Paxton Novi on a Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paxton Novi on a Stude

Started mocking up a mounting plate for the supercharger. I made good progressClick image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (3).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1742572
    This is the forward mounting, which will be welded to a gusset that bolts to the water manifold upper holes.

(those lead plates cut so easily)!
    Last edited by bezhawk; 02-12-2014, 06:08 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Dave Bloomberg ran a Novi on his B'ville Avanti for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
      Dave Bloomberg ran a Novi on his B'ville Avanti for a few years.
      Dave sold that Novi2000 to DEEPNHOCK
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bez make sure to make templates of all your brakets and hardware so this can be redone if needed on another one.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          Started mocking up a mounting plate for the supercharger. I made good progress[ATTACH=CONFIG]32348[/ATTACH]
          This is the forward mounting, which will be welded to a gusset that bolts to the water manifold upper holes.

(those lead plates cut so easily)!
          Bez,
          Looks like a great start. Good placement of the idler pulley. Since the crank pulley is custom, did you think of maybe integrating all of the belt drive under a single serpentine setup?
          That would look awesome.
          Hopefully you can cut out a lot of the inner plate to lighten it up and make it look a bit cooler..

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            Bez,
            Looks like a great start. Good placement of the idler pulley. Since the crank pulley is custom, did you think of maybe integrating all of the belt drive under a single serpentine setup?
            That would look awesome.
            Hopefully you can cut out a lot of the inner plate to lighten it up and make it look a bit cooler..
            Actually, it would be better to have the idler pulley on the backside of the drive belt.
            Meaning the torque applied side would be a straight pull from crank pulley to supercharger pulley.
            The idler should be on the 'slack' side.
            It is way easier on the idler pulley to not be applying torque to it.
            Also, the idler should be on the inside if possible.

Reason? The belt will last longer if it only flexes one way.
            I realize this is nitpicky, especially with serpentine style belts going every which way...
            But, here... in the design mock up stage...
            That's the best place to try and get the optimum setup desired...if possible.

(imagine this rotated 90 degree's... This would be better - even better yet if the idler was inside)
            Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Just a thought - the idler is better on the slack side of the belt and a spring loaded idler is best on the slack side of the belt.
              Looking good though.

Neil

Comment

Question for you Jeff, I agree having the idler on the slack side is preferable. But wouldn't it be better having it on the outside pushing in to tighten the "wrap" around the pulleys and thus reduce the chance of slipping? Versus on the inside pushing out effectively loosening the wrap. Just thinking of performance versus belt longevity. Also, just about every serpentine belt configuration I have seen on oem applications has the the idlers and tensioners on the outside.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Question for you Jeff, I agree having the idler on the slack side is preferable. But wouldn't it be better having it on the outside pushing in to tighten the "wrap" around the pulleys and thus reduce the chance of slipping? Versus on the inside pushing out effectively loosening the wrap. Just thinking of performance versus belt longevity. Also, just about every serpentine belt configuration I have seen on oem applications has the the idlers and tensioners on the outside.
                  I agree with what you are saying.
                  I was talking about the pie in the sky perfect world setup for a belt.
                  On a non-cog (gilmer) belt, the amount of wrap 'needed' is dependent on the hp load transfer capability of the belt.
                  So, how you get that wrap is the issue.
                  Packaging constraints mean compromises.
                  Belt longevity is affected by a lot of things, and backwards flexing is one of them.
                  If your initial design can minimize that, then you are the better for it.
                  Putting the idler on the power side of the belt loads the idler pulley bearing harder, as the belt is being asked to drag the supercharger pulley 'around a corner'.
                  The belt might accept this OK, but there will be an increase in HP loss going 'around the corner'.
                  That loss of energy is translated into heat...in the bearing, and on the pulley, and on the belt.
                  The 'best' design will eat the least HP, and last the longest...

I'm not badmouthing Brad's efforts in the least. We have talked a lot about this in the recent past.
                  Just tossing out idea's and opinions...
                  Brad and I are both in a supercharger packaging fight as we speak..

Jeff

Comment

Deepnhock, is that a Mopar engine or the distributor just laying there in that position ?

Comment

I think if you contact Dan Sallia, he has access to mounting plates that have already been designed for this blower. You might try getting hold of him through Racingstudebakers.com. His handle is "silverhawk dan" He has started several threads so he should be easy to find.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                        Deepnhock, is that a Mopar engine or the distributor just laying there in that position ?
                        Yes... It was just the best pic found to illustrate what my verbiage mangled...

Jeff

Comment

This one seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                            This one seems to work pretty good.

Wow!...Now THAT'S impressive!

Comment

Working...
                            X