PDA

View Full Version : Have you driven a Buick...lately?

junior
02-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I was recently afforded the opportunity to drive a 2014 Buick Regal for a week and report back via a daily journal to a columnist for our local city newspaper. Last time I drove a Buick was probably 1989 when I recall driving most of the line-up when I was a sales person for a Chev-Olds dealership. In one word...WOW...have they come a long ways. I fully realize that all cars are a heaps better than anything produced 25 years ago, but the difference in the character of the Buick is truly amazing. The most striking feature was the engine/trans combo. A 2 litre turbo motor and 6 spd. auto that work so well together. The engine has heaps of power and the trans will hold any given gear to almost the redline before shifting...this car moves! Put it in drive...stab the throttle and enjoy the ride...the tranny will bang through the first 3 gears as fast as I could manually shift it. Consider this, a tad under 260 hp, and 295 pounds of torque (at 2000 rpm) from 122 cubic inches and runs on crappy regular fuel...now remember this is modern SAE net figures, not inflated gross figures from the 60's. Compare these figures to say something like a Stude R1! Second pleasant surprise...the chassis. This car can handle and brake like no Buick I've ever driven...flat, composed and goes exactly where its pointed at all times...this car handles as well as Mrs. Junior's Mazda 6 which is no slouch in the handling dept. Third nice surprise...all wheel drive. This car has crazy traction in the snow...and absolutely no tire spin on dry pavement...even at -22C. Foot to the floor in snow on corners is returned with oversteer at first, and then understeer as you gather speed...what a riot! Needless to say I was impressed...Buick has come a looooong way. cheers, Junior. ps, was thinking about posting my seven day journal but it`s a little too wordy at 3500 words. (will be interesting to see how the journalist puts a `spin`on my journal comments, says the feature will probably be printed in March.)

DEEPNHOCK
02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Spent the weekend down in 'The Villages', a retirement community in Lady Lake, Florida.
I saw a lot (to me anyways) of Buicks down there... All in very nice condition.
The Buick SUV seems to be very popular down there...

Captain Billy
02-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Ya.... I drove a Buick this morning, and will again tomorrow but it's a 1996, won't consider another wagon until this comes along.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1094718_385121228277262_92916348_o.jpg

packardHawk58
02-17-2014, 03:23 AM
here's my Buick ride.....not as new as your Buicks but drives as good as new!

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194/packardhawk58/001-1.jpg (http://s971.photobucket.com/user/packardhawk58/media/001-1.jpg.html)

avantilover
02-17-2014, 04:51 AM
Gee Brian. Is there anything you haven't got? Must come over and test drive. Lol

rockinhawk
02-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Not lately,but the first car i ever drove,at age 10, was a 51 Buick. Strait Eight with automatic.

EssexExport
02-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Bet you could be on the highway with that new Buick doing 80, but you'd swear its 60. Had that experience going from a '96 S-10 Blazer to my '05 PT Cruiser GT.

FlatheadGeo
02-17-2014, 08:08 AM
All of my past Buicks, four in total, had excellent power and the ride was great!!!

1962larksedan
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
here's my Buick ride.....not as new as your Buicks but drives as good as new!

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194/packardhawk58/001-1.jpg (http://s971.photobucket.com/user/packardhawk58/media/001-1.jpg.html)

Talk about eerie there: a 1968-69 Buick Sportwagon 400.............I saw an unrestored 1969 in Los Angeles 30 years ago. Rear swaybar and all but this one did not have disc brakes.

8E45E
02-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Spent the weekend down in 'The Villages', a retirement community in Lady Lake, Florida.
I saw a lot (to me anyways) of Buicks down there... All in very nice condition.
The Buick SUV seems to be very popular down there...

I suspect Buick will continue having a difficult time shaking that 'Over 60' image, regardless what the press has to say about their latest cars.

