Avanti Inserts for center caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Inserts for center caps?

I was fortunate enough to find four new center caps for my magnum 500 wheels today at a swap meet. Several people on the forum said that Studebaker International had an Avanti insert for these caps. Looking in the catalog I saw both a decal and some medallions. I'm not sure what I should get for the center of the caps. Can someone please tell me what to buy?
    Thanks, Dave
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

my first thought is to adapt steering wheel hub emblems.

Comment

An original Magnum 500 medallion measures 1-3/4". You can use the 26-001 Avanti medallion found on page 31 of the SI catalog.
      Jim
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

SI has the silver background with black script and black background with silver script available. I put the black background with silver script of the Daytons on my 76 and they look great.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
          I was fortunate enough to find four new center caps for my magnum 500 wheels today at a swap meet. Several people on the forum said that Studebaker International had an Avanti insert for these caps. Looking in the catalog I saw both a decal and some medallions. I'm not sure what I should get for the center of the caps. Can someone please tell me what to buy?
          Thanks, Dave
          Jon Myer (Myer's Studebaker) also carries the ones that fits Magnum 500s. They are self-adhesive, but I have had a couple fall off so I would recommend using a little glue as well.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I contacted Wheel Vintiques about the center caps available for their 15 x 6 Magnum 500 wheels. I would like to put the Avanti 1 3/4" medallion in the center cap. The customer service person said the insignia area in the lower profile cap with the mustang pony measures 2". The insignia area in the higher profile Chrysler bullseye measures 1/3/4". I like the lower profile cap better but the bullseye appears to be a perfect fit. Has anyone used the Avanti 1 3/4" medallion in the 2" insignia area of the lower profile pony cap? If so, is the size difference noticeable?
            regards,
            Jay

Comment

I have Magnum 500 rims on my 73 Avanti and I have purchased Avanti Inserts from both John Meyer and SI that fit perfectly. I also have used them on the spinners that on my Star Wire Rims on my 63 Avanti R-2. Nostalgic Auto owned by Dan and Betty Booth have them as well.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by IMJ View Post
                I contacted Wheel Vintiques about the center caps available for their 15 x 6 Magnum 500 wheels. The customer service person said the insignia area in the lower profile cap with the mustang pony measures 2". The insignia area in the higher profile Chrysler bullseye measures 1/3/4".
                Do the original center caps with the mustang pony insignia measure 1 3/4"? Apparently the repros. measure 2". Or, has everyone used the Chrysler "bullseye" which are higher profile but measure 1 3/4"? Additionally, the repro. pony caps are a "snap-in" version while the bullseye caps are bolted in.
                regards,
                Jay

Comment

If you put SI's on with silicone sealer they WON'T fall off. I put these on one of my "other" 'glass cars when I bought it new more years ago than I can believe. And, they are just stuck on chrome, no prep other than a wipe-down with alcohol before installing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X