PDA

View Full Version : supplier of S/C belts in San Diego

StudeNorm
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I am heading to the LA/San Diego area in a few days and need a matched pair of supercharger belts for a '63 R2 Avanti. I can't find a local supplier in my home town and don't want to mail-order a set while I am away. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Norman Searle

Warren Webb
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
In San Diego contact Roy Heckers, 619-420-7896. I've gotten some stuff from him before, great guy.

StudeRich
02-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Contact Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service in Long Beach, right off of the LB Freeway. 562 435 3782, tell him Rich. from Washington sent you.

Ask for a BLT500 Belt Set.

StudeNorm
02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I might call both contacts as I will need other parts down the road.

Norm

63 Avanti R2 4speed

SN-60
02-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Go to ANY auto supply store and ask for a matched pair of air conditioner compressor belts for any mid 70's Chrysler product with a small block V8. (A'76 Plymouth Fury with a 360 engine for example) These belts are exactly the same as Avanti R2 blower belts, and they will probably cost a bit less.

StudeNorm
02-06-2014, 10:04 AM
I may have to look into the Chryco A/C belt thing. My local suppliers seem to be in a fog regarding part numbers so this may work better. Thanks. I know AX52 belts DON'T work, too wide. Nobody has 15545 in a matched set. Now I have a few more options.

SScopelli
02-06-2014, 10:39 AM
I may have to look into the Chryco A/C belt thing. My local suppliers seem to be in a fog regarding part numbers so this may work better. Thanks. I know AX52 belts DON'T work, too wide. Nobody has 15545 in a matched set. Now I have a few more options.

I seriously doubt with the modern manufacturing process of say "Gates" belts that there is variance in the length of a set number. And from a mounting point, I've never see a Studebaker that had the generator or alternator lined up square with the crank pulley, so a .01 mm difference in belt length is not going to be a big deal.

But enjoy your trip to Calif..

StudeNorm
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I tried the Chrysler thing and the parts dealers I dealt with could not find a set. I did find a Goodyear set of 15550 belts that were so closely matched that the series numbers were consecutive. The width on both was identical and the length spec'ed out at 54.4 inches so I installed them the day before I left for SoCal. I will be calling Roy later today as I want to see about a couple of other things. Thanks for the contact numbers.

Forums are the best way to go...

61Lark
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I seriously doubt with the modern manufacturing process of say "Gates" belts that there is variance in the length of a set number. And from a mounting point, I've never see a Studebaker that had the generator or alternator lined up square with the crank pulley, so a .01 mm difference in belt length is not going to be a big deal.

But enjoy your trip to Calif..

They do vary quite a bit. I can't remember the exact tolerance, but the +/- 1/8" quoted below from Durabelt rings a bell of what I've seen in the past.

"Standard length tolerance is +/-1/8" (+/-3.2mm) or +/-1%, whichever is greater" - http://www.durabelt.com/tolerances_info.php

Nick