Craig

jclary
02-17-2014, 08:56 AM
My first car was a Buick. It was a 1955 (in 1963). It was a great car!:!: My last Buicks were two that I bought new in 1983. They were the best Buick built at that time. They were not "lemons." However, even being the best (from Buick) they were totally horrible disappointing pieces of crap. Dealers attitude for service was OK, but how good could any dealer be that had to attempt to support such garbage.:mad:

It was a great example of how large corporations can wander off course. Fit, finish, and performance was horrible with those early 3.0 V6's. On the Century, the rack and pinion assemblys were replaced by the thousands. Embarrassingly, for me, it was a lesson in suckering into slick sales promotions and shiny objects.:o The positive side was that I learned the value of certified letters to appropriate Corporate offices in resolving problems related to shoddy work. This period in my life was also about the time I had launched my career in industrial sales. Suddenly, I was both consumer and provider of products made by huge corporations. I had to believe that what I was selling was worth buying.

Many of you already know to look beyond the sales hype, glitz, and speed of these shiny objects. I was late to the game.:o I hope Buick has recovered from those days...they taught me a lot. I suppose, enough time has past for me to give them another look.:)

So...if a Buick representative happens to drive to my house, and I have nothing better to do...I might go out and look at it.:rolleyes:

WinM1895
02-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Isn't the current Buick Regal the former Saturn Aura, that was sold as an Opel in Europe?

qsanford
02-17-2014, 11:04 AM
They really love the Buicks in China. I believe that is why the Buick division was spared the fate of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn, and Hummer.

WinM1895
02-17-2014, 11:57 AM
They really love the Buicks in China. I believe that is why the Buick division was spared the fate of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn, and Hummer.
"Buicks" sold in China are rebadged Daewoo's!

02-17-2014, 04:08 PM
I was impressed with the looks of the Buicks, but they have to move the gas filler back where it belongs (driver's side)...

1962larksedan
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM

That's quite possible although apparently 'our' Buick Division was profitable 5 year ago along with the GMC Division so they both lived on..........

JDP
02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Favorite Buick pic

http://stude.com/Buick.jpg

Johnnywiffer
02-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Ya.... I drove a Buick this morning, and will again tomorrow but it's a 1996, won't consider another wagon until this comes along.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1094718_385121228277262_92916348_o.jpg

And that is a....????

John

8E45E
02-17-2014, 09:44 PM
And that is a....????

I can tell you what it is NOT! In fact Buick NEVER did have a version of the Dustbuster minivan....

Craig

Xcalibur
02-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I did... and, I didn't like it.

Flashback
02-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Not in recent years, But my Dad helped me buy a "late Model" automobile when I graduated in 1962. I wanted a 62 Ford Galaxie 2 dr ht, with a 406 and 4 speed. Ended up with a 59 Buick 4 dr ht. It was two tone, Lideo lavender and tawny rose. UGH , now as I look back. LOL

swvalcon
02-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Jdp man did that picture of the old buick ever bring back memory's. One of the frist car I ever did body work on was one of those. Belonged the a close freind of my tech school instructor back in 1971. Had to lead it and use so old paint he had from back in the early 50's.

9echo
02-18-2014, 03:50 PM
JDP, that is one of my favorite photos, but what I admire is that big black locomotive with the smoke trailing off to the side.

Scott
02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
It seems like Buick has the same reputation for being for the older crowd like Studebaker used to. I suppose the only real difference is that the more affluent older group goes for Buicks and the less affluent usually went for Studebakers. I suspect in 15 years or so you won't be seeing so many retirees in nicer newer cars, but in older used cars because they just won't be able to afford anything better. At my rate of progress in that direction I'll probably still be driving my 1996 Geo! Maybe it'll become a collector's car. ;)

dpson
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
My dad bought a new 2010 Lucerne and I have to say I'm not impressed with it. It was $30 grand and in my opinion he would have been better off with a Camry, but he grew up during WWII and with all propaganda of that era he couldn't bring himself to buy a Japanese car.

