PDA

View Full Version : First Real Road Test!!

Warren Webb
02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Well folks, I just came back from the first real road test on the 62 Champ. This poor truck hasn't been on the road for the past 10 years or so. That accomplishment makes me all the more excited. The only casualty was the shift knob that broke apart in my hand as I was seeing for the first time 5th gear overdrive. Not a problem for Studebaker International has one according to their website for $15.00. Power isn't where I'd like it but the refreshed Delco distributor containing the Pertronix module & Accel cap & rotor is waiting by my side as we speak. Should be installed early on this week but so far it's looking good!:rolleyes:

Once all the bugs are ironed out I'll feel confident to take my daily driver Ranger off the road for a clutch replacement & venture out to the freeway & bring back part of a floor pan that is the remains of a 65 Cruiser. The plan is to splice the Cruiser floor section into once was the floor in the Champ then adding a reinforcement I have planned in my head to strengthen the floor to "A" pillar making the door function much smoother. :D

Flashback
02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
I have done a lot of "first real road tests" over the years and it's ALWAYS exciting to me. Here's a shot of my current 53 project, on it's first road test.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/dadscarsept---2010053.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Flashback53/media/dadscarsept---2010053.jpg.html)

junior
02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Awesome! 2 highlights of any build...first fire-up, and first road test. Even better that you live in a fair climate area allowing you to do first drive at the start of Feb. cheers, junior

52-fan
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Exciting time for sure. I can't wait for my 52 to get here from Virginia so I can get it running again.

Pat Dilling
02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Congratulations! I expect people will be asking you what you are smiling about for a while!

Warren Webb
02-02-2014, 02:57 PM
I have her going right now on a fast idle. A temperature probe in the radiator neck showing 148 degrees so a thermostat is needed but the new water pump is showing excellent flow while I have heavy duty radiator flush circulating. If she ever runs out of gas (I put 5 gallons in when I started working on her getting it going) I'll be able to drain whatever is left in the tank & install a petcock so if any water or other contaminants develop, they can be easily drained. I have a reusable filter ahead of the new fuel pump that I'll clean & replace the metal filter in front of the carburetor. So far I'm very pleased. No blue smoke at all but only a exhaust leak sounding like coming from where to 2 banks join. I am a happy camper today!

SN-60
02-02-2014, 03:02 PM
That's great Warren...always exciting to bring one back from the dead!

63t-cab
02-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Warren, what's Your thoughts on the 5 o.d. tranny as for performance range between gears ?

doug
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm refreshing the engine on my '62 Champ, trans rebuilt. Waiting for parts but hope to be running for the Winter Meet. Parked for about 10 years too. I was amazed that the crank and bore were within factory specs after 150K. and 50 years of service.

Warren Webb
02-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Warren, what's Your thoughts on the 5 o.d. tranny as for performance range between gears ?

Well that's hard to say right now but I have to get used to that wacky shift pattern first & the engine seems to be lacking some power. That's what I hope to cure with all the old gas out of the system & knowing all the gas is fresh. The Delco distributor with the Pertronix module should help too along with fresh plugs I have at the ready. Then another road test will be more fair to judge the od trans but once it was in od today she seemed to move along good. Shifting was something else though!

showbizkid
02-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Very cool Warren!

StudeDave57
02-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear this news Warren-- good deal!!!

StudeDave '57 :cool:

62champ
02-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Even with the fast idle set to 2000 rpms, you could put it in first, let out the clutch and walk beside it and keep up without breaking a normal pace...

I had a cousin that once owned an 8E7-112 that was equipped with the 5th OD - I made two trips north to Indiana in that truck. Think he is still very sad he sold it.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/other/2001%20Texas/MVC-023S2.jpg

Would love to see some picture of the truck.

StudeRich
02-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Hi Warren, I have forgotten? maybe which Truck is which, but I rode in the Black Short Wide Bed Truck with the 4 Speed, a long time ago, that must have been the '61?
So you picked up the '62 5 Over, much later then?

I can answer T-Cab's curiosity about the New Process Overdrive though. I am running the same axle ratio as the 1/2 Ton Champ that the O.D. came out of in my 7E-13, 1 Ton Dually now, a Dana 70 TT 4.56. It works OK, but I am not impressed with Shop Manual noted "normal" noise in Neutral and 3rd., the awkward shift pattern that makes it a bit hard to not lose all of your RPM before you get it in gear, the stiffness, the poor gear spacing and of course the not much O.D. Ratio much Lower than the 3 Speed.

That T-98 4 Speed I removed was just the sweetest, smoothest shifting H.D. Gearbox ever, I wish I could afford to put it back in with a Gear Vendor O.D. behind it. I believe that Jack Vines is more familiar with these Trannys than I am, but also agrees that they do leave a lot to be desired.

Warren Webb
02-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Yeah Rich, the black one is the 61 with the 4 speed. I got the white 62 I think in june of 2012 from a family near San Diego. It was their dad's truck & he had passed away, the mother was losing the house & they were getting rid of all the father's stuff. He no doubt worked at Convair. There are 3 employee parking stickers in the right side of the windshield. If anyone down that way remembers this truck it would be nice to hear about the guy who owned it. The sons told me that he used to drive it everywhere, towing a trailer & all. When I picked the truck up the sons gave me a pair of doors, a front fender & fiberglass grille (all from a C cab).

SScopelli
02-03-2014, 02:05 AM
My son came out and caught me while I was doing my first run..

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/R2Whistler/media/R1%20Lark/video-2013-07-15-10-36-51_zpsc257db76.mp4.html