Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti Steering box cover

Hello,
    I have an Avanti steering box which I would like to rebuild however the alloy cover has a large crack through it.
    I doubt that it could be successfully repaired as it is reasonably large . Is there another Ross cover that could be used as a substitute ?
    If not are the any sources for the alloy cover.
    Thanks
    Peter

The Avanti vs Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalogs will be your friends to compare Cover Part Numbers.

The '59 & '60 Model Larks have Ross Gear Boxes, and so do '59 to '61 Hawks.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you can't find one, I have a spare Avanti Ross Steering Box.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

64 studeavanti.....check your PM

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
          If you can't find one, I have a spare Avanti Ross Steering Box.
          Thanks,
          Are you willing to part with the cover ?
          pb

Comment

The one on my Avanti cracked back in the early 80's, I took it to a welding shop that did aluminum, and they welded it up. I did have to flatten out the gasket surface, buy taping sandpaper to a piece of glass. Still have the Avanti, and still no problems! I had checked with Frost & French for a new one back then, and they were not available.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              The one on my Avanti cracked back in the early 80's, I took it to a welding shop that did aluminum, and they welded it up. I did have to flatten out the gasket surface, buy taping sandpaper to a piece of glass. Still have the Avanti, and still no problems! I had checked with Frost & French for a new one back then, and they were not available.

Jim
              Thanks Jim,
              I assumed they would be difficult to find. Mine has cracked through the bolt hole for the adjuster and would be a good 3 to 4 inches long so I'm not so confident .
              pb

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                Thanks,
                Are you willing to part with the cover ?
                pb
                Starlight is wanting the entire box. If that falls through, I will get back in touch.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                  Starlight is wanting the entire box. If that falls through, I will get back in touch.
                  Thanks,
                  I figured that, maybe he would like to pass on his cover if he has one?
                  pb

Comment

The adjustment is on the SIDE cover. The top cover adjusts the end play with shims. If the side cover is broken , any Ross cover (like from a Hawk) will fit.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      The adjustment is on the SIDE cover. The top cover adjusts the end play with shims. If the side cover is broken , any Ross cover (like from a Hawk) will fit.
                      Thanks Bez,
                      It is the side cover that is cracked. I have eyeballed a ross steering box I have laying around and it looks to have the right bolt holes but I wasn't sure if the thickness or shape would be an issue. I will pull it apart and see if it fits.
                      pb

Comment

Thanks Bez,
                        It is the side cover that is cracked. I have eyeballed a ross steering box I have laying around and it looks to have the right bolt holes but I wasn't sure if the thickness or shape would be an issue. I will pull it apart and see if it fits.
                        pb
                        Bez, I tried. The holes line up but the shape is all wrong.
                        pb

Comment

Does it seal the box? Is the sector shaft adjustment screw in the same location? Does it clear all internal movement? That is the main concern.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez, I tried. The holes line up but the shape is all wrong.
                            pb
                            Probably an earlier (read that smaller) Ross steering box.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Does it seal the box? Is the sector shaft adjustment screw in the same location? Does it clear all internal movement? That is the main concern.
                              Bez,
                              No it doesn't seal the box, so I didn't look any further. It was completely the wrong shape leaving the box unsealable in areas, however the bolt holes lined up.
                              I will keep looking around and see if any other Ross box will fit.
                              pb

Comment

Working...
                              X