PDA

View Full Version : 1964 California Personalize Tags...

JRoberts
02-03-2014, 02:42 PM
These were found by my cousin who has put them on ebay. They were in some of Dick Orr's stuff that she has been going through. Dick passed away last summer and was her dad and my uncle. He was a member of the Husker Chapter and my '65 Cruiser was purchased new by him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-STDE-California-License-Plates-set-of-2-Antique-DMV-clear-1964-Studebaker-/261386828302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdbde7a0ehttp://s.skimresources.com/img/cbuddy2.png (http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-STDE-California-License-Plates-set-of-2-Antique-DMV-clear-1964-Studebaker-/261386828302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdbde7a0e)

royvaldez
02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Are these the real deal. I thought I have seen these reproduced.

StudeRich
02-04-2014, 03:46 AM
Not likely, the stickers on the rear plate look real enough. What Stude. owner would buy TWO fake plates, they would be useless to drive with and most likely not DMV clear as noted.

WinM1895
02-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Not likely, the stickers on the rear plate look real enough. What Stude. owner would buy TWO fake plates, they would be useless to drive with and most likely not DMV clear as noted.
As a former CA resident, ask yourself this...how many black personalized plates have you ever seen?

I've never seen any originals because personalized plates were not offered for black plates.

What people do is...they order a set of new personalized plates, then have a set of black plates "made up" that matches whatever the personalized plates read, then put the stickers on them.

Several years ago, I asked the manager of the Whittier DMV office (an SDC member), if this was legal.

She said as long as the number matches the registration, usually the police won't bother.

The other possibility is...these are blue personalized plates that have been repainted black. I ordered a pair of blue personalized plates for a 1964 Galaxie 500XL that I bought in 1977.

Did you know Fred Roth, an SDC and HET member who lived in 1000 stumps? He put blue personalized plates on several cars he owned, but I don't recall which of these cars he put them on:

1951 Hudson convertible, 1951 Muntz Road Jet, 1952 Nash Healey, 1952 Woodill Wildfire, 1953 Starliner, 1953 Corvette, 1954 Hudson Italia, 1955 Thunderbird (#5), 1956 Thunderbird.

Skip Lackie
02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
As a former CA resident, ask yourself this...how many black personalized plates have you ever seen?

I've never seen any originals because personalized plates were not offered for black plates.

What people do is...they order a set of new personalized plates, then have a set of black plates "made up" that matches whatever the personalized plates read, then put the stickers on them.

Several years ago, I asked the manager of the Whittier DMV office (an SDC member), if this was legal.

She said as long as the number matches the registration, usually the police won't bother.

The other possibility is...these are blue personalized plates that have been repainted black. I ordered a pair of blue personalized plates for a 1964 Galaxie 500XL that I bought in 1977.

Did you know Fred Roth, an SDC and HET member who lived in 1000 stumps? He put blue personalized plates on several cars he owned, but I don't recall which of these cars he put them on:

1951 Hudson convertible, 1951 Muntz Road Jet, 1952 Nash Healey, 1952 Woodill Wildfire, 1953 Starliner, 1953 Corvette, 1954 Hudson Italia, 1955 Thunderbird (#5), 1956 Thunderbird.
Thanks for the explanation -- you have restored my self-confidence. I've been collecting license plates for ~40 years, and used to spend a lot of time in California in the 60s and 70s. As a result, I KNEW that Calif did not issue any personalized numbers on black plates -- yet those plates (and the valid stickers) certainly looked authentic.

JRoberts
02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I looked at the ebay posting again and also talked with my cousin again. The plates in question are blue, not black. They are originals and not reproductions. They were on a '64 Cruiser my uncle purchased in California. Hope this helps.

Dick Steinkamp
02-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Joe,
The blue plates were 1970-1982. They are not yet cleared by the DMV for use as YOM plates. The 63-69 plates were just cleared, so maybe in another 7 years or so? In the meantime, they would be great wall hangings.

Dwain G.
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Any relation to the Orr's of hot rodding fame?

