PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Note: You've got to be kidding me...

BobPalma
02-18-2014, 07:03 PM
At about 2:38, note (no pun intended) the discussion of how "they" are going to make small engines sound powerful enough for enthusiasts...with an Exhaust Dynamic Sound Generator, of course! (An amplifier and speaker so the car sounds powerful):

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140218/VIDEO/302189979/autonews-now-900-sales-per-dealership?cciid=email-autonews-annow&r=3337D4772912B9W

Oh, puhleeez... :eek: shades of the eighth grade, trying to figure out which girls had falsies. :QQ: BP

jclary
02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Good Grief!!!:o We were doing the same thing as twelve-year-olds...Remember putting that flap of cardboard on your bike forks secured in place with a couple of your mom's clothes pins? Those card board engines fluttering in your spokes...and a little imagination...and we were all "Harley Riders!":rolleyes:

The new dark age is fast approaching.:(

BobPalma
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
An excellent analogy, John. :!: BP

WinM1895
02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Ricer (Honda/Toyota etc) owners have been in-famous for installing...what is known as a "fart can" on their cars.

This is a tailpipe extension that makes the cars 4 banger engines sound REAL LOUD.

btw: When Lee Iacocca added vinyl tops to the 1962 Falcon Futura, FoMoCo prexy Robert MacNamara said it was "akin to installing falsies on grandma!"

Dick Steinkamp
02-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Ricer (Honda/Toyota etc) owners have been in-famous for installing...what is known as a "fart can" on their cars. This is a tailpipe extension that makes the cars 4 banger engines sound REAL LOUD.

It's a good thing we never did anything like this back in the day. ;)

Dick Steinkamp
02-18-2014, 08:53 PM
These "sound tracks" have been around since 2011...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/the-rise-of-the-fake-engine-roar-11291754

I am no fan of the fake engine noise, but cars have had "fake" items since...well, since there were cars.

Vinyl roofs were already mentioned. How about fins and dashboards that look like jets. Wheel covers that look like mags. What else?

BobPalma
02-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Well, we have already discussed (in other threads) the fake left-side dual exhaust "outlet" on 1956 Studebaker sedans with single exhaust. ;)

In fact, consider many 1950s cars that had accomodations for dual exhausts that looked a little odd on single-exhuast cars. 1957 Pontiacs come to mind, with the blank-outs (actually, one less punch per side during manufacture) for duals. :cool: BP

WinM1895
02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
These "sound tracks" have been around since 2011...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/the-rise-of-the-fake-engine-roar-11291754

I am no fan of the fake engine noise, but cars have had "fake" items since...well, since there were cars.

Vinyl roofs were already mentioned. How about fins and dashboards that look like jets. Wheel covers that look like mags.

What else?
Fake 'painted vinyl roofs' were offered by FoMoCo in black or white in the late 1960's for Passenger Cars/Trucks.

Also available at the parts counter in one quart cans for dealer or owner installed installations. Could be sprayed or brushed on.

C7AZ-19500-Y .. White "Wrinkle" Paint / C7AZ-19500-Z .. Black "Wrinkle" Paint.

btw: Many new cars/trucks so called "dual exhausts" are nothing more than an tailpipe extension that branches off behind the muffler to the right or left.

My 2013 Ford Escape with the 1.6L 4 banger Eco-Boost has these fake duals.

rockne10
02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
I think I saw a video once of a ricer with a coffee can tail pipe who could play a melody by altering the rpm's! :woot:
Any time I go by one, or it goes by me, I think, "I know a shop that could "fix" that exhaust problem." ;)

EssexExport
02-19-2014, 06:11 AM
Headers with a performance exhaust are the way to go. Nothing fake about this:

<font size="4">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQx5QXDp7Vw

arthurc1946
02-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Would probably work best on the new elecric cars. JUST FOR NOSTALGIC PURPOSES !! Will have to tune radio to specific station ,since manufctrs. are soon discontinuing installing CD players. NEW VENTURE: CALL IN FOR SPECIFIC EXH.TONE (R/RACE-OVALTRACK-DRAGS-JUST RUNNIN THE GEARS "WITH AUTHORITY".WADAYA THINK?

8E45E
02-19-2014, 07:12 AM
btw: Many new cars/trucks so called "dual exhausts" are nothing more than an tailpipe extension that branches off behind the muffler to the right or left.

And 'dual antennas'. Only one of the two was used for reception while the other was there for looks.

And with Studebaker, haven't were heard that before with Sherwood Egbert wanting the loudest glasspacks allowable on the Avanti??

Craig

BobWaitz
02-19-2014, 07:47 AM
When I was first thinking about building an M5 I seriously considered going electric and attended a couple of meetings of the local Electric Vehicle society. Ultimately I decided against it because I wasn't satisfied with the price vs performance of the current state of technology. Had I gone that way, you better believe there would be a large sub-woofer where the gas tank should be hooked to an iPod full of every engine sound imaginable.

8E45E
02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Had I gone that way, you better believe there would be a large sub-woofer where the gas tank should be hooked to an iPod full of every engine sound imaginable.

A late 70's synthesized doorbell comes to mind where one was able to select 25 or so different tunes. They have to one of the stupidest, dumbest things ever invented! Some former neighbors incorporated one into their renovation, and I was less that impressed with it. Long after you got your coat off and a beer in your hand, the thing was still playing away with obviously fake Westminster "chimes". An electrical storm finished it off a few years later when a surge blew its memory chip, and scrambled all the 'tunes'. Needless to say, they replaced it with a conventional doorbell after that.

Craig

BobWaitz
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Bah! You'd be super impressed when you heard my truck purring like a Mazda Rotary!

8E45E
02-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Bah! You'd be super impressed when you heard my truck purring like a Mazda Rotary!

Placing an AM radio tuned to no particular station where all you hear is static under the hood and connected to your loudspeaker will give the same effect! :D

Craig

rodnutrandy
02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
I have a Cd made off a tape of street racing in the late 60s ,early 70s, Has 340s, 383s, 440s and a hemi running a 440 6pk. I can choose what I want to listen to ,but it doesn't go outside .

Xcalibur
02-19-2014, 10:30 PM
The world just CONTINUES to change around us, doesn't it!

Btw, how DO you tell if the girls have falsies???

8E45E
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Btw, how DO you tell if the girls have falsies???

When she admits she bought them from the Fuller Bust man!

Craig

63t-cab
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Oh the decks of playing cards I lifted,and Mom in the back ground "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE ":eek::mad: and then You would flip them around,and take short advantage of the curved cards :!:

Good Grief!!!:o We were doing the same thing as twelve-year-olds...Remember putting that flap of cardboard on your bike forks secured in place with a couple of your mom's clothes pins? Those card board engines fluttering in your spokes...and a little imagination...and we were all "Harley Riders!":rolleyes:

The new dark age is fast approaching.:(