Bill Pressler
02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
My dad bought a new 2010 Lucerne and I have to say I'm not impressed with it. It was $30 grand and in my opinion he would have been better off with a Camry, but he grew up during WWII and with all propaganda of that era he couldn't bring himself to buy a Japanese car.

That's the last Lucerne, which came out in 2005. I always liked the size...I believe bigger than a Camry.

I know what you meant, but I wouldn't say Japan's behavior during WWII was 'propaganda'. It's well-documented. ;)

BobPalma
02-18-2014, 08:44 PM
I know what you meant, but I wouldn't say Japan's behavior during WWII was 'propaganda'. It's well-documented. ;)

'Good one, Bill. ;) :yeahright: BP

WinM1895
02-18-2014, 09:38 PM
During the 50th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack (7 December 1991), a Toyota was spotted in the PH Memorial's parking lot with a Pearl Harbor Survivor license plate.

btw: The Buick Lucerne replaced both the LeSabre and the Park Avenue. It's about the same length as a Toyota Avalon.

When I looked at a 2006 at the LA Auto Show (2005), found out that while they came with a tilt column, no telescopic wheel was available.

When I asked the sales rep why, she said "Our customers haven't requested it."

I said: "What customers?' 'The car was just introduced!"

packardHawk58
02-19-2014, 02:26 AM
1962 Lark Sedan.... you have a good eye picking it is a 400 Sport Wagon, yes it did come with drum brakes but I replaced them with a disc brake kit. My car is a one owner car, it is the only one I have ever seen in OZ.
John, too much HP for you (345 factory) I still have a few more cars up my sleeve you haven't seen yet!

FlatheadGeo
02-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I noticed, in JDP's pic, that there were no warning lights or warning gates for the driver. You actually had to stop and look for a train approaching!!! Let's see today's drivers do that!

Mr. Bill
02-20-2014, 04:30 PM
I have a 2013 Buick Verano that I purchased in July. I am very happy with it. I set out to buy a Regal but the dealer didn't have one on the lot. A good friend of mine was my salesman and he suggested I try the Verano.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Bo Markham
02-20-2014, 04:50 PM
1976 Buick "Skylark Apollo" 231 V6, auto. Spun a main bearing less then 6 months after purchase and Buick refused to honor their 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Needless to say, I never finished paying for the car and after much legal whohaahaa the car was traded in on a very nice 78 Chevrolet Chevette 2dr. "Scooter". Hated Buick, but loved that little Chevette. It took me all the way through college and well into my Army career. Traded it in 1985 for a brand new Chevrolet S-10 pickup. Little car had 100,000 plus miles on it and still looked and drove like a new one. They put it on the used car lot and I decided I really didn't want to part with it so I went back the next day to get it back, but it had all ready sold, darn it!

8E45E
02-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Hated Buick, but loved that little Chevette.

Those days are gone when one would actually give The General a second chance!!

Craig

clonelark
02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Buick quit making cars in 1977. Now they are GM cars. Wish i had my Daddy's 50 Buick Super Fastback.

gs-xnr
02-22-2014, 08:38 AM

REALLY!?!?
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/18/business/gm-opens-buick-plant-in-shanghai.html

Stu Chapman
02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
We had a 80s Skyhawk,,,not a particularly memorable car. Also had an 90s Skylark...very good car and still running fine with its second owner, over 200,000 kilometres. Notice the Studebaker connection?

Stu Chapman

WinM1895
02-22-2014, 02:19 PM
REALLY!?!?
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/18/business/gm-opens-buick-plant-in-shanghai.html
Really. It's not the same Buick's sold here.

8E45E
02-22-2014, 05:41 PM
REALLY!?!?

Really. It's not the same Buick's sold here.

Really! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizl5KF0e2E

Craig

avantilover
02-23-2014, 01:23 AM
My falcon has 450 hp will see what the mcacn show goers think of her .

qsanford
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Does that mean when better Buicks are built, Daewoo will build them? <G>

8E45E
02-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Does that mean when better Buicks are built, Daewoo will build them? <G>

and you'd 'Really rather have a Buick' when what you REALLY have is a Daewoo!