JRoberts
02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Joe,
The blue plates were 1970-1982. They are not yet cleared by the DMV for use as YOM plates. The 63-69 plates were just cleared, so maybe in another 7 years or so? In the meantime, they would be great wall hangings.

Thanks for the clarification.

JRoberts
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Any relation to the Orr's of hot rodding fame?

I have asked the genealogy buffs in the family about that and we cannot find a connection.

rbigcal
02-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Joe,
I,m in California, and didn't know you could use the black plates unless the are original on the car and registration or non-op has been maintained. Last I heard they were going to reproduce black plates to be sold like personalized plates if enough people signed up. I used to order repop plates from license plate tv to replace ones that were all torn up. When I went to order a set for the wagonaire im working on I was informed that the California state attorney general blocked the sale of the california plates. They want you to pay to buy the ones that the state will sell. So did that plan go to hell or what?

StudeRich
02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Joe, The blue plates were 1970-1982. They are not yet cleared by the DMV for use as YOM plates. The 63-69 plates were just cleared, so maybe in another 7 years or so? In the meantime, they would be great wall hangings.

OK, I see that we have unearthed 2 meanings here of the word "Cleared".
Dick uses it to mean that the Calif. DMV has not yet written a "Statute" to the DMV Code to allow the use of the later (1970) Blue plates for use as YOM Plates.

The common usage of the word concerning License plates as was used here on this string prior to that, was "Cleared" by the Calif. DMV meaning those Alphas and Numerals are not currently in use on a Motorcycle which is often the case, or any currently "in the computer system" Vehicle in Calif.

..........FYI

WinM1895
02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
It is my understanding, that after Gov'n Ahnold signed legislation several years ago, that black plates...as long as the number doesn't match a motorcycle plate (non commercial), can be installed on a vehicle that would have come with them originally (1963/70* cars, 1963/71 trucks).

Commercial black plates do not have such a restriction.

1956/62 yellow plates with black letters have been installed on these specific year vehicles for quite a while now. But like the black plates, require a YOM sticker.

Originally, when black plates were introduced in 1963, the yellow plates became invalid. Black plates have been valid since the first day they were issued.

Caveat Emptor ~ Let the buyer beware.

CA requires 'expensive to register' commercial plates on all trucks, regardless of age...unless they have a permanent mounted camper shell, slide-in-the-bed camper or a camper that is bolted to the rear frame rails ("back of cab" equipment).

If a cop spots a shovel or any other tool in a pickup bed with non commercial plates without a camper or camper shell, the driver is subject to a ticket.

Tonneau covers do not apply. When I bought a new 2004 Titan, salesman said you can install a tonneau cover, run non-commercial plates.

BS! He didn't know what the hell he was talking about!

* I'm not sure that the passenger car cut-off date is 1969 or 1970. I recall seeing new 1970 Mavericks that were introduced in June 1969, with blue plates.

Dick Steinkamp
02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
I,m in California, and didn't know you could use the black plates unless the are original on the car and registration or non-op has been maintained. Last I heard they were going to reproduce black plates to be sold like personalized plates if enough people signed up. I used to order repop plates from license plate tv to replace ones that were all torn up. When I went to order a set for the wagonaire im working on I was informed that the California state attorney general blocked the sale of the california plates. They want you to pay to buy the ones that the state will sell. So did that plan go to hell or what?

This from Wiki about the original yellow on black plates (63-69)

In addition to all plates in the section above these bases can be used for the year of manufacture program with appropriate year sticker. They can also be seen as regular registration with modern month/year stickers if the plates were originally registered to the vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California

kurtruk
02-04-2014, 10:32 PM
The subject plates of this thread are "Personalized" a.k.a. "Environmental" plates. They are legal to be transferred and put on any California vehicle (except motorcycles). However, any unpaid annual personalized plate renewal fees must be paid to put them in to use currently. That's the way I understand it.

kurtruk
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the explanation -- you have restored my self-confidence. I've been collecting license plates for ~40 years, and used to spend a lot of time in California in the 60s and 70s. As a result, I KNEW that Calif did not issue any personalized numbers on black plates -- yet those plates (and the valid stickers) certainly looked authentic.

