Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Without going crazy, just the basics........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without going crazy, just the basics........

Ok we all love tools, at least I think we all do:-)
    Simple question: What tools should one carry in ones trunk?

I do not want to lug around 100 pounds of anything in the trunk, also AAA quality not needed, yes Snap-On would be nice, but just want bare bones to get job done if needed on the road.

Thanks for your suggestions:-)

A fully-charged cell phone would be a good place to start.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Grainger has an Armstrong set in 2 boxes. One box has sockets the other wrenches. The ones I have are signed by a Nascar driver (not recalling the name now) and I THINK they continue that trend with a different driver every few years. They are a high quality set that covers most jobs one would tackle without being in a shop (I have used them in the arena nearly 15 years and never broken one). Add a GOOD set of screwdrivers, a medium size hammer and several sizes and types of pliers. Steve

OH, Dont cheap out on tools. Cheap tools often do more damage than good. Steve
      Last edited by wolfie; 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

AAA card, checkbook and a cell phone.......

Actually, Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot etc sell "emergency" tool sets that are pretty complete for around $30 when you catch them on sale. Sockets, end wrenches, screwdrivers, channel locks etc. So-so quality Chinese stuff but cheap enough to keep a set in each car.
        1996 Impala SS
        1967 Jag XKE FHC
        1963 Avanti R2
        1963 Avanti R1
        1956 Packard Patrician
        1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
        1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

I carry a small, cheap set in a case that has sockets to 13/16 and wrenches to 5/8. It also has a screwdriver handle and assortment of bits. I add visegrips, pliers, needle nose, 8" crescent wrench, a hammer and a small prybar. I also like to bring a piece of wire, a test light and some tape. And a flashlight.
          Rob

Comment

Guess it depends on what you want to spend. I bought one of these for a friend of mine last year. I wasn't expecting much; it turned out to be a very complete kit that would do just about anything one would need to do on the road. It's 50 pounds. Add some jumper cables, a trolley jack and a rechargeable LED worklight and you are in business.

Last edited by hausdok; 01-27-2014, 09:30 PM.
            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird
            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I recommend a battery jump box. It'll start the car without needing cables and a donor car. It will also get you down the road in the event of an alternator failure, 12 volt cars only though.

Comment

The suggestion for a portable power pack is a good one. If you just want the basics, Harbor Freight has a sale going on right now and you can get a basic 3-in-1 for $40 or a 4-in-1 with compressor for $63. Use the 25% off coupon from Sunday's paper and you get the 3-in-1 for $30 and the 4-in-1 for $47.

If you want more gizmos, the 5-in-1 has 351 amps of cranking power, an air compressor and hose, a dual LED work light, a pair of 12volt outlets to supply 12V to cigarette lighter type plug-in power supplies for appliances, a USB charging port, and even two 120volt receptacles to supply 200 watts (400 peak) of 120volt power for small appliances for a short period of time. Use the 25% off coupon and it's $75 plus tax.
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I like to have a tarp or and old blanket to put on the ground when doing some mechanic alongside the road. I put it under the working area to collect falling nuts and bolts. The idea came to me when, a long time ago, one of my carb jets fall in the sewer grille located under the car. Fortunately, I've been able to lift the grille but this was a lesson.
                  sigpic

Comment

Lots of good suggestions. I would include a decent length breaker bar. Makes removing lug nuts much easier.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The blanket is a good idea, if you're crawling around under the car the last thing you want to do with dirty clothes is climb back into on your cars interior.
                      sigpic

Comment

I always have a 4-way lugwrench in the trunk,and a trolley jack. Visegrips are the most versatile tool to have-Visegrip BRAND not chinese copies. I looked at my engine,and thought about what I could easily fix on the road: Alternator and belt,water pump,fuel pump,fuel hose leak,distributor,rotor,points,point gap.I carry in the trunk,spares of those parts,and the tools to change them.Add to that the already mentioned flashlight,etc. [I probably have less than 50 lbs of parts and tools in the trunk]
                        And as BP said in first post,a cell phone!
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Great thread.

All good ideas.
                          I would add....
                          Two pair of decent shop gloves (the type with the velcro around the wrist).
                          A couple of rolls of paper towels, and a tube of GoJo type hand cleaner.
                          A fire extinguisher.
                          An empty plastic 1 gallon gas can. (Ever have to buy one on the road? $$$)
                          A pair of socks and a towel.
                          An emergency raincoat poncho and rain hat.
                          Maybe an umbrella.

Even if you don't need it, it's nice to be prepared to help someone else.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

All good suggestions. Even in new cars the first thing that's added is a 18" breaker bar and the appropriate sized deep well lugnut socket. also doubles as your prybar if you lose an alternator belt.

For the basic road side repairs
                            electric and duck tape
                            zip tie
                            A few cotter pins - carb and castle nut sizes
                            Real screw drivers. I find the multi bit tools add frustration.
                            Plyers
                            Gloves, I like the tarp/blanket. I carry a couple bath towels, multi purpose for wet car, kid spills, road repair. Couple of wadded up plastic bags for wet greasy parts/trash. Unless your trunk doesn't care

Collapsable magnetic or cats paw bolt grabber.

Just a few additions.
                            Essentially. Think. What are the typical failures that happen. And accumulate those Sized tools.

Not knowing all models - I'm pretty sure you can leave all those Allen wrench (kit) FILLER pieces at home when driving a Studebaker.
                            Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

A good suggestion I have read is to get some vintage luggage and keep the tools in the luggage. That way, the trunk interior is protected and it makes a nice display at shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X