Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark VIII What if????........

Hi
    I just picked up what is one of the cleanest 60 Larks Ive seen in a long time. I am the 3rd owner and Im willing to bet this car has see very little rain or snow! The frame is 100% rust/pit/flake free, the front springs still have thier orange paint dabs from the assembly line inspector. The car is a 259 2bbl/auto trans 3.07 ratio model 27 axle,black hardtop red interior runs perfect! ok heres my ideas,

#1. 259 4bbl/3 speed 3.31 TT,loud tone duals /GO PSMC RACING

#2 289 R1/4 SPEED 4.09 TT,traction bars etc. outfit the car as if it was a factory prototype R1 test vehicle high 12's?????

either way Im going to do a close to concorse restoration but make her run strong
    PS NEED LEADSON ANY NOS PARTS FOR A 60 LARK
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

59 Lark VI Hardtop
    60 Lark VIII Hardtop x2
    63 Lark Custom 2D R1
    57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
    62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
    64 wagon
    57 Silver Hawk {soon}future Bonneville car 200 mph

Shoot for the high 13's, even that would be breaking new ground for a R1, you'll need 400 HP or so to get in the 12's.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Shoot for the high 13's, even that would be breaking new ground for a R1, you'll need 400 HP or so to get in the 12's.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Packard HT
      56 Golden Hawk
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well Jerry; in my sometimes disputed opinion, with choice #1 you definitely do NOT go drag racing! If you put a T-86 Overdrive in it it will be a GREAT driving, cruising, Interstates type of car that performs very well, but 3.31's are way too slow for the track!

I drive my '59 Regal 4dr. setup that way, (but with only 2Brl.& Auto.) everyday and I am impressed how well that little 259 pulls those 3.31's, I am more used to having them in 289's and I own 259 Larks with 3.07's (can you say gutless!) [:0]

Now #2 is a different story, that would be fun! I would choose 4.27 or 4.56, but that's just me...I like to win![}]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well Jerry; in my sometimes disputed opinion, with choice #1 you definitely do NOT go drag racing! If you put a T-86 Overdrive in it it will be a GREAT driving, cruising, