PDA

View Full Version : 58 ' studebaker transtar

newmextrader
02-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I have a 58 Studebaker transstar I am looking for another transstar so I can put the two of them together and make one. I live in southeren new mexico, I am looking for a cheap "preferably" truck with a good title. it doesn't have to be in great shape, I don't mind putting work into it I already have the glass and some other parts, and I don't mind a little travel or a little work to get it, but I don't have a lot to spend on it at the moment, what I can do is trade for part of it and pay for the rest, if I have something you are interested in. if I cant find one I will probably end up selling the one I have and moving on to another project, which I would hate to do, I appreciate any help you guys can give me. it can be hard to find these sometimes.

Skip Lackie
02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a 58 Studebaker transstar I am looking for another transstar so I can put the two of them together and make one. I live in southeren new mexico, I am looking for a cheap "preferably" truck with a good title. it doesn't have to be in great shape, I don't mind putting work into it I already have the glass and some other parts, and I don't mind a little travel or a little work to get it, but I don't have a lot to spend on it at the moment, what I can do is trade for part of it and pay for the rest, if I have something you are interested in. if I cant find one I will probably end up selling the one I have and moving on to another project, which I would hate to do, I appreciate any help you guys can give me. it can be hard to find these sometimes.

Just in case you don't know: there weren't a lot of changes in Stude's trucks from 49 to the end in 64. In other words, you certainly don't need a second 58 Transtar to make one good 58 Transtar. If your truck has a V8, any Stude V8 will fit. The cabs from 55-64 were identical. So were the fenders and doors, except for the location of some holes. The same fiberglass grille was used on all 57-64 C cabs except the 58-59 Scotsman. Within each tonnage model (eg, half-ton, 3/4-ton), the frame, suspension, and steering mechanicals were almost identical from year to year. So it might depend on exactly what parts/components you need -- many items from a similarly equipped 49-64 will fit your truck just fine. Parts trucks appear for sale pretty regularly on ebay and Craig's List, so that would be two places to keep a look out for one. The Stude Truck Talk site usually notes each one that comes up for sale somewhere:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

The Stude truck history will help you identify the major changes, if any, that occurred each year.
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/StudebakerTruckHistory.asp

Good luck with your Transtar.