PDA

View Full Version : 62 Studebaker Lark Pivit

Dieters
02-10-2014, 04:24 PM
What is The Pivit Point of the 62 Studebaker Lark for mostly City driving?

52-fan
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Pivot point? I'm not sure what you mean.

studegary
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
What is The Pivit Point of the 62 Studebaker Lark for mostly City driving?

I don't understand your question, even if I assume that you mean pivot point. Perhaps you mean turning radius, but that wouldn't change for "mostly City driving". Please try to restate your question.

GinettaG12P
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Forget the pivit; what's the point?

hausdok
02-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Maybe he means the center of gravity, or, for shipping purposes the balance point between front and rear of the car where the weight is evenly distributed 50/50 on either side of that point.

StudeRich
02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Maybe he means the center of gravity, or, for shipping purposes the balance point between front and rear of the car where the weight is evenly distributed 50/50 on either side of that point.

Yeah But, "for mostly City Driving"?????????? :confused: :confused: The Pivot point MPG, for when it is no longer affordable to Drive it? :confused:

I think we are long past that, but the shear joy and Fun of cruising with something "DIFFERENT" outweighs the cost! :)

aarrggh
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
000.7463 ?

Dieters
02-16-2014, 12:26 PM
I have installed the short steering arms & plan to use a rear mount rack on my 62 Lark. this is what Flaming Rivers ask the pivot point before they sugjest what rack to use. I think it may have something to do with the bump.

SN-60
02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
I don't believe this question has anything to do with the 'balance' point.

junior
02-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I doubt you`re going to find a steering rack from flaming river, at least they didn`t have anything close the last time I looked at their site. You need what is commonly called a center steer rack like what came off of grand-am, cavalier, alero gm small/intermediate cars, meaning the take-off point for the tie rods is in the center of the rack...and this is what I think flaming river is asking you. IIRC, the only center steer rack they offered was one that had the take-off points about a foot apart from each other with the pinion gear located in the center of the rack...totally useless for a Lark application. Check all past threads by doing a search of the forum and you will find most folks using the gm rack to reduce bump-steer to a minimum. hope this makes sense...junior.

Dieters
02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Junior;
Thank you for the needed information. A little more would be helpful, Does these mount to the rear?I have mounted a302 that was in a race car with all the hot items I can not mount the rack to the front as the compartment is full. The people that talk of putting the rack in the older Studes have not state if they are mounted to rear. I have the present rear mounted, but I don't feel this is built for my use. Again thank you , have a good. day.

junior
02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
If you mount the rack in front your steering will be reversed, meaning turn the wheel left and you go right...might be a lot of fun though! I have not done the conversion, but there is lots of info on this forum...just do a `rack and pinion`search. All of the conversions I`ve read about are power racks, the only one that is manual steer is off of a Dodge Omni and is on the Slick Street Stuff conversion, but once again do a search because there is lots of info. I have not done the conversion because I`d love to try driving a Stude first that has been converted, and my particular situation dictates no power steering. cheers, junior.

Mike Van Veghten
02-17-2014, 09:16 AM
The point you are refering to IS...a pivot point...

It's a line drawn between the upper a-arm pivot point and the lower a-arm pivot point.
THEN...you need to figure out EXACTLY where you are going top mount the R&P (vertical) height wise vs. the lines (both sides) drawn per above.
This will tell Flaming River (anyone) how long to make the rack with IT'S pivot points.

They did one for me several years ago for my 60 Lark hot rod. Very nice...exactly what I wanted.
The only kicker...on modified units...1. there is no guarentee, 2. you'd better measure two or three times...NO returns.

Mike

P.s. - And yes...this is related to bump steer. The better measuring you do, the better the car will steer.

Dieters
03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Thank you very much Junior , of the information I have received. What you have put forth makes the most sense. I can adapt & make any parts once I have a proper rack. For safety reducing the bump is a paramount problem. Have a good day...Maynard

junior
03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Thank you very much Junior , of the information I have received. What you have put forth makes the most sense. I can adapt & make any parts once I have a proper rack. For safety reducing the bump is a paramount problem. Have a good day...Maynard

not a problem...sharing what I have read, not what I know for a fact...I figure Mike VV is the guy to get in contact with as it sounds like he`s had a custom rack made up. cheers, junior