t96 overdrive trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: t96 overdrive trans

I see that SI wants $750 for a new t96 overdrive. Whats a fair price for a used t96 overdrive from a 58 sliver hawk flat head 6 with 30,000 actual miles on it? Anyone need one?

at 1st I thought you wanted to buy one.....but the answer is still the same. Mileage should mean nothing to the buyer unless he drives the car (tranny) before buying it. That being said, like most engines...its a " pig in the poke".....I'll throw out a $150 amount to get things going. Also...having made this mistake myself, the '59 and up trannys do not work with the earlier trannys ! they have different speedo gear/input sizes.......so you'll be selling your tranny to a pre '59 owner.

Comment

I sent a truck load of 6 cyl. trans to New Zealand rather than to China, no call for them in the parts business.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

So Bob what your saying is unless I can find a use for it myself I'll die with it.

Comment

I suspect there are quite a few folks driving those flatheads with a straight 3-speed who would love to have overdrive but simply haven't given it much thought. They are also heavy to ship.
          So...you are looking at a limited market that YOU will need to hunt for or create; and they would prefer you be able to deliver it to a swap meet or other convenient locale.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Unless you are very lucky - it only takes one- $100. Demand, location, shipping all enter into this.
            I sold a good OD transmission for a late V8 for $150 and that included new cable, wiring, etc.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I rebuild OD transmissions and seldom have to pay more then $50 for re-buildable cores. You would be surprised what I find in transmissions that are believed to be good and don't need rebuilding. For anyone going to York and have useable OD cores call me. 717 308 1800
              Jerry Kurtz

Comment

I know this was a good trans when I pulled it out in the mid 80's. I drove the car for a few months and it had 29,000 and some change actual miles on it. It was a stock flat head 6 and ran good but smoked a little and leaked oil from every gasket it had as it had sat in a garage in north Minneapolis for years. But a clean of the gas line and it fired right up and you couldn't hear it run. I just thought maybe some one with a mid 50's 6cyl and three speed may want overdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  I just thought maybe some one with a mid 50's 6cyl and three speed may want overdrive.
                  I guarantee someone does. Before giving up, why not post a free for sale ad in TURNING WHEELS? Determine beforehand if you can arrange delivery to York swap meet in March or South Bend Michiana swap meet in May.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    at most engines...its a " pig in the poke".....I'll throw out a $150 amount to get things going. Also...having made this mistake myself, the '59 and up trannys do not work with the earlier trannys ! they have different speedo gear/input sizes.......so you'll be selling your tranny to a pre '59 owner.
                    Does it have the long tailshaft on it? I think it probably does and the 57 has the short one. I think you have a late, 58 and up, transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      /Cut/I just thought maybe some one with a mid 50's 6cyl and three speed may want overdrive.
                      NOT SO FAST!
                      The issue no one has mentioned is that a '58 is a LONG TAIL Trans.
                      So it does not bolt into a '57 or older car without changing the driveshaft type, and cutting out the crossmember.

If it is true that '59 and up speedo gears are different as noted in Post #2, that would make it '58 only, but I doubt that. The big change was '58, and after that should be all the same.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X