PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to this and please excuse my bumbles

1947hotrodder
02-11-2014, 05:53 PM
I have been involved with old cars all my life ,mostly with model a fords. I recently bought a 1930 studebaker 4 dr sedan. I was told it is a commander model. It has only 2 side windows per side ,not three. It has a top insert that comes back to about 18" from the rear of the car. Does anyone know if this is indeed a commander? or what the numberical designation is? thanks a bunch

Scott
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi and welcome! The short answer is that it could be a Commander or a President since they both had that kind of body. I don't have numerical designations handy, but I'm sure others will give you more information.

Studebaker Wheel
02-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Check the small plate attached to the engine side of the firewall. It will have some letters and numbers. Post those letters and numbers and I can tell you exactly what you have.

Corvanti
02-11-2014, 06:24 PM
welcome aboard!:!:

i'm sure some folks will be here shortly to provide answers. in the meantime, check and record your body tag number info - i think it should be on your passenger side firewall, if it is like my '40. the serial number (aka: VIN #) would also be helpful.

and here's a link to the Antique Studebaker Forum: http://forums.aaca.org/f126/

good luck, and have fun with her!!!:)

1947hotrodder
02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
thanks guys , I haven't picked the car up yet. It is in ark. I had three friends go look at the car and drive it for me. I will be picking it up arounf the first of the month.

Corvanti
02-11-2014, 06:35 PM
ok. perhaps you could give the seller a call and he will provide you the info. that should give you a "head start" on things you may need, such as a service manual, body manual, etc. - if the seller doesn't have them.:)

Mr. Quinn, does the Museum have the production order for 1930 models?

rockne10
02-11-2014, 11:21 PM
In a Studebaker that old, the body tag could well be on the driver's side of the cowl under the hood. My '33 is.

dictator27
02-12-2014, 11:10 AM
1929-30 Commander 6 is model GJ
1929-30 Commander 8 is model FD

The body style with no rear quarter window is a brougham sedan, or sometimes called a blind quarter sedan.

The body tag should be on the passengers side of the firewall under the hood and will have the model identification (GJ, FD) followed by a W (sedan) and possibly another single number indicating trim level. Underneath that will be another number which is the assembly line sequence number.

The serial number is on a plate on the left frame rail behind the left front wheel.

Terry

1947hotrodder
02-14-2014, 04:23 PM
1929-30 Commander 6 is model GJ
1929-30 Commander 8 is model FD

The body style with no rear quarter window is a brougham sedan, or sometimes called a blind quarter sedan.

The body tag should be on the passengers side of the firewall under the hood and will have the model identification (GJ, FD) followed by a W (sedan) and possibly another single number indicating trim level. Underneath that will be another number which is the assembly line sequence number.

The serial number is on a plate on the left frame rail behind the left front wheel.

Terry
This was the very information that I was looking for, I sure do appreciate it.:)