Year of manufacture license plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year of manufacture license plate

Just returned from Virginia DMV to get year of manufacture plate for the 89 Avanti. A 1989 Va plate with the appropriate 89 sticker on it was bought and taken to the DMV. But, they said, that is not a year of manufacture plate in spite of presence of the "89" sticker so the choice became an ugly yellow plate or a skinny black and white plate that would look good or a 1922 T bucket. Year of manufacture plates have the date embossed into the plate, DMV said. If I get two Va plates, (privately made) that have the 89 year embossed ($200) it could be registered but there is no guarantee as the number(s) embossed were not already assigned. To avoid this the ugly yellow plate was registered for the 89 Avanti and its numbers will be used on the privately made 89 plates; which then becomes a year of manufacture plate. I think next time I'll have a tooth pulled instead of going to DMV but they were just following the rules. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
    Just returned from Virginia DMV to get year of manufacture plate for the 89 Avanti. A 1989 Va plate with the appropriate 89 sticker on it was bought and taken to the DMV. But, they said, that is not a year of manufacture plate in spite of presence of the "89" sticker so the choice became an ugly yellow plate or a skinny black and white plate that would look good or a 1922 T bucket. Year of manufacture plates have the date embossed into the plate, DMV said. If I get two Va plates, (privately made) that have the 89 year embossed ($200) it could be registered but there is no guarantee as the number(s) embossed were not already assigned. To avoid this the ugly yellow plate was registered for the 89 Avanti and its numbers will be used on the privately made 89 plates; which then becomes a year of manufacture plate. I think next time I'll have a tooth pulled instead of going to DMV but they were just following the rules. Ken, Deltaville, Va
    I had a correct West Virginia plate that I could use on my '64(s). I went on line and looked up the requirements to registering the tag (which included making a full size color copy of it (??). When I gave the DMV woman the tag copy she ran the numbers through the computer and said I couldn't use that tag. Those numbers were in use on a handicapped tag.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm real happy with the year of manufacture plates that were given to Me by a friend for My Speedster....Much nicer, I think, than the generic modern reflective Mass antique auto plates.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ken, take a look at this link - especially for the years 1981 and 1989: http://www.15q.net/va.html

it appears if your plate has an "I" "O" or "Q", it could be used for a 1989 vehicle. if so, i'd print this info and look for similar info online from your DMV and take it all and speak to a supervisor.

it certainly wouldn't be the first time a DMV clerk would be wrong!

here in NC, i and others keep a copy of the "General Statutes" page that relates to YOM plates - just in case a "rookie" officer pulls us over...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

In AZ we don't have a requirement to have the plate be embossed with the year. I have a 1972 Porsche with a 72 sticker on it. Mind you the lady at the DMV had ehr head spin when i told her what I wanted to do. However AZ does require the current registration sticker be put on the plate (unlike Mass whicj you just have to have th sticker). I was able to get away with this by putting a clear cover on the plate and put the sticker on it. Now I just need to find a 1950 AZ plate for the Studevette. They are just about as rare as a left handed screw driver, at least at a decent price. best of luck with the VA DMV

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
            Ken, take a look at this link - especially for the years 1981 and 1989: http://www.15q.net/va.html

it appears if your plate has an "I" "O" or "Q", it could be used for a 1989 vehicle./Cut/
            That's hilarious, are you sure it's not: "I O U"?

Wow some of these DMV "rules", someone that writes them ought to be shot!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I guess different states have different qualifications. I put a YOM plate on my '64 wagon in PA. I also put a '64 new car dealer tag on my '64 GT as I'm building it as a tribute to my Uncle Al who was a dealer up to the 80's!
              Rob in PA.

Comment

The DMV in each state has its own hoops to jump. When we were getting our cars into the CT system in 2008 Carol and I had to return home get proof that we were married. We had presented the vehicle titles and FL documentation. We married in 1960 and wondered what the outcome would have been if hadn't or couldn't find proof! Our son took our boat and trailer back to Michigan in December and I am trying to convince the proper folks that the trailer went with the boat; although, with all the snow maybe John could have made it without the trailer! It would have looked strange going down the highway behind the P/U.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Three things:
                  1. Every state's laws are rules regarding YOM plates are different.
                  2. YOM requests are sufficiently rare that many DMV personnel don't know the rules and will give out bad info.
                  3. WRT Virginia in particular: the 1984 Va base plates are still legal, though very few of them are still on the street. As a result, your 89 plates would not be recognizable as YOM plates by the police -- it would just look like a current plate with an expired sticker. So (along with many other states that still have 20 or 30-year-old base plates on the street), Va basically ruled that only plates with an embossed date (essentially 72 for cars and 74 for trucks) can be used as YOM. If Va ever completes their long-promised rolling plate program and replaces all the 6-character car plates, then they may relent and allow you to use the 89 plates. Take comfort that you're not alone -- many other states have similar rules.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I hunted for a pair of 1946 Ohio plates for a good while before I was educated to the fact that Ohio only used 1 plate in 1946 due to the war (save metal ) . Neat part is I only have to run 1 plate due to that where we normally run 2 !
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                    X