Polar Plunge-Special Olympics-Studebaker Forum t-shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar Plunge-Special Olympics-Studebaker Forum t-shirt

Yesterday I attended my first Polar Plunge event to raise money for Minnesota Special Olympics kids.
    A polar plunge is where a group cuts a hole in the ice on a beach or boat landing area and you jump in the water after raising money
    through pledges or cash donations.Brian Larson,a SDC and forum member donated to my cause and I thank him.
    I have 3 pics of my part.No video yet.
    To set the stage for the pics it was a sunny day with a temp of 15 degrees F and a 10-12 northwest wind resulting in a wind chill of about 0 degrees .
    Here is the team I jumped with.Notice the smiling faces and the guy on the left wearing a Studebaker t-shirt.
    The next pic is when we were about to jump in the 32-33F degree water.Many are still smiling.
    The last pic is after the front group had jumped.I was still falling in the shot(middle back) a couple smiling but most have the OMG look.
    The shock of the cold water isnt bad ...it's getting out soaking wet with that breeze you really notice.
    Here are a few facts.There were 873 plungers yesterday and over $162,000 was raised.I had a blast and will be doing it again.
    I am posting it here as there are no pics in Stove Huggers and a couple folks wanted proof I did jump in a lake in Minnesota in February.I was wearing a Studebaker shirt which does give a bit of Studebaker contentClick image for larger version

Name:	polar plunge 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1742463Click image for larger version

Name:	polar plunge 2.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1742464Click image for larger version

Name:	polar plunge 3.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1742465
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Thanks for the "exposure," Bob.

Wife-unit retired a couple years ago from a career teaching Special Education (save 17 years in the middle to stay home with our kids), and Special Olympics was an important part of her dedication to the cause.

Well-played; thanks again. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WAYTOGO Bob!!

(I think the Stude T shirt qualifies it for this forum )
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice going, Bob. Has the feeling come back yet?
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Wow! Way to go! I still remember an unusually warm day in April of 1966. I was in the Air Force stationed at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. Some of my buddies and I decided to put on bathing suits and visit the beach. I believe the temp got up into the high seventies that day. However, no one was going into the water. I decided to take the plunge. I cramped up so fast that I almost didn't make it back out of the surf.

I'm sure the water was not any where near as cold as the water you jumped in.
          That day, I learned a valuable lesson...some people can take cold water better than others. I have a much better understanding of how cramps can immobilize muscles and why (very healthy) people can tragically drown so quickly after falling through thin ice.

The water I cramped up so badly in was probably no colder than high 50's F in temperature...I participate in fund raisers...but you won't find me in the cold water events.

My hat is off to you.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am so sorry I missed that. Watching you, that is. Not the going in the water part. ;-) The expression on your face in the 3rd pic really captures the feeling!!!

Comment

We changed into our plunge outfits in a room heated to 85F and then into a holding area the same temp.
              When we walked outside I was so focused on what we were doing I never even felt the cold wind.
              Jumping in the water was very cold and at that point focus shifted to getting to the end of the water area and up the steps.
              From there it was a 20ft walk(run...lol) to another 85F tunnel that took us back to the changing rooms.
              Total time outdoors including group photo,staging,jumping and returning was around 3 minutes.
              Next year,Bob,and hey.... feel free to join in the fun!!
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
              X