Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silicone fluid in convertible top pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone fluid in convertible top pumps?

Has anyone tried and had any luck with using silicone fluid in 63 Lark convertible top pumps, without having leakage?
    THANKS

When I was working on the 64 Convert, I did some searches on this forum and found that several were using transmission fluid instead of brake fluid. I knew I was not putting Dot 3 back in the system as it had leaked at one point and ate the paint up in the trunk. I used tranmission fluid and was very pleased with the workings.

As a reminder, when changing the system from Dot 3 brake fluid to anything different, you have to get all the old fluid out of the pump, cylinders and hoses.

If you do use silicone I assume it would be the same as for brakes, you should replace all rubber components including hoses.

Transmission fluid is cheaper than silicone for sure.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I have a '64 conv. as well. Milt did you use Dexron or Ford or a combo of those trans fluids?
      Thanks
      Rob in PA.

Comment

I used Ford fluid, had to order it at Carquest.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Ford ATF......and I used it for years in my.............'64 convertible.....never a problem...GL

Comment

Been in our '60 since 1988 or so - Ford ATF - leaked nary a drop and hasn't clogged the pump as inactivity can do with brake fluid!
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Would ATF work as a brake fluid? Never considered it.

Comment

I replaced the pump in my 60 with one from a 80's Chrysler obtained from Pick-A-Part. When I took it off I noticed transmission fluid coming out. When I got home I blew out all the lines on the 60 & changed it over to ATF. Works great ever since. BTW, the pump was so identical that even the wires matched up, the plug & wire colors were the same!
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Ditto on the ATF, I used in in my 62 Daytona that I had. The 52 is "screw" drive!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

I purchased a motor/pump assembly for our '60 Lark from Hydro-E-Lectric in Florida. Their warranty is void if silicone brake fluid is used.
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                      Would ATF work as a brake fluid? Never considered it.
                      Any fluid will work to some degree. However ATF will not withstand the temps sometimes reached in brake systems, may not be compatible with the seals, and when it leaks, will do a great job of lubricating the brake pads/shoes - no stoppee.

That's one knock against silicone brake fluid, it too makes a great lube if it leaks.

Comment

Never put petroleum-based fluid, like ATF, into a brake system. It could, and most likely will, cause all the rubber parts to swell into goop, and will be very hard to wash out. In an emergency, say, if you broke a brake line off-roading, and lost all the fluid, it would be better to use a water/alcohol based fluid like water, antifreeze, or even beer as an emergency substitute. Drawbacks are they may be corrosive if left in the system, and will boil if the brakes run hot. But if you drive slowly, and use the brakes gently, it should get you home. And then the system can be readily flushed with alcohol, and refilled with the good stuff.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                        X