PDA

View Full Version : new member: 1955 pickup....starting resto-rod project.

elmer
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know of a site that lists hub to hub dimensions? Also, any vehicles with same wheelbase & hub to hub dimensions that could be used for body & frame swap? Thanks

Skip Lackie
01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
There probably no perfect frame swap for the Stude pickups. Disc brake conversions for the existing axles are available from Jim Turner. And there are a number of front ends that can be grafted on to give you R&P steering, disc brakes, and independent front suspension. One that seems to fit well is Ford Aerostar.

You might try the search function, just to get an idea of what has been proposed. This subject has been discussed many times before.

elmer
01-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks much for info. Heard someone say that 89 Dodge Dakota was a real close fit for total swap. Also that some of the Ford Explorers might work. Would be nice since they have 4 wh disc brakes. Have you heard any info on this? Thanks.

rodnutrandy
01-31-2014, 08:46 PM
I would try a s10 frame ,but really don't know . I do know a Chevy 1/2 ton frame is exactly same width as a M series Studebaker frame ,but has a wider track . Have heard Dakota also .

avantilover
01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sure some of the hot rod builders would be able to make suggestions as to what they'd use if you were paying them to build your project.

Regardless, all the best with it Tom, and a big welcome from all of us in Australia.