PDA

View Full Version : 59 Lark - Drivetrain swap questions

wheels777
02-02-2014, 06:20 AM
The 60 and 62/3 Larks are on the road. We recently picked up a 59 Lark 4-door. On a previous post, we got help location some SBC frame mounts. The thread fell off the map when I asked a different topic question in that thread. So, I thought I'd start another.

Does anyone have pics or recommendations on installing a T700R4? I'd appreciate any sharable lessons before I have 7-800 pounds hanging on the hook.

Also, any 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" headers that are not shorty headers?

Is there a kit that brings the Master Cylinder up onto the firewall?

Lanny Bertram
02-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I just mated a TH400 to a Stude 259 V8. I used the adapter plate sold on the Sutdebaker Parts Swap Page by
41 Frank (Frank Van Dorn).
It worked perfectly except for a few issues which were all covered in the instructions.
1.My torque converter's pilot diameter did not match the pilot hole on the flexplate so I bought a converter from B&M.
2. Make sure the bell housing bolt patterns line up on both the tranny and engine. I had to slightly enlongate the outside/lower mounting holes on the bellhousing. A $3 rotary file did the trick. I have heard of others having the same issue with other vendors plates.
3. Make sure the end of the crankshaft is good and clean. I used emory cloth on the crank, the plate and the alignment tool provided in the kit because the close tolerances made it difficult to remove.
4. I did not use the set screws provided in the kit to hold the upper bolts because they prevented the bell housing from fitting flush. I was able to prevent the screws from turning by inserting a screwdriver in the slots cut into the tappered heads.
If I can be of any help let me know.

COMMANDERPINK1
02-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Along the lines of the trans swap what are you doing for the speedometer cable of the GM to Studebaker?

wheels777
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Along the lines of the trans swap what are you doing for the speedometer cable of the GM to Studebaker?

On the 60 and the 62/3 we used an off the shelf cable from Advanced. If you need the number I can pull the info from the receipt folders.

wittsend
02-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I did a write up on my '64 Daytona/350SBC/700R4 Installation. I assume you are going with the SBC based on your statement regarding the mounts.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?65493-Flight-o-Matic-Length&p=682457#post682457

wheels777
02-02-2014, 06:35 PM
I did a write up on my '64 Daytona/350SBC/700R4 Installation. I assume you are going with the SBC based on your statement regarding the mounts.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?65493-Flight-o-Matic-Length&p=682457#post682457

Thanks Tom. Read the whole thing. I knew the one crossmember would be an issue. I have to make the rear one. I am curios about floor clearance and the dipstick tube area.

cutitup
02-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I used a 68 Camaro cross member in a 59 lark worked great I used a set of headers off of a 90 corvette I no there short but theres a big clearance issue im prettie good at making things work out could not find any long headers the brakes I used wildwood pedal and master cyl hope this is some help

1962larksedan
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
1974 Chevy 350/350 out of a Chevelle into my (late) 1962 Lark was almost 100% plug 'n' play using 1965-66 V8 pedestals and generic 1960's SB Chevy motor mounts. I had to make a rear crossmember which was no big deal. Everything cleared including the tranny dipstick and an HEI ignition. :)

wittsend
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I thought the "flatness" of the transmission tunnel would be an issue and used a mallet down the backbone (pounding from the underside). But, once the transmission was in it seemed like it wasn't necessary.

The dipstick tube I did have issues with. My trans. donor car was a '92 Buick Roadmaster. I do not know if there was a tube from another car that would fit. In my case I used 1/2" electrical conduit "bent to fit." I silver soldered the original factory ends on to fit the trans. and dipstick.

All I had to do for the mount was to slot the bolt holes. I did dimple the top center as the 700R4 has a "bulb" in the tailshaft where the speedometer connector is. I don't know that that was necessary either. It was just me being prudent to not having to say, "Why didn't I do that BEFORE I put the trans in." The Batwing was more of a major modification.

Also be aware that the driveshaft has a broke back installation. The angle numbers were driving me nuts until I understood that.

wheels777
02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I thought the "flatness" of the transmission tunnel would be an issue and used a mallet down the backbone (pounding from the underside). But, once the transmission was in it seemed like it wasn't necessary.

The dipstick tube I did have issues with. My trans. donor car was a '92 Buick Roadmaster. I do not know if there was a tube from another car that would fit. In my case I used 1/2" electrical conduit "bent to fit." I silver soldered the original factory ends on to fit the trans. and dipstick.

All I had to do for the mount was to slot the bolt holes. I did dimple the top center as the 700R4 has a "bulb" in the tailshaft where the speedometer connector is. I don't know that that was necessary either. It was just me being prudent to not having to say, "Why didn't I do that BEFORE I put the trans in." The Batwing was more of a major modification.

Also be aware that the driveshaft has a broke back installation. The angle numbers were driving me nuts until I understood that.

The floor was one on my concerns. The driveshaft angle I understand. Thanks wittsend