Craig

Dick Steinkamp
02-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Actually, there was only one Buick sold in China that was a re badged Daewoo. It was a version of the Excelle and has not been done for some time now. That car was sold globally by GM...not just in China. The Excelle is now a version of an Opel.

The Buicks made and sold in China are versions of US, Australian and European GM cars. Century/Regal, Pontiac Montana van, Holden Caprice, Opel Sail, Buick Encore, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick

The latest will be a version of the Holden Commodore.

China accounts for 30% of GM's sales. GM sold 810,000 Buicks in China and 205,000 in the US in 2013.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-08/gm-says-buick-sales-of-1-million-tops-record-set-in-1984.html

8E45E
02-23-2014, 10:16 AM
The latest will be a version of the Holden Commodore.

Not for long, considering GM is shutting down their Australian operations in a year or two.

Craig

Dick Steinkamp
02-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Not for long, considering GM is shutting down their Australian operations in a year or two.

Craig

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089121_2017-holden-commodore-to-be-a-chinese-built-buick-report

"The Australian publication reports that Holden was awarded the contract to design the new Buick based on the merits that the car would be rebadged a Commodore for the Australian market. The new sedan was originally planned to be built at plants in Australia and China, but with GMs decision to end production in Australia it means the new sedan will only be built in China. That means the 2017 Commodore will now be built in China and exported to Australia."

hausdok
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I've always felt it was the Chinese' love of the Buick marque that was Pontiac's doom.

Where I grew up Buicks were old folks' cars but Pontiacs were driven by the young, middle-aged and the old and were loved as much as Chevy's or Fords or Mopars. There were a few Buick disciples but not many.

Back in the roaring twenties and the thirties when there was an active western-style culture being propagated in China, Buick was beloved by the Chinese. Ever since they've continued to see Buick as a desirable brand. I don't think the average Chinese cares where it's made as long as it says Buick on the hood. It's kind of like when I was in Korea for the first time and Koreans would pay huge bucks for anything they could get from the American PX's. I'll never forget my wife's wide-eyed wonder when I brought home that first black-and-white television from the PX - a tiny thing with a 14-inch screen made in Korea by Gold Star. You would have thought that thing was gold plated. I tried to explain to her how illogical their fascination with PX goods were, especially in the case of a TV made in Korea sold out of the PX. It didn't register. Because it was from the PX in her mind it had to be better quality than anything made in her country. The Made in Republic of Korea printed on the data plate made no difference.

I think this is what's going on with the Chinese. I suspect that the only thing the average Chinese is going to care about is that it's a Buick regardless of who makes it where. I think GM was just looking at numbers. They saw a burgeoning Chinese auto market that will dwarf those of all of the other auto markets combined, that loves Buicks, as a more attractive option than an American market where only a small number of the population loved Pontiacs or Buicks. Deciding which to keep meant staying with the one they knew would sell the best in China.

junior
02-23-2014, 01:01 PM
It is typical on this forum for threads to take off on different tangent from what the original poster intended, and it appears that this thread is no different. I`d like stress that the original intent of my opening post is that I was pleasantly surprised, no make that shocked at the CHARACTER of this Buick...I guess another way of putting it is this BUICK is running (or at least attempting to) with the Audi A4 Quattro crowd, and does a pretty decent job of it. This is like no other Buick I have ever been exposed to. Not saying it is without fault, nor polish, but the fact that it really doesn`t give a whole lot up to a `premium` German brand says a lot to me. So, lets say you were to be kicking around a GM showroom with nothing better to do with your life, take a Regal for a spin...I`m sure you will come back as amazed as me. oh, and one other thing...the GM engineers somehow managed to beat the Germans at their own game as far as hp/litre...the Audi gives up mucho hp and torque to the Buick engine, and the Audi only ingests premium fuel, the GM will tolerate reqular. cheers, junior

