PDA

View Full Version : to bumper guard or not to bumper guard....A Poll:

jackb
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Poll Question: What do you think looks more appealing on the '62 to '63 Lark vehicles, front and rear bumpers.....with or without the 2 vertical bumper guards ?

Commander Eddie
02-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Call me practical --- I prefer the front and rear bumpers WITH the guards.

FlatheadGeo
02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I would say that back in the day that they offered necessary protection. Now, being collector cars, not so necessary. I removed the bumper guards from my '57 Champion, I just do not like them.

Mark57
02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I think having the bumper bars without the guards is a much cleaner and more pleasing look. :)

JimC
02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Do whatever you'd like :D

I will say, my '63 had bumper guards and I think they look nice. It adds a nice touch, in my opinion.

Orestudeguy
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I like them and plan on keeping them on my cars.

Studebakercenteroforegon
02-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes for bumper guards. All my Larks have them front and rear, and if I buy a car without them, then I put them on.

raprice
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Personally, I prefer the bumper guards. I have them on both front and back bumpers. To me, they look good. But that's my own humble opinion.

Rog

PackardV8
02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Agin 'em on any Stude.

jack vines

SScopelli
02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Humm?

Are you going to be push starting anyone's car soon with yours?

Or maybe your expecting being push started?

I'd leave them off, and keep your battery charged up, plus carry cables for the other guy..

The car looks more modern without them.

Besides, What are you guarding your bumper's for any way? You're not supposed to hit any thing..;)

TXmark
02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
I had mine replated 'nuff said

StudeMann
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Generally, I like the bumpers clean so the features of the body shape and trim show more clearly. In particular, I removed the deluxe over-rider and bumper guards on my 51 Land Cruiser so the shape of the hood, grille, fenders and bullet nose could make their own statement without interference.

Jim

EssexExport
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I believe they add to the car.

JDP
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
If they were a option, I leave them off for a cleaner look.

StudeRich
02-03-2014, 05:23 PM
I think it varies a lot with the style of the Cars, carrying Jim Mann's theory a bit farther, IF the Guards complete the Design Theme of the Grill and front end like the '64-'65 Lark Types do, continuing the line formed by the "V" shaped Grille, then they look Great. :!:

But in the case of the GT Hawks, unlike the '56-'61 Hawks, the Guards clutter up the design. :(

Roscomacaw
02-03-2014, 05:42 PM
You can damn sure bet that Bourke and Stevens didn't present their styling clays or sketches with guards on them! Besides, even if you DO bump something other than a nerf ball, the bumper's gonna have marks on it. THE most hideous bumper adornments are those godawful fog lites on the 53 thru 55 cars!

LarkR2Clone
02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I like them on my 63

Swifster
02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm taking them off my '64 Daytona...

SScopelli
02-03-2014, 06:53 PM
My mistake..

Modern cars do have bumper guards.

http://www.360safetygear.com/uploads/1/0/2/6/10263747/1470812_orig.jpg

Ooohhh.. Sexy.:yeahright:

Corvanti
02-03-2014, 06:53 PM
i've been debating whether to take the guards and/or the "top bar" off the '51. i think i'll take the front middle bar off to show the grille behind it. i may remove more, but afraid the bumper's chrome will be in bad shape behind the guards.
personally, i like most if not all, Studebakers without guards, etc...:)

StudeRich
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Well Kerry, it's YOUR Car, but I am sure it was Tom's intent to include every possible Accessory that he could possibly find on this car and being a stripper, that dressed it up a lot. So removing anything kind of defeats the purpose I think. :(

Effie
02-03-2014, 07:14 PM
My '63 Daytona has no front guards, and I like it that way. If the rear guards didn't have the license lights in them, I'd probably remove them as well.

Dick Steinkamp
02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Any car that looks good with bumper guards...looks better without them!