There were Press Photographer yellow on black plates. And there were Ham Radio operator yellow on black plates. Might call them personalized ,since (at least the Ham Radio guys) they got their specific number on them. They stayed with the owner and it was always interesting to see the old yellow on black plates on newer vehicles into the 1980s. No other plates that I know of got moved "forward" onto newer vehicles.

Dick,
As I mention above, these are personalized plates. They would not be used for YOM. They can be transferred, sold, or gifted. Just be ready to pay any back fees. These show a sticker of 1984. GULP! 30 years times $25 (annual renewal for personalized [not license or reg]) a year (at least). Although as Bob Peterson has found in his dealings, maybe they have an exception to the rules someplace. The DMV also states that if you don't renew your personalized plates each year, they MAY issue your configuration to someone else. Although I just can't see them actually doing this.

Dick Steinkamp
02-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Dick,
As I mention above, these are personalized plates. They would not be used for YOM. They can be transferred, sold, or gifted. Just be ready to pay any back fees.

Thanks, Kurt. Got it.

WinM1895
02-04-2014, 11:10 PM

There were Press Photographer yellow on black plates. And there were Ham Radio operator yellow on black plates. Might call them personalized ,since (at least the Ham Radio guys) they got their specific number on them. They stayed with the owner and it was always interesting to see the old yellow on black plates on newer vehicles into the 1980s.

No other plates that I know of got moved "forward" onto newer vehicles.
This also applies to Consular Corps plates.

I've been aware since 1963, so...should have mentioned these specific yellow plates when I typed post #13.

Skip Lackie
02-05-2014, 04:34 PM
* I'm not sure that the passenger car cut-off date is 1969 or 1970. I recall seeing new 1970 Mavericks that were introduced in June 1969, with blue plates.
I have similar such memories. I believe some local DMV offices ran out of the black plates in mid-69, while others were still issuing black plates into early 1970. As parsimonious as Calif was/is about maximizing the life of their plates, I seriously doubt that all the DMV offices converted on the same day -- which would require discarding unused black plates.

spokejr
02-05-2014, 11:18 PM
I have similar such memories. I believe some local DMV offices ran out of the black plates in mid-69, while others were still issuing black plates into early 1970. As parsimonious as Calif was/is about maximizing the life of their plates, I seriously doubt that all the DMV offices converted on the same day -- which would require discarding unused black plates.

It worked this way, the plates were alpha nummeric. Once the sequence was run through, the blue plates carried on. While the field offices had a handfull of plates, everyone elses' came from Sacremento. The runout can around Sept.-Oct, I'm not too certain. In the fall of '69, my mom bought a '70 Mercury Montego MX Brougham and I can still remember the black plate sequence, ZWZ 648. In April '73 she bought a '73 MB 280 SEL and that plate was blue with the sequence 967 HHP.

ralt12
02-06-2014, 12:19 AM
See http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

So if you have a clear set of plates for the year of your car, (with some caveats) you can use them.

But the new ones don't look too bad, either:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283/ralt12/7d9dc416-8633-4a63-bc7d-228fb65bd52e.jpg

wittsend
02-06-2014, 01:24 PM
This came up in another post recently, but I'll include it here too:

I have a 1973 Datsun 510 (with the Blue & Yellow plates) that was given to me by the original owner. He took the car off the road in 1982 and never registered it after that. In 2002 I put the car back on the road. I was issued new plates. I found out that I could petition the DMV to allow reinstatement of my old plates, which I did. Initiated with a phone call there was paperwork I had to fill out. About a month later I received confirmation that my old plates were now valid. I even received a short, personal note from the woman I had talked to over the phone (nicest DMV experience).

The Blue & Yellow plates this post started with are interesting. They are not color correct for the time period of the I.D. which is "64 STUDE." So, it leaves me to wonder about the value they have to someone.

