1961 Hawk bucket seat foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1961 Hawk bucket seat foam

Is the 61 foam still available or has anyone found another manufactures replacement seat foam that would work on the WIDE 1961 hawk bucket seats.
    USASTUDE

.... try your local auto upholsterer.....

Comment

Im sorry, as i was wanting to recover the seats my self for a few reasons the biggest being money.
      I just threw on some new springs then sandblasted and rebuilt the buckets also i welded up the reclining option i still need to finish up blasting, as some other priorities took over. almost done
      Finally picked up a new set of seat covers but now i just need the foam.
      Was thinking the same thing to be pointed in the right direction but just thought i would give it a shot. Ive been looking at other manufacturers foam and some are a very close fit .

Originally posted by jackb View Post
      .... try your local auto upholsterer.....
      USASTUDE

Comment

I believe the only way you are going to get it right since you already stripped them, is borrow another '61 Hawk Seat, buy the Foam Blocks the Shops use and carve them to match the shape you want, using the sample.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might want to consider using Mercedes seat foam as was discussed in this forum thread.

My parents own a 1961 Hawk and we also had Mercedes sedans around when I was growing up - I recall the seat bottoms being about the same size and contour.

Comment

Arizona car, the complete interior turned to dust years ago and blew out the windows.
            61 had oddball extra wide buckets leaving no room for a console between the seats.
            Im thinking some huge American car like a Cadillac should work, im not giving up yet as carving these things up is risky for the experienced.
            USASTUDE

Comment

I have a pair of early buckets that might fit your needs. It will be a few days before I can get my hands on them and take some pics. I'm in Phx area.
              Pm me if your interested.
              Russ

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
              Arizona car, the complete interior turned to dust years ago and blew out the windows.
              61 had oddball extra wide buckets leaving no room for a console between the seats.
              Im thinking some huge American car like a Cadillac should work, im not giving up yet as carving these things up is risky for the experienced.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Try any upholsterer in your area (chairs, sofas etc.) and ask for high density (firm) 3" thick foam. You want to stuff as much foam as possible under the skins to have proper comfort and support. Shape and sculpt the foam with an electric knife. You don't have to be too fussy, as you want the foam buns oversize for the shape of the seat by at least 1" margin in plan layout. You will have to kneel or sit on the covers in order to compress the foam sufficiently to attach the covers to the frame. It can be done by yourself, but a helper is an asset. Go easy on any sculpting, as you want to maintain maximum foam thickness for a good "full" appearance.

Comment

Working...
                X