Front license plate holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front license plate holder

Since I moved to the midwest I've registered my 63 Avanti in my new state, which requires a front tag. -sigh- The car looks eminently cooler without a front plate, but the LAW is the LAW and I'd like a suggestion of what to get, if someone's been thru this before, too.

Additional bummer is the fact in Washington state, it could be registered a "classic" and after a one-time fee, that's it. Here, it'll be $50 a year. The DMV gal told me it used to be $5 yearly, but those wonderful legislators raised it. I know it's winter and the cool cars are off the road, but I just don't think many guys here are into the classics.

Hi Tom, forgot you left us. Don't they just remove the center rubber bumper and fasten the plate under it using the same fasteners and then reinstall the Bumper over it? Not the prettiest, but it should work.
    Mine is just hanging from tie wraps with felt on the back so it flips up at speed.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich, I'll try that!

Comment

At the L.A. Roadsters show I saw a vendor that had a vacuum operated lic. plate. It, with some creative bracketry, could work well in an Avanti. When vacuum is applied the plate folds upward, so in an Avanti, when the engine runs the plate would hinge up & away from the radiator intake. Likewise, when shut down it would drop & show. I was going to get one until the price, $175.00, stopped me. The funds weren't in my life at the time.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

When I purchased my Avanti several years ago (in Iowa) it had a front plate (AVANT1) fastened under the front rubber (as suggested above). When I registered it, I didn't want to waste cash on a vanity plate, so just got regular plates (NOT collector... to limited). I put one on the back and the other in the trunk & have never had it questioned by an officer of the law. I drive it in Iowa quite a bit in and out of town.... but not this time of year!

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            At the L.A. Roadsters show I saw a vendor that had a vacuum operated lic. plate. It, with some creative bracketry, could work well in an Avanti. When vacuum is applied the plate folds upward, so in an Avanti, when the engine runs the plate would hinge up & away from the radiator intake. Likewise, when shut down it would drop & show. I was going to get one until the price, $175.00, stopped me. The funds weren't in my life at the time.
            when i had my Corvette(s), there were several vendors that had electrically operated front license plate devices. in a two plate state, down for driving (if necessary) - up for showing. that might be something to check out.

also, states may vary on the location of a front plate. some must be centered - some may be off to the side a bit. that would help not to mess up the center rubber strip.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Years ago someone was selling a piano hinged bracket that would allow the license plate to hang normally when stationary and hinge back horizontal at speed. It affixed to the center of the front bumper between the rubber cushion and the bumper itself, like the powered ones described above. You could probably make one for only a few dollars.

The only problem I saw with them it if that if your car has the stone guard over the radiator scoop, the license plate will hinge back and hit it.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Interesting, but I do not think it would impress a 'difficult' police officer

Comment

Here we only need a rear plate. I wonder if those vacuum devices would work on rear plates; it would be nice to have a rear plate that would flip up in intersections with red light cameras or for photo radar or in bus/taxi only zones.

Comment

That's an evil idea...I like it. It's in the same league as rotating plates on an Aston-Martin DB5.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      Interesting, but I do not think it would impress a 'difficult' police officer
                      I thought of that but whats the one thing they always say when your pulled over? License & registration & insurance i.d &"TURN OFF THE ENGINE." So when you do that vacuum stops & the plate goes down & he is stopped in his tracks.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

... whats the one thing they always say when your pulled over?
                        Go faster than they do and it's not a problem.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Fast??? With an Avanti, that is easy!

Comment

TOM, have been running my 73 avanti11 fore the last 12 yrs. with no front plate and no problems yet, plates for the yr. only run 20 some a yr.Mac

Comment

Funny I should read this just now. I was swapping tales with a Stude fella while ago and he told of being pulled over for no front plate. But when the officer walked to the front of the car to confirm that, there hung the plate! It was suspended by wire thru the top screw holes and would fold back at speed. Officer muttered or stuttered something and told the driver to go on!
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X