PDA

View Full Version : I think I might feel bad...

Mike Van Veghten
01-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Some know (just as Pat D. is) working on a 54 Conestoga to use as my daily driver. Hope to have it on the road by this summer. When this happens, my current daily driver, my trusty 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon will be sold.

Now the feeling bad part..!
Only one time in roughly 12 or 13 years and many, many miles, has the Lark needed to be towed home. A bad thermostat left me on the shoulder of the freeway.
A few times over the years the car has given little hints as to things the may be "going" wrong, but always got me home. Including a blown out freeze plug just after getting on the freeway..it still took me home...!

Well, it gave me another strong hint today...but didn't leave me stranded... While about 15 miles from home, on the way home, sitting at a long red light, the engine started running rough then died. It took a few revolutions but started again and ran fine to most of the way home where I stopped for lunch. Crossing my fingers, again it took a few revolutions for it to start but it did and we finished the trip home. One thing I did was to put the trans. into neutral and keep the rpm up a bit at stop lights as with everything happening, my best guess was the factory fuel pump was on its way south. I've never replaced it...

And I made it home and thought about another hint it "had" been giving me that I didn't pay a lot of attention to but did notice, that it took a long time for the float bowl to fill after sitting for a while.
Looks like an electric fuel pump might be on the short list of parts to buy while buying parts for the 54.

So...yea, I might feel a little bad when this car is sold to someone else...it's never really let me down.
Hope the new 54 wagon treats me as well as the Lark has.

Mike

rockne10
01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Can we assume it has not been fitted with a pre-pump filter that may be clogging? Or detritus in the tank that may be reducing the fuel pick up?

Halibrand1
01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Hope the new wagon is a good replacement ! I am interested in a 59 wagon if it will be for sale and no hurry so call me , Ed 708 250-2213

wolfie
01-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Some know (just as Pat D. is) working on a 54 Conestoga to use as my daily driver. Hope to have it on the road by this summer. When this happens, my current daily driver, my trusty 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon will be sold.

Now the feeling bad part..!
Only one time in roughly 12 or 13 years and many, many miles, has the Lark needed to be towed home. A bad thermostat left me on the shoulder of the freeway.
A few times over the years the car has given little hints as to things the may be "going" wrong, but always got me home. Including a blown out freeze plug just after getting on the freeway..it still took me home...!

Well, it gave me another strong hint today...but didn't leave me stranded... While about 15 miles from home, on the way home, sitting at a long red light, the engine started running rough then died. It took a few revolutions but started again and ran fine to most of the way home where I stopped for lunch. Crossing my fingers, again it took a few revolutions for it to start but it did and we finished the trip home. One thing I did was to put the trans. into neutral and keep the rpm up a bit at stop lights as with everything happening, my best guess was the factory fuel pump was on its way south. I've never replaced it...

And I made it home and thought about another hint it "had" been giving me that I didn't pay a lot of attention to but did notice, that it took a long time for the float bowl to fill after sitting for a while.
Looks like an electric fuel pump might be on the short list of parts to buy while buying parts for the 54.

So...yea, I might feel a little bad when this car is sold to someone else...it's never really let me down.
Hope the new 54 wagon treats me as well as the Lark has.

Mike

Be careful about putting an electric inline behind a weak pump. If the diaphram is bad (usual culprit) it can leak gasoline into the crankcase. I would just buy a kit for the factory pump and rebuild it. Steve

Corvanti
01-26-2014, 10:32 PM
or remove the original fuel pump and "plate" it off. given the so-cal weather, the e-pump would probably help with keeping the carb with a correct level of fuel when it gets really warm. :)

i also like the idea of a second "see-thru" filter between the tank and the pump. that gives a early warning to a rusting tank before getting up the fuel line.