Regarding the YOM it brings up another interesting aspect. If someone brought an out of state car into California, say..., a 1964 Studebaker in 1968 then you would have a situation where the registration sticker is not germane to YOM of the car. I wonder how the DMV (should the law investigate) deal with that?
Could someone explain the need for the YOM sticker? The important aspect is proof of CURRENT registration. I see them for sale on EBay. Where do they come from? I can't imaging 50 years ago people paid for their registration and then just "sat" on the tag.

ralt12
02-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Regarding the YOM it brings up another interesting aspect. If someone brought an out of state car into California, say..., a 1964 Studebaker in 1968 then you would have a situation where the registration sticker is not germane to YOM of the car. I wonder how the DMV (should the law investigate) deal with that?
Could someone explain the need for the YOM sticker? The important aspect is proof of CURRENT registration. I see them for sale on EBay. Where do they come from? I can't imaging 50 years ago people paid for their registration and then just "sat" on the tag.

I believe what they want to make sure of is that it is a correct plate for the year (not a question of just the registration sticker). For example, in 1953 the correct plate was a 1951 plate with a small 1953 tab that covered the lower right of the plate. See examples here: http://www.davesclp.com/california.htm#1950

StudeRich
02-06-2014, 05:32 PM

I have a 1973 Datsun 510 (with the Blue & Yellow plates) that was given to me by the original owner. He took the car off the road in 1982 and never registered it after that. In 2002 I put the car back on the road. I was issued new plates. I found out that I could petition the DMV to allow reinstatement of my old plates, which I did. Initiated with a phone call there was paperwork I had to fill out. About a month later I received confirmation that my old plates were now valid. I even received a short, personal note from the woman I had talked to over the phone (nicest DMV experience).

The Blue & Yellow plates this post started with are interesting. They are not color correct for the time period of the I.D. which is "64 STUDE." So, it leaves me to wonder about the value they have to someone.

OK, in the case of the Yellow on Blue Plate that says 64 STDE or whatever, it still has value as a non-registered Front Plate for display only at Car Shows.

If they write a Statute allowing the Blue Plates to be used as YOM Plates then the Regular 1970 3 #'s & 3 Letters plates can be used with the proper year sticker for the years those plates were used only. However I never heard of a Personalized Plate being allowed for that purpose, because they require much higher annual Fees.

Where do you get them legally? I have File Folders for many, many Cars I have owned with old Registration Cards, Titles AND unused Stickers from Calif. and Wash. Other people have a few uninstalled ones and do Sell them.

There are also Co's making fake year stickers, it makes you wonder just HOW correct does the Calif. DMV want to be. They could ask for a matching Reg. Card showing that Sticker Serial Number, but I think people are getting away with it because they are not looking. As long as there are FEES to be collected, they are more than happy to TAKE them when the situation LOOKS Legal on the surface! If you are doing this, just hope they don't dig too deep!

wittsend
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
"OK, in the case of the Yellow on Blue Plate that says 64 STDE or whatever, it still has value as a non-registered Front Plate for display only at Car Shows. "

Yes, apparently $104.86 worth.

rbigcal
02-08-2014, 02:03 PM

That person was very lucky to find a DMV where somebody knew what they were talking about, I argued for about an hour once trying to use the original black and yellow plates on a 65 mustang. Finally gave up. The problem here in CA is most DMV employees don't know their butt from a hole in the ground about this type of stuff ! lol

Dick Steinkamp
02-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Here's a few from my man cave.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1476.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1475.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1477.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1474.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1469.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1471.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1470.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1472.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1473.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Plates/SAM_1468.jpg

wittsend
02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
"That person was very lucky..."

Being that I'm "that person" I need to let you know that I did not go through a local DMV. I went through Sacramento. Here is the address:

DMV Special Processing unit
2415 First Ave
Sacramento Ca 95818

This was in 2002. So, 12 years later things may be different. I remember at some point we had phone contact. My guess is that I included it in my initial letter. As I said above I was surprised that a month later the woman remembered our conversation and wrote a short personal note with the approval.