X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend called one of the best places to retire

Unfortunately, not one mention of Studebaker history :/

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Is there really 782,000 people in Grand Rapids, Mich.??
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

I don't know who writes these things, but when I retire Grand Rapids, South Bend and Erie, Pa won't be on my list. It will be some place warm.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
        I don't know who writes these things, but when I retire Grand Rapids, South Bend and Erie, Pa won't be on my list. It will be some place warm.
        That will also be my #1 consideration when that time comes for me.

Craig

Comment

I don't want to retire here and I live here!

Comment

"down at the heels image" Really? What rust belt surviving city dosen't have some of that?!?

Comment

Lived in Michiana for 23 years and then Florida for 20 years. Been here 6 years and they have had a long tough winter by CT standards. Why am I looking at the atlas again! Just kidding as I like New Englsnd...especially when it is not winter.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                These kind of surveys/ad's always are suspect to me.
                Why would AARP make a list like that?
                Wonder what their membership penetration is in those areas?
                If property values are a driving factor, then everyone should be flocking to Detroit in droves.
                Go figure....
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

With a median home price of $82,500, moving to South Bend makes financial sense for some people. Personally, I enjoy living here in New England, where one can experience the 'Change of Seasons'

Comment

After the snow we have had in Chicagoland this winter, I'm looking south of here to retire. South Bend gets a good deal more snow than we do near Chicago and with the lake, it piles in there a lot quicker.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      After the snow we have had in Chicagoland this winter, I'm looking south of here to retire. South Bend gets a good deal more snow than we do near Chicago and with the lake, it piles in there a lot quicker.
                      Agree on the lake effect snow after living in the Michiana area for 23 years. One year there was heavy wind and snow and drifts 6-8' deep. Michigan front-end loaders came and lifted the snow as plows couldn't push it. Two weeks before we could get out. A neighbor had a snowmobile and took orders. It was kind of funny at the time. First three priorities---milk, beer, cigarettes.

There are many nice areas around South Bend and in the city, also. Quality of life can be good, but winter does come. When we left for FL in '88 I threw away the snow shovel. Arriving in CT in 2008 I bought another!
                      Last edited by Bob Bryant; 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM. Reason: date
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

They forgot to mention the high crime and run down neighborhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                          They forgot to mention the high crime and run down neighborhoods.
                          There's a rumor going around that Florida has them also!!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            There's a rumor going around that Florida has them also!!
                            Who doesn't like warmer weather, but for me, that won't be a reason to up and move 1,000 miles or something.

I'm a curmudgeon, increasingly, about crowds and too many people. I figure, a square mile is a square mile wherever one lives, but if you have to share it with fewer people, you might be happier.

I wouldn't mind moving back to my hometown (population 5,900), which has had its challenges but I swear, I bump into more people I know there than where I've lived since 1991! It's because there are fewer people.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                              I retired in '06. Low house payment, low taxes. Got a 100 year old farm house. 21/4 acres. A 25x30 man cave. Can't afford to move. We usally snow bird. Stayed home this winter. Wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X