PDA

View Full Version : Been working on the Hawk

bezhawk
01-27-2014, 11:13 PM
31841318423184331844 Couldn't pull the dent well enough, it was too overworked from a previous bodymans attempt.....so I leaded it .

52 Ragtop
01-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Nice work! Glad to see the proper safety equipment being used! Also glad to see that others can still do lead work!

Jim

PackardV8
01-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Very impressive. That you can do lead work with the fender vertical just blows me away. I have to lay it horizontal. ;>)

jack vines

bezhawk
01-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Very impressive. That you can do lead work with the fender vertical just blows me away. I have to lay it horizontal. ;>)

jack vines Yeah huh.....I didn't want to burn a hloe in the computer screens! :woot:

evilhawk
01-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Your lead working skills far exceed my Bondo working skills! Great job!

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-28-2014, 01:49 PM

jack vines

I want to know how Brad stands sideways. This type of magic trick is impressive too.

Allen

GThawkwind
01-29-2014, 02:35 AM
I want to know how Brad stands sideways. This type of magic trick is impressive too.

Allen
Just think, no trying to lean over fenders, or the radiator for him.
Actually though more impressive to me is someone who can actually do lead work. Probably don't too many chances with all those Avantis. I didn't even know you owned any metal studes.

EssexExport
01-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Nice job. :!:

sweetolbob
01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Allen

The ability to levitate separates the good body men from the "Great" body men.:rolleyes: I'm always impressed by the ability to do lead work. The body shop guy that let me work on a rusted fender on my 56 Chevrolet while he repaired and leaded the other side after an accident still amazes me after all these years. He let me do it because I couldn't afford to have the work done while the insurance paid for the other side. He then painted both sides for the price of one.

John was great. Never understood how he could levitate either.:woot:

Bob

bezhawk
01-29-2014, 09:45 AM
I've never had any luck leading an Avanti! what gives?? maybe wrong flux? The Trunk is now done too.3188531886Had to seperate the outer skin to treat the metal where the strip tank couldn't reach. Sand blasted and zinc rich primer, the straighten larger dings, then epoxy prime, the sound deadener, then reskin, and seal the edges with panel bond, then epoxy prime the whole thin, then finish body work, then reprime with another coat of epoxy. Still have to polyester prime and block before paint, which is further off in the future.

Colgate Studebaker
01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Brad, how did you "de-skin" it? Is there a tool to peel the lip up, or what? Boy, you do beautiful work. I'm always amazed when you make your posts. Bill Van Alstyne

bezhawk
01-31-2014, 06:35 PM
...didn't want to mess with someone else's gawd awful attempt at straightening it. The metal was full of holes, stretched, and heated beyond re working. I could have attempted to metal finish it, but thought a waterproof coat of lead would prevent further problems in the future.

showbizkid
02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
This topic drifted badly. The entire "lead vs. bondo" thing has been moved here, (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?78650-Lead-vs-Bondo) should anyone wish to continue it.

I'll add my voice to those who admire Brad's work :)