander State 5-passenger with automatic!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Wow Thanks for the welcome

Nice Land Cruiser, is that interior original? It's in great condition

Roscomacaw, yes, the crossmember attaches to the body right around the back of the frt fenders
            i should have posted my contact info
            860-248-1102 cell
            steam1912@yahoo.com. Let me know, I'm interested

Brad, see you in York! Thanks

Comment

Hey all

would 50 front fenders fit my 51? My parts book doesn't cover 1950
              any help appreciated

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Coon View Post
                Hey all

would 50 front fenders fit my 51? My parts book doesn't cover 1950
                any help appreciated

Chris
                Hello Chris,

Yes and no. The Land Cruiser and the Commanders had longer fenders (someone correct me if I am wrong) in 1950 to accommodate the larger 6 cylinder. However, the Champion fenders from 1950 will work on a 1951 Champion or, in your case, a Commander. I found this out a while back when I purchased some chrome headlight rims that came of a 1950 Land Cruiser and realized that they were way too big!
                1947 Studebaker M-5
                1946 Studebaker M-5
                1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Thanks, that saved me a serious mistake. The fenders in question were from a 50 commander, and a long way from home.

I'm hopeful that I have a good RF fender on the way and both rear one's also. Still searching for a LF fender and the frame crossmember

Maybe they will be at York

Comment

I have a 1951 automatic cross member. Since you have an automatic, a 3 speed tranny with od will not work. If you can not find one from the other members, please email me at royvaldez@wildblue.net

Comment

Chris- I have rebuilt several of the 232's, and when rebuilt they are tough, high revving V-8s! The camshaft may have been replaced by a recall if an early model, but you may find yours worn, as the lifters, due to it being subjected dirty crappy oil for many many miles. (Look for spalling or pitting on the cam lobes and lifters) When I have a cam reground, I usually send the lifters to also get resurfaced. Make sure to add ZDDP additive to your oil as modern oils don't offer the correct protection for flat tappets.

Comment

There is always that chance that this Car was owned by someone who never returned it for Dealer Service and never got notified of the recall, meaning the Lifters and Cam should be replaced with the improved parts.

I have seen 232's with thin metal tags on the Rocker Arm Stands indicating, I believe that it was updated.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The front fenders from ANY 51 Studebaker car will fit, Champion or Commander, any body style.

Regardless of all the false information out there and even though they look similar, and no one seems to do their research, 50 Champion front fenders are not the same as 51 front fenders.

For the rear fenders, you can use 50-52, although the tail light mounts are slightly different on the 50 models. These can come from any body style that has two doors; starlight coupe, business coupe, convertible, two door sedan, or 52 hard top.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks to everyone that has helped w my parts needs, this is a very active, and very helpful group.
                            I'm still following a few leads, but it looks like the only major piece I'm lacking is a RF fender

thanks again
                            Chris

Comment

Front fenders from a 1950 Champion will not bolt on the 1951 Commander. The inner panels may not clear the V8 engine and the wheel base is different and that makes the wheel opening in the wrong place so you have to cut and move it so the tires don't rub on a turn. It will not bolt up to the core support properly. I have used 50 fenders on a 51 but it takes a lot of modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X