No announcement yet.

Bendix brake booster disk brake sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Bendix brake booster disk brake sounds?

Anyone care to weigh in on what may be in my future?
    Upon hard stop I heard what sounded like a babies cry or wine coming from the booster..........only happened upon a very hard application.

Ideas?

Do you clean the filter on the front of the booster? The main vac chamber takes a shot of neatsfoot oil every year or so.

Comment

Hawk,
      I do not see any filter on the booster? This is a master-Vac dual dia as standard on Avanti

Comment

Probably the noise is coming from the check valve. Replacement check valves are available from Studebaker International.

Comment

Sorry, I ASSumed it was a Hawk. GT Hawks with the F disc booster have a "horse hair" filter in the front of the housing, held in with a "C" clip sorta thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            Anyone care to weigh in on what may be in my future?
            Upon hard stop I heard what sounded like a babies cry or wine coming from the booster..........only happened upon a very hard application.

Ideas?
            At first I thought that if you have wine coming from your booster, you should collect it. Then I realized that you have a whine. (G,G)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bahahahahaha! I did find out what the sound is........upon hard application the two parts of the booster tend to separate and make that noise.....it seems Stude used a thinner gage on their spec'd Bendix booster as opposed to what Mopar had.
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              At first I thought that if you have wine coming from your booster, you should collect it. Then I realized that you have a whine. (G,G)

Comment

Probably from a poor job of re-building it, caused the housing to be warped.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X