Want More Power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want More Power!

57 Silver Hawk, 289 4bbl, flightomatic. 91,000 miles, runs great, good compression, oil pressure, tune up, no smoke, etc. I just want it to have more power....... So the question is: without breaking the bank, what are some things you would suggest to achieve that goal?

well if it doesn't have dual exhaust, I would start there. junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I just want it to have more power....... So the question is: without breaking the bank, what are some things you would suggest to achieve that goal?
      X2 on dual exhaust. Add a Pertronix ignition and an 02 dyno tune. Anything else requires going inside the engine, machining, hard parts - all costs more than CASO money.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
        I just want it to have more power....... So the question is: without breaking the bank, what are some things you would suggest to achieve that goal?
        I also have a Silver Hawk 289 FOM combo.

Unless you are really planting your foot at every stoplight and forcing the transmission start out in first gear, I suspect that your engine has more power than it is letting on...

In my opinion the problem is likely to be the second gear start that your transmission does as a matter of course. This keeps me from feeling like I have a real V8 under the hood.

I suspect that you have the same feeling I do.

So, try putting your selector in Low at the next stoplight. When you take off, it should feel like you have quite a bit more power. Shift into D to get 2nd when you think appropriate, and then the tranny is back doing its thing for the upshift to 3rd.

If this helps, there are a couple of options:

1. Keep driving it in that manner - Cheapest option. but a hassle and I can't help but feel that one day my tranny will drop out!
        2. Retrofit your FOM to a first gear start - It can be done with the right parts, but they seem to be rare and relatively expensive for a mod that just lets you make better use of what you have.
        3. Put in a different transmission - The GM 700R4 seems to be a good choice in that it is rugged and has a low 1st gear. It also has the advantage of an overdrive high gear, so highway cruising becomes more pleasurable. This requires a $400 adapter plate and a few other goodies, but can be done on a budget (unless you get a rebuilt/new transmission, in which case the 700R4 alone will start at $1K and go up from there)

I think I'm personally leaning towards option 3, as I will get 2 birds (low gear start and overdrive) with my one 700R4 stone.

On the other hand, if the first gear start test doesn't satisfy your thirst for power, please listen to all the other people's suggestions!

Comment

Not more power but certainly more go would be switching to a manual trans, that costs alot but nothing like trying to do a performance build. Better yet, if you like your auto maybe consider a major upgrade. 41frank here sells a kit to install any chevy auto trans. Depending your skll level you could do something as simple as a turbo 350, or a something like a 700R4, both can be had good used many places. Although that might be out if your skill level or budget. And depending on how much highway driving you do, you might consider a steeper rear gear, but that has its downfalls.

Comment

has anyone put a light dose (50 shot or so) of nitrous on a 289? experiences?
            sigpic
            JohnP, driving & reviving
            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

If you're gonna go with the transmission swap, consider going with the 200R4 (actually called 200 4R). It has a lower first gear and a taller OD gear. This way you could play with the rear end gears to find one that will optimize your acceleration and maximize your OD mileage. Best of both worlds. Plus the 200 has the added bonus of being the same dimensions as the Turbo 350.
              sals54

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
                I also have a Silver Hawk 289 FOM combo.

Unless you are really planting your foot at every stoplight and forcing the transmission start out in first gear, I suspect that your engine has more power than it is letting on...

In my opinion the problem is likely to be the second gear start that your transmission does as a matter of course. This keeps me from feeling like I have a real V8 under the hood.

I suspect that you have the same feeling I do.

So, try putting your selector in Low at the next stoplight. When you take off, it should feel like you have quite a bit more power. Shift into D to get 2nd when you think appropriate, and then the tranny is back doing its thing for the upshift to 3rd.

If this helps, there are a couple of options:

1. Keep driving it in that manner - Cheapest option. but a hassle and I can't help but feel that one day my tranny will drop out!
                2. Retrofit your FOM to a first gear start - It can be done with the right parts, but they seem to be rare and relatively expensive for a mod that just lets you make better use of what you have.
                3. Put in a different transmission - The GM 700R4 seems to be a good choice in that it is rugged and has a low 1st gear. It also has the advantage of an overdrive high gear, so highway cruising becomes more pleasurable. This requires a $400 adapter plate and a few other goodies, but can be done on a budget (unless you get a rebuilt/new transmission, in which case the 700R4 alone will start at $1K and go up from there)

I think I'm personally leaning towards option 3, as I will get 2 birds (low gear start and overdrive) with my one 700R4 stone.

On the other hand, if the first gear start test doesn't satisfy your thirst for power, please listen to all the other people's suggestions!
                Ha! We were typing at the same time about the same thing, you just hit post a little faster. Great minds think alike, eh?

Comment

agree with Sal re: the 200 4R.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Want more power my 60 hawk has a 76 firebird 400 also firebird tranny and rear end lots of tire spinning fun.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

sals54

Comment

The car has factory dual exhaust and a new heat riser valve. I know about the 2nd gear start, just a bit of hassle shifting all the time. I want to keep the car original as possible, so will probably just "pretend" it is more powerful! Thanks for all the responses and maybe if the flightomatic gets weak, will consider a GM tranny.

Comment

If you are still running the wsfb, first see if the secondaries work and if they are then you might try an afb. Milling heads and R1 cam is pretty cheap to do. But.. more gears in the trans is the most impact on performance feel.

Comment

Tons of info on this under the "search" function.

Mike

Comment

Studebaker just strapped a supercharger on top when they wanted more power, granted that is not even kinda cheap these days. Keepin it mostly original is great but something like a tranny upgrade won't offend even most purists. Honestly it would likely up resale value, barring the extra special cars (GH,R series, ect.) Most people aren't as finicky about these cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X