Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a n.o.s. 289 crank shaft they'd sell ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a n.o.s. 289 crank shaft they'd sell ?

A buddy of mine is looking for a n.o.s. crank," I think for a full flow = long snout ?" could an early one be used in a full flow ?,anyways the question is there one available ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Yes, an early shaft can be used as long as the appropriate bolt comes with it.

Might as well take a poll here. What would an NOS 289" crankshaft be worth these days?

Might as well ask another question. Why is your bud so adamant about paying huge bucks for a NOS shaft? The engine will never know if it's got a used shaft which ran 100,000 miles and then was turned .010"-.020" or .030".

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I certainly do not have the mechanical experience as you have,but I agree with what You say about the crank not having a mind of it's own.He made a comment that He's never had any luck with anyone turning a crank for Him,says no one seems too know what they're doing "maybe those guys didn't ?" likely He'll end up with a .010 job.
      Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Yes, an early shaft can be used as long as the appropriate bolt comes with it.

Might as well take a poll here. What would an NOS 289" crankshaft be worth these days?

Might as well ask another question. Why is your bud so adamant about paying huge bucks for a NOS shaft? The engine will never know if it's got a used shaft which ran 100,000 miles and then was turned .010"-.020" or .030".

jack vines
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I will take a guess at $500.00 to $850.00 for a Long Snout 289 in perfect NOS condition. Until we see one peak out on eBay, I guess we won't actually KNOW.

What was Dennis' last price at SASCO? $1400.00 or so I think, or was that one of the NOS 289 Block and Pistons?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He made a comment that He's never had any luck with anyone turning a crank for Him,says no one seems too know what they're doing
          As they say, "Your results may vary," but I've been using reground cranks for fifty years and never had any problems with them. These days, I line hone all my blocks and balance all the rotating assembly. Those two steps definitely increase performance and longevity.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I bought a new 289 crank 18 months ago for $450 (plus freight)...
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What would be the part # you're looking for?

Comment

"Should" be a p/n# 1558030

But that number is off of the box, so it could be different..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude 289 Crankshaft a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1687548
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  "Should" be a p/n# 1558030

But that number is off of the box, so it could be different..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31935[/ATTACH]
                  Part number on the crank throw is 1556444.

Ted

Comment

The one I have is #536452. Guess that's for a 259 if anyone needs one.

Comment

Working...
                    X