Corvanti
02-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Well Kerry, it's YOUR Car, but I am sure it was Tom's intent to include every possible Accessory that he could possibly find on this car and being a stripper, that dressed it up a lot. So removing anything kind of defeats the purpose I think. :(

Rich, that's exactly why i haven't done anything to it yet! this will always be "Tom's Car" but pulling up some old pics from threads from Matthew, they also made changes to her - including some "shiny" exterior accessories removed. (i usually like "shiny stuff"):), a exterior visor, plus a great looking red '52 steering wheel. :(

i'm not in any hurry to make changes and i don't want to hijack this thread. i was going to post some before and after pics whenever i took that front middle top bar off to see what folks thought looked better... idk.;)

JRoberts
02-03-2014, 08:05 PM
I took them off front and rear of my '65 Cruiser. I pondered briefly the removal of the guards with the lights for the license plates, but wanted the clean look and found nuts and bolts with lights built in. They light up the plates very well. So strip those bumpers down to one beautiful piece chrome sans bumper guards.

57pack
02-03-2014, 08:10 PM
My 1965 Wagonaire came from Hamilton with front bumper guards.
I elected to replace them when the front bumper was put ;)back together.

fpstude
02-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Bumper guards are good on our Studebakers.

Bullet
02-03-2014, 11:10 PM
yes I like them on my Cruiser and put one on my Starlight!

Mark

woodysrods
02-04-2014, 01:33 AM
They should be removed from ALL cars that the owners want to look GOOD!
Good Roads
Brian

Warren Webb
02-04-2014, 05:07 AM
It depends. The early Larks had those fat, stogy looking guards that were slimmed down later but placement is important too. If they are installed just outside the grille area they detract from the look but on 61-3s they only look decent if placed between the headlamps, yet on 64-66's the outer position works. However the 64-66 bumpers with the "built in" wrap-around look the best & don't need guards to interfere with the look.

rknight89
02-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Only my opinion...The '62-'63 Larks can live without the bumper guards because of the more stylized and longer overhang behind the rear wheels. Also, up front the more rounded out grille looks ok with or without bumper guards. The '59-'61 Lark definitely NEED bumper guards. Having the VERY squared off front and rear, the bumper guards are the only thing that gives the car a little shape to it's profile and adds a couple inches to the overhang. When I put the top down on my '61 convertible and look at it's profile...I see a cigar box;)!!! The bumper guards help a bit.

BobWaitz
02-04-2014, 07:09 AM
If you like the way they look put them on, if you don't leave them off. I don't like the way bumper guards look on cars. Also, I don't think every collector car needs to sport every accessory offered.

JEWELL
02-04-2014, 07:29 AM
My 1965 Wagonaire came from Hamilton with front bumper guards.
I elected to replace them when the front bumper was put ;)back together.

You just hit the mark, If the car came with guards put them on. If it came without guards leave them off.
Just saying....

Jerry Forrester
02-04-2014, 09:54 AM
I like for everyone to run as many guards as will fit on the bar.
But I dont run guards on my cars.

cultural infidel
02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I say with. I really like the look of the 60 Wagon with the front ones on.... and you can tell that they were well used lol

E. Davis
02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Considering what it cost me to have mine rechromed I'm definately leaving them on. Besides I want the classic original look and not the "modern" look.

GTCruiser
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Put a rechromed front bumper on the GT and it looked really nice. Placed the bumper guards back on and things didn't look as nice. Took off the guards, but had now scratched the bumper, so they are on.

clonelark
02-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Those god awful 53-55 fog lights are bringing a pretty good premium, $300 to $500 for nice ones

Bill Pressler
02-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Poll Question: What do you think looks more appealing on the '62 to '63 Lark vehicles, front and rear bumpers.....with or without the 2 vertical bumper guards ?

On a '62 and '63, I like the guards front and rear--just put them in the bolt holes they're supposed to be in--LOL. A lot of folks, and some dealers, put them one hole in too close to each other. Google any factory or brochure photo and they will show where Studebaker intended them to be.

I also like the winguards that were a mandatory option on Daytonas and Cruisers I remember Fred Fox saying in one of his old articles. They were the additions that made the front bumper 'wrap-around'. Newman and Altman had a bunch of them NOS, very reasonably priced (something like two for $35?) back in the '90's, still in the boxes.