Milaca
02-23-2014, 10:20 PM
I like the styling of the new Regals and would consider buying one. I would likely buy the non all-wheel drive version though in order to save some money.

studerodder
03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Actually, the last lucerne was 2011. I have one - the front end design differs from the earlier lucerne (except the 2010 super) it is a great car, my wife's last seven daily drivers have been buicks or buick powered GM products and we have loved them all. QUOTE=Bill Pressler;823723]That's the last Lucerne, which came out in 2005. I always liked the size...I believe bigger than a Camry.

I know what you meant, but I wouldn't say Japan's behavior during WWII was 'propaganda'. It's well-documented. ;)[/QUOTE]

jclary
03-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I know what you meant, but I wouldn't say Japan's behavior during WWII was 'propaganda'. It's well-documented. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well...it is well documented. However, for years ...some of the actual horrific brutality was deliberately hushed up because of what some of our political leaders of the time thought would lead to even more hatred and retribution toward the Japanese population. That brutality was the practice of cannibalism by the Japanese military. Here is a link to some of that information. The Chinese were also subjected to this cruelty during the Japanese occupation of their mainland as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/1445167/George-Bushs-comrades-eaten-by-their-Japanese-PoW-guards.html

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/1445167/George-Bushs-comrades-eaten-by-their-Japanese-PoW-guards.html)

Mikado282
03-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Favorite Buick pic

http://stude.com/Buick.jpg

Picture taken in Heber City, Utah on February 6, 2007. Locomotive is UP Consolidation #618

Gs66
03-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I think the big 3 quality has now surpassed the Japanese cars. Some of the Buicks and Caddys are pretty nice cars. But we bought a Challenger.

Johnnywiffer
03-17-2014, 09:41 PM
I can tell you what it is NOT! In fact Buick NEVER did have a version of the Dustbuster minivan....
Craig

Except in CHINA!! And Europe! :oops:

John

8E45E
03-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Except in CHINA!! And Europe! :oops:

Did GM market the first-generation 'U'-body (aka "Dustbuster") there under the Buick label? If they did, its either news to me, or I forgot about it.

Craig

Corley
03-19-2014, 11:28 AM
1976 Buick "Skylark Apollo" 231 V6, auto. Spun a main bearing less then 6 months after purchase and Buick refused to honor their 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Needless to say, I never finished paying for the car and after much legal whohaahaa the car was traded in on a very nice 78 Chevrolet Chevette 2dr. "Scooter". Hated Buick, but loved that little Chevette. It took me all the way through college and well into my Army career. Traded it in 1985 for a brand new Chevrolet S-10 pickup. Little car had 100,000 plus miles on it and still looked and drove like a new one. They put it on the used car lot and I decided I really didn't want to part with it so I went back the next day to get it back, but it had all ready sold, darn it!

When Chevette first came out, I thought one might be a good commuter car, so I rented one for a week on a business trip. Total piece of crap! I bought a Monza Towne Coupe instead and loved it, never had to return it to the dealer for anything, got decent mileage, very comfortable, and best of all it would keep up with freeway traffic, which the Chevette had a hard time doing. It was a '75 California model that had a 350 SBC in it, which now resides in my Stude truck. (The 305 did no smog cert for the '75 model year in Cal., so they used 350s instead.) One thing I like about the Towne Coupe was that the lines were a little bit like the C/K Studes.

Johnnywiffer
03-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Did GM market the first-generation 'U'-body (aka "Dustbuster") there under the Buick label? If they did, its either news to me, or I forgot about it.
Craig Dunno. But when I was in Zhanjiang in 1995, there were billboards of a Buick van that looked like my van at the time, a 1990 Olds Silhouette.

Strangely, all the copy was in some foreigh language :woot: so I didn't know what it said. I can safely assume it DID NOT say, "This is a Pontiac with a Buick name plate!"

John