• Show
Clear All

• 50 Commander Custom

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 commander custom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1742606

I am going thru some stuff I got from the Earle Haley estate. I have had some pictures for around 15 years now and am finally looking at them. I found this one which was taken at one of the National Meets in South Bend at the proving grounds. I have never seen this car. Earle's comments on the back indicate that it was a four door, the front doors were filled in and the rear doors used to enter and exit the car.

Thought other 50 Commander likers would like to see it. I wonder if it still exists.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

I'm diggin' it...any more photos? cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Hey Milt, do Earle's comments indicate whether he approved?

Comment

Interesting custom job. Not that it matters, but isn't that a '51 trunk lid handle on the car? Also, if the back doors were used as front doors, would they be of the "suicide" type unless they were somehow reconfigured? It doesn't look like there's much room in front of the rear wheels for a door hinge let alone a full size front door which was wider than the rear doors, unless, perhaps this started life as a Land Cruiser. Perhaps that's the reason for the front hinged doors.

Comment

I have this image from the internet, which is labled (exner_roadster): Click image for larger version

Name:	exner_roadster.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1687807
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1950StudebakerRoadsterShowCar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1687813 Hershey PA Oct 2000
          Last edited by fatboylust; 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

That's the coolest thing I've seen lately; one I'd add to my own collection and drive proudly. If it were really designed by Virgil Exner, it is surprising we haven't seen it around here and at national meets.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
              I have this image from the internet, which is labled (exner_roadster): [ATTACH=CONFIG]32429[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]32436[/ATTACH] Hershey PA Oct 2000
              That is it! All I have is that one not so great photo from the 1980's I am guessing. Cool thanks for the view from the front.
              Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                Interesting custom job. Not that it matters, but isn't that a '51 trunk lid handle on the car? Also, if the back doors were used as front doors, would they be of the "suicide" type unless they were somehow reconfigured? It doesn't look like there's much room in front of the rear wheels for a door hinge let alone a full size front door which was wider than the rear doors, unless, perhaps this started life as a Land Cruiser. Perhaps that's the reason for the front hinged doors.
                Yes, I thought it was interesting how the rear doors if that is what is really used was changed to swing from the back instead of the rear. They also moved the air vents back from the fenders
                Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

More pictures here:

The rest of the story is here: http://pillers-r.tripod.com/studebak...yarticle1.html text starts on page 2. It is credited to Paul Kuhl.

And from 2009 see post #6: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e-are-they-now
                  Last edited by fatboylust; 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Looks like 2004 is the last documented sighting of this car when it went up for auction at Kruse. Anyone know for sure its whereabouts today?

Comment

Working...
                    X