StudeNorm
02-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I have owned '66 Cruisers with and without. In 1995 I built a very sharp looking Cruiser with a 350 high output motor and painted in Ford forest metallic green. It didn't have the guards. It was a major eye-catcher wherever it went.

My present Cruiser is harvest Gold and has the bumper guards. This car looks like someones Grampa's car. I have since come to the realization that the predominantly horizontal lines of the '66 grill and rear end along with the sharper body lines overall are all compromised by the oblong shaped vertical bumper guards. They would be practical on a grocery getter but is that what you use your car for?

In the case of the '64-'66 cars no guards looks much better...

j.byrd
02-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm with Mr. Steinkamp on this one.... except perhaps 57 Caddys.

Hallabutt
02-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I agree with JEWELL, depends on whether the car came with them or not. I like original cars and like to keep them as close to factory original as fifty or more years of use will allow. All of our Studebakers are so rare today that taking one of the unique guards off might deprive many people of seeing something that they may never have another chance of seeing. Every car is an historical artifact, until it is screwed with. When altered it just becomes the product of one person's whim and the car begins to loose some of its historic value. If you have to ask the question the best answer is to leave it alone.-Bill

brngarage
02-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Has anyone here tried "reshaping" the bumper surface of Lark rear bumper guards and using them in place of the one piece guard over the license plate on a /53 or /54? Just thinking out loud. Thanks.

SN-60
02-05-2014, 07:40 PM
To Me, a Studebaker Sedan or C/K type looks completely wrong without front bumper guards. It also bothers Me when someone leaves the fog lamps off a '55 Speedster, thinking the car looks better that way!

StudeRich
02-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Has anyone here tried "reshaping" the bumper surface of Lark rear bumper guards and using them in place of the one piece guard over the license plate on a /53 or /54? Just thinking out loud. Thanks.

No I think the cutout is too large, no way to make it smaller without more work than it's worth. Dick Steinkamp had the solution, he just left them off of his '54K.

However I have seen those small License Light Bumper Guards on the FRONT of a '64 Daytona I believe it was! :woot:

Don Jeffers
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I generally like cars without bumper guards and my 53K looks better without them, to my eye.

In fact, if the car's styling supports it, I prefer no bumpers a'tall. But the 53K needs that well intergrated shape of the front bumper, sans guards.

My 54K has a front license plate, hence the increased need for front guards to protect that like new, year-of-manufacture plate.

I don't like the taller 54 guards, the way they peek up and forward at the top, so I installed those god-awful fog lights, as some call them. I used black plastic door edging around where they contact the bumper, to protect the bumper. Gives a more finished look too.

I have considered replacing the yellow fog lamps with light aircraft clear lens, 6 volt landing lights just for a different look.

I've also thought of putting the smooth, clean '53 grilles and surrounds in the '54, but the car is so original; I just keep refining the '54 parts.

I do enjoy looking at all the cars though, from the goofy the the beautiful.

Whatever the year or make, I prefer a clean machine.

sals54
02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
As you can see below, my cars always have them removed. This started with me back in the 60s with my 64 MGB and has held true to this day.

rockne10
02-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I know the initial question was with regard to the Lark types and, while the design of the Bourke coupes is significantly different, there are comparisons to be drawn.
Here are three different visions of the same coupe. I tend to think of them as three characters in various social stratospheres.
We have the clean, uncluttered and to the point artisan; devoid of frills and able to maneuver through strife while avoiding entanglements.
We have the staid and conservative monger of business; with a mindful goal but wary of the incidents that may leave a dent or two.
And we have the ermine anointed and regal pomposity; so weighted by sheer bulk that it matters only to itself. Neither of them lacking validity.

StudeRich
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Nice comparison photo. The green Center Car actually has the somewhat rare 1953 Sedan only Front Guards on it!
The outboard mounted (wrong) small Guards on the first car are for '53 Coupes/Hardtops Only.