Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gas tank for your Studebaker?

Studebaker C/K Gas Tank Survey.
    Do you have a leaky, badly dented, or missing gas tank for the dream car you are restoring?
    I AM LOOKING INTO GETTING NEW TANKS MANUFACTURED FOR C/K BODIED STUDEBAKERS!
    Right now I am looking into two options for a bolt-in replacement.
    The least expensive one would NOT be a clone of the factory tank. To save tooling costs, they can use the bottom half of a currently manufactured tank with a slightly different profile; but the top half of the tank would be set for your Studebaker fuel inlet and sender.
    The considerably more expensive route would be to completely tool for two new stampings and build tanks from there that would be clones.
    I do not have a price idea at this time (but we are talking close to $30,000 to tool up for a completely new tank).
    If you are probably interested at this time, send me an email at millersigns1@gmail.com with the subject line of FUEL TANK.
    I will keep interested parties informed of progress. It would probably take 75 commitments to make this a happening. When I get commitments in that number, I will start working out the details.
    Thank you,
    Duane Miller
    Last edited by Deaf Mute; 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM. Reason: spelcheck

I would think you would need to have the correct bottom to have the Fuel Line Outlet correct and increase it to 3/8" for R Series and Supercharged Cars, it can always be reduced for others.

And when you form the Top Half, you would want to have a Fuel Return hose nipple at the Left Front corner for the cool fuel return system used on "R" Series Hawks and modified Studes. That would just be another inexpensive selling feature to make it more desirable and add sales.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is no fuel outlet in this tank, one would drill and install the tube where you need it (the tank in question had it's pickup tied in with the sender).
      I was assured we could work with the manufacturer on the minor details.
      Most of their tanks are selling in the $250 - $275 range... but being a smaller volume, we might end up on the high side of that.... first we need to find demand.
      (I also need to double check my spelling of "Studebaker" before hitting the enter key in the title... I can't correct it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
        /Cut/(I also need to double check my spelling of "Studebaker" before hitting the enter key in the title... I can't correct it now.
        Actually you can, it is done by going to the "Go Advanced" Mode button at the bottom.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Consider the relatively high number of C-K survivors out there; it might be feasible to tool up for a 'generic' style gas tank that at least would physically fit with optional filler locations that could be moved by the end user assuming they vary between different models.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The Tank it comes probably the closest to, is the '63-'66 Wagonaire Tank. You could make it fit both fairly easy.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I thought you were pretty close on spelling the first time,except you left out the L between the E & the B {STRUDELBAKER} Can't leave out the Amish folks . Sounds like good idea to make repros. for scarce or unobtanium. Trouble I'm having ,is selling off useable used parts. Seems like most want concourse or museum quality for 0.
              Last edited by arthurc1946; 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to have a welded steel tank build up out of flat steel if not being a stock look was required. That way it would be easy to add in what ever outlets and fittings where needed.

Comment

Other than the non-stock appearance, I would think that the least expensive route would be to make up a plastic tank as used on most late model cars. This would eliminate the cost of the metal dies. The company would just have to blow mold the plastic. A pattern could be made from an original tank.
                  I will make a guesstimate of 5000 C/K models still in existance. Of this, I would guess that one percent (50), or less, may go for the cost of a new tank.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The early (thru 57) ck tanks had the fuel outlet incorporated into the sending units. These sending units are HARD to find. The later ck tanks sending units are available. I too would recommend a 3/8 outlet on the bottom with a fuel return inlet on top for this running r1 or FI. $275 is reasonable. I could have sold two this last year we had to scrounge around to find a decent used tanks. Good luck with your venture.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by arthurc1946 View Post
                      I thought you were pretty close on spelling the first time,except you left out the L between the E & the B {STRUDELBAKER} Can't leave out the Amish folks . Sounds like good idea to make repros. for scarce or unobtanium. Trouble I'm having ,is selling off useable used parts. Seems like most want concourse or museum quality for 0.
                      I love Strudel and Studebakers. Getting hungry.... Off to the bakery!
                      Seriously, all kidding aside, new fuel tanks for CK bodies with a ability to fit Wagonaires would be a great market improvement.
                      Last edited by 57pack; 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks, Stude Rich I have now corrected the spelling in my title. Gee, I learn something new every day.
                        Now it is February & I need to shovel snow once again... Did Studebaker ever make a snowblower???

Comment

Interesting reading steal vs. plastic light vehicle fuel tanks, Just FYI.

Henry Votel,
                          Forest Lake, MN
                          Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                            The early (thru 57) ck tanks had the fuel outlet incorporated into the sending units. These sending units are HARD to find. The later ck tanks sending units are available. I too would recommend a 3/8 outlet on the bottom with a fuel return inlet on top for this running r1 or FI. $275 is reasonable. I could have sold two this last year we had to scrounge around to find a decent used tanks. Good luck with your venture.
                            Not really too hard to 'rework' the later senders into the 'through the sender' fuel pickup tube type for use in earlier C/K's. I've done a couple.

Comment

UPDATE www.tanksinc.comwww.yogisinc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X