Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1962 Seattle World's Fair Was Studebaker there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Seattle World's Fair Was Studebaker there?

I have often wondered if Studebaker had an exhibit at the Century 21 Exhibition in Seattle. Did they or a Dealer participate?

I was there, but I don't remember a Studebaker exhibit.

A Studebaker custom I owned was there, however...

The only manufacturer I remember there was Oldsmobile...

I fell in love with the 62 Starfire and still lust after one...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

That 62 Starfire is on my hit list as well. And a 61 Pontiac Ventura bubbletop. Oh yeah and 56 Continental. That's all.

Comment

There was a fellow here in town who purchased a 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire in Sunset Mist and silver. Sort of similar to the 1963 Studebaker Rose Mist, What a beautiful car!
        He bought it from Mr. Arena of Arena Oldsmobile Co. Still in business selling Buick-GMC, where I bought my pickup.
        I think the 62 Olds is still around town, though I haven't seen it lately.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The Pontiac Firebird III concept car was displayed there, but I don't know in what pavilion.
          My uncle was NCO of the year at a nearby airbase, so he got a VIP tour of the fair and to sit in it. As a kid a had a nice 8" x 10" of him in the car.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Pretty cool ad...

Everything is still just about as it was when it was Century 21...now called Seattle Center. It's one of our favorite places to hang out when we are in Seattle.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

One of my NAVY buddies was into those Starfires. I'd have to ask to be sure but I think his was a '62.
              He might still have it...? We have folks here on the Forum who live on Whidbey Island- anyone seen it?

As for Seattle Center- am I the only one who misses the Flag Day Studebaker Show?
              The Greater Seattle SDC used to put it on every year.
              Bring it back guys!!!

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This ad is from the Seattle P-I World's Fair edition, March 25, 1962:

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
                  That 62 Starfire is on my hit list as well. And a 61 Pontiac Ventura bubbletop. Oh yeah and 56 Continental. That's all.
                  I also notice that in the more recent photos the tailights were changed to what looks like 56-57 Continental tailights...

Comment

I was there, too, but don't remember Dick's car. I believe GM had their own building, and I thought Ford and Chrysler did, too. No Stude. I've got a bunch of slides around here somewhere . . . .
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Appears that a '57 up steering column was installed in that Speedster?....or was just the hub of the later model Stude steering wheel reworked?

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        I was there, too, but don't remember Dick's car. I believe GM had their own building, and I thought Ford and Chrysler did, too. No Stude. I've got a bunch of slides around here somewhere . . . .
                        I believe it was there at a one weekend only car show. (from one of the magazine articles I got with the car)
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          Appears that a '57 up steering column was installed in that Speedster?....or was just the hub of the later model Stude steering wheel reworked?
                          I don't know, but it is super easy to either use a collar from a later floor shift car on the original column or shave and fill the original collar. I've done the former on the Kart Hauler and the later on my black Starliner.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like the local Studebaker dealers made a good attempt to attract some of the Fair business. It would have been nice if they could have had a prototype Avanti on display to give their customers a real "Peek at Tomorow"!
                            Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                            This ad is from the Seattle P-I World's Fair edition, March 25, 1962:

Comment

Also on this custom '55 Speedster....I find it interesting to see what a Speedster dashboard looks like with padding on it!.......Not bad

Comment

Working...
                              X