Wagonaire side trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Wagonaire side trim

Are the aluminum side moldings on a 1964 Wagonaire Daytona always painted black in the center section. Seems like I have saw pics of some with white. Are some not painted at all ? The ones I have for my car do not show any signs of ever having any paint, so I am not sure how they should be.

The raised portion of the center section of 1964 Daytona side trim is painted black:

It often falls or wears off or gets bleached out, but it was black to begin with. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-26-2014, 11:47 AM. Reason: added brochure photo
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      The raised portion of the center section of 1964 Daytona side trim is painted black.

It quite often falls or wears off or gets bleached out, but it was black to begin with. BP
      And flat black, not gloss.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It was the 1965 Daytona wagon that left the center un-painted and the indent painted black, like in the 64 Cruiser. That is an easy way to tell a 64 from a 65 wagon.

Mark

Comment

I repainted my '64 Daytona trim using a satin black. I think it looks fresh. Besides it softens (flattens) over time. My buddy Patrick posted pics earlier this year- just search '64 Daytona wagon and you should see it. Rob in PA.

Comment

I have done much the same as Rob. Have also had luck stripping and repainting a piece of Daytona trim for my Cruiser.

Comment

Ok , Thank's for the info guys. Now more stuff to paint, I may use semi gloss single stage urethane, it will be more uv resistant and I will be using it on some other parts too. None of the trim I have shows any signs of ever being painted even on the ends where it overlaps, but to make it look right I guess I will paint them.

Comment

So how much of the raised part is painted, just the top surface or would the tape line go down in the bottom of the groove along where the raised portion starts out ?

Comment

Just the very top surface.

Comment

That is correct; just the surface, not the edges of the raised part are Low Gloss Black.

IF the Door and Front Fender Mouldings have any Paint at all in the upper and lower grooves, that indicates they were FOR or FROM a '64 or '65 Cruiser, or a '65 Wagonaire, and the Rear Quarter ones could have been bought for a '65 Wagonaire.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

An example...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        That is correct; just the surface, not the edges of the raised part are Low Gloss Black.

IF the Door and Front Fender Mouldings have any Paint at all in the upper and lower grooves, that indicates they were FOR or FROM a '64 or '65 Cruiser, or a '65 Wagonaire, and the Rear Quarter ones could have been bought for a '65 Wagonaire.
                        Ok got it, no telling what this trim is off of, this car was kinda pieced together. Hey when is Mike gonna get my parts to me, I ordered about a half of car. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X