Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker 2 door wagon - $4000 (Zephyrhills, FL) What model is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker 2 door wagon - $4000 (Zephyrhills, FL) What model is it?

I have a thing for 2 door wagons

This one popped up near me, and I was wondering what model it was. Would anyone like to educate me about wagons?

Is this a rarity?

Phillip

BTW, my wife does not share my fascination with wagons, so I'll not be pursuing it - If $4000 is a good deal for this, feel free to pursue it!

Looks like a Conestoga Champion wagon , fairly scare , they didn't make that many of them.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You certainly can't accuse him of sharing too much information and photos.

Comment

Looks a lot like the one in my signature picture. They are unique and '54 was the first year that Studebaker made a station wagon. They keep popping up, but most seem to be in the condition that the one in the craigs list ad is in. There were only two at the 2012 International in South Bend and none in Colorado Springs. $4000 is quite a bit to pay, unless the drive train, chassis and interior etc are in better condition than the exterior appears to be. I paid about $1000 for mine.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

It DOES say that it's a -54 Champion at the right in the ad & lower down that it runs & stops good.
          Only thing it doen't say is Conestoga.

Comment

It also appears to be a Regal D5, '54 Champion 6, Conestoga 2 Door Wagon with Overdrive.

It looks OK in the Pic but, this is one you (or someone) would probably need to see and make a much lower offer.

UPDATE: In terms of how many are left TODAY, I'd say that it IS actually quite rare.

As Dick S. said about his $28,100.00 '63 Lark 8 Wagonaire: "Most wagons were used hard, poorly maintained and discarded when they were all used up."
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, Phil; rarity is how you define it, I guess. As Rich said, it appears to be a 1954 Champion Regal Wagon, Model D5.

Ford, "the wagon king" in the 1950s, made 92,699 1954 2-door wagons, sixes and eights, Mainlines and Customlines total.

Studebaker, on the other hand, made:

Champion DeLuxe wagons, Model D3: 3,910
              Champion Regal wagons, Model D5: 3,074 (the subject wagon)

Commander DeLuxe wagons, Model D3: 1,912
              Commander Regal wagons, Model D5: 2,878

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm just imagining that accusation-- "You...you...GOOD SELLER, YOU!"

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                You certainly can't accuse him of sharing too much information and photos.

Comment

Maybe someone with more knowledge can verify this its my belief that all Studebaker wagons were 2 door from 54-57.

Comment

Stephen, I'm with You on this right or wrong.
                    Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                    Maybe someone with more knowledge can verify this its my belief that all Studebaker wagons were 2 door from 54-57.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                      1954/56: 2 doors, 1957: 2 and 4 doors.

Comment

pbrown -

Yes, it's a 54 Conestoga, Champian.
                        It's a I-6, flat head engine and the three speed, manual shift, with overdrive. Read that not very fast...!
                        All 54 and 55 Conestogas were 2dr. wagons. They had two trim packages, cheap and REAL cheap. Though for some reason, Stude had two completely different dashboards for the Champian (I-6) and the Commander (V-8).

They are somewhat difficult to come by but as Pat said, they seem to be popping up every now and again. The 53, 54 sedans share many parts, and from the firewall foward, the front sheet metal is the same. The 55 sedan (flat windshield) fenders also work.

BUT....$4000. the car should be running well, have a full interior and no "major" holes in the floor...! That's a lot of money for what appears in that picture.

I've got two 54's and a 55 Conestoga. The two years (54 and 55) are the only Stude wagons that carry the "Conestoga" name (except the "covered wagon", horse drawn versions...!).

Mike

Comment

I have to agree with You Mike! There are however those out in Hotrod land that may just pick up the car with no guilt about paying the sellers price just to have a car that would most likely be the only One of it's kind at the local car shows!
                          abit pricey for me since for some reason there are more than a few Studebaker cars and trucks for sale or just "around" here in Washington State!
                          Patrick Sammon

Comment

Interesting car. Since this body "theme" was only in it's second year (first year for a wagon of course), I find it kinda clumsy to have the big stainless moulding running 2/3rds the length of the car. It looks to be SO MUCH of an afterthought. I think it's also a bit strange that this heavy thing sold more editions with a 6 than with an 8!
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Looks a lot like the one in my signature picture. They are unique and '54 was the first year that Studebaker made a station wagon. They keep popping up, but most seem to be in the condition that the one in the craigs list ad is in. There were only two at the 2012 International in South Bend and none in Colorado Springs. $4000 is quite a bit to pay, unless the drive train, chassis and interior etc are in better condition than the exterior appears to be. I paid about $1000 for mine.
                              Here is one that has been for sale locally for quite a long time. It is a '55.. or what is left of a '55 http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4322334140.html .

Yet another one asking too much given what is there in my opinion. But I dont actually know the market for these wagons.
                              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X