Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the history of this Ted Harbit Chicken Hawk poster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the history of this Ted Harbit Chicken Hawk poster?

Found this poster on ebay. Was not aware of it. When was this made?

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

I was given one by Ted at the PSMCDRs. He wouldn't accept money for the poster....so I donated to the "fuel fund".
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Don, IIRC, the artist's name was Ron Lewis. I don't know him but, of course, Ted does.

Ron made the posters first available at the 2002 SDC International Meet in South Bend, for $20 each. He had them serially numbered, starting with #1, of course, on up to #1951, the symbolic print run. So there were just under 2,000 of them printed AFAIK. But there may be more, not signed by both men, or just signed by Ted.

As luck would have it, I wandered by Ron's table in the 2002 SDC International Swap Meet and saw the fresh stack of them, just out to sell. Right on top was #1 of the 1951; he hadn't sold any yet! Ron wasn't around, but they were priced at $20, so I was tickled pink to be able to buy #1. Ron's young daughter (maybe 8 or 9 years old?) was tending the booth, so I gave her my $20 bill, took the top one on the stack, and walked away.

A few minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder as I was walking down the aisle. It was Ron Lewis himself, who had returned to the swap space. His daughter gave him the $20, proud that she had sold a new poster for him.

But he explained that he never wanted to / intended to sell #1 and would I please give it back to him and accept #2, and if I would, he promised he would keep #1 and I would have the first one that had been "sold to the public." That sounded reasonable and I could see how that could happen, so I returned #1 to him and he gave me #2.

I had it framed and it is on the wall of my shop:

Although sunlight cannot "hit" it (it is on the south wall, facing north), the signatures are fading. Nonetheless, Ron's autograph and 2/1951 are still visible:

The posters did not prove to be as popular as Ron (and Ted?) thought they might be , so Ted has (or had) quite a few and, on occasion, has actually given them away, depending on the circumstances. Ted may have a few remaining that would be available for little more than the price of the postage, to account for his time and materials to package and send them out.

But he might also be out of them; I have not checked lately. You might contact Ted here through the forum (Handle: Chicken Hawk) if you'd like to have one, and see what he has to say. (Or, he might see this thread and post.) BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've got 188 laminated and hanging in a spot of honor in my man cave...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

One's hanging in my shop for inspiration.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

this ebay poster is NOT the Ted Harbit/Chicken Hawk poster you are looking for!!! (waving my hand across the screen for the "Jedi" effect).

says the only bidder (right now), and has a thin wallet...

honestly, let the marketplace rule. good luck, and hopefully more of these will show up!

i placed my bid before i saw this thread.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I have a few of them and with only Ted's name on it, I think I got a hand full from Ted in Cedar Rapids for free if I would use them at chapter raffles that way other people would be able to get one and the chapter would make a little money for the chapter. here is a picture of mine mounted and hung for all to see.

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                this ebay poster is NOT the Ted Harbit/Chicken Hawk poster you are looking for!!! (waving my hand across the screen for the "Jedi" effect).

says the only bidder (right now), and has a thin wallet...

honestly, let the marketplace rule. good luck, and hopefully more of these will show up!

i placed my bid before i saw this thread.
                Kerry: Why not contact Ted and see if he has any more? If he does and the price would be cheaper than you've bid, just let the auction run out and don't bid again if someone bids against you.

OTOH, if you are high bidder at the price, go ahead and finish the e-bay transaction. It is a numbered one, which is more valuable (or might be some day!) than the "plain" ones, so don't sweat it either way. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Corvanti, I will not be bidding against you. I was curious because I was not aware of this poster.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I got two from Ted at the 2012 IM in South Bend, he signed both for me. I kept one and donated the other to our annual Chapter auction. Neither of these have the "serial numbers." So maybe more have been printed?
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                      Corvanti, I will not be bidding against you. I was curious because I was not aware of this poster.
                      Don, it really isn't a problem if someone else picks this up! well, except i'll be a little sad.

while i'd like to have a "numbered original", perhaps Mr. Harbit still has a few still available.

or maybe - if enough demand is shown here - Mr. H and the artist Mr. Lewis, would agree to make non-numbered prints available for purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                        I got two from Ted at the 2012 IM in South Bend, he signed both for me. I kept one and donated the other to our annual Chapter auction. Neither of these have the "serial numbers." So maybe more have been printed?
                        I think so, Pat. We'll ask Ted to confirm.

They may have originally printed more than 1951 and only numbered and signed the first 1951. BP

Comment

I was glad to buy a print from Ted himself a couple of years ago at the South Bend swap meet (for $2.00 I believe). He graciously signed it. It was not a limited edition/numbered print. I didn't know they were originally produced in a limited edition. Having produced a few limited edition prints myself, the concept is that when you print a limited edition print, the artist will sign and number it, and if the subject matter contains an individual that is alive and willing to do so, they too will sign the print. All of the aforementioned factors will tend to increase the value of the artwork...versus a unlimited number of printed posters not signed or numbered. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Sorry for not posting sooner. Between sub zero weather, frozen pipes, then rain and sun out, colonoscopy, trying to keep the water from getting into the garage and failing, I haven't been to the post office to check on tubes to send them in. I just scrounged up five tubes I can use so if there aren't any more than that I'm ok. If there are more than five, I'lll try to get to the post office to see if they have them and how much they are and the mailing cost.

I don't have any more with numbers or with Ron's signature on them but I will sign them if you want.

What I need now if for anyone that wants one, to email me (tedharbit@aol.com) with your mailing address and who it is for so I can put that on the poster with my signature IF you want it. When I find out how many and if I need to get more tubes, I'll let you know the shipping and if needed cost of the tubes. I'll let you know what the cost is before sending and if you want one, don't send any thing until you get it.

In case anyone would want more than one, I can put them both (or three or whatever) in the same tube. I may be a little slow yet as I have to get the garage dried out and all the things that got wet. Was up until 3:00 am the same day as the colonoscopy with sump pump going and bailing water with a bucket but lost the battle.

Hope I've covered everything. If not ask and I'll try to answer. I will acknowledge your email so you will know I got it. Sometimes, not often but my computer does not accept emails?

Thanks to everyone for the interest.

Ted

Comment

hi, Mr. Harbit. email sent!

someone outbid me for the poster on ebay. oh well, i was busy working on a car and forgot to check the auction.

i hope this next batch of cold weather y'all are supposed to get in a few days doesn't cause any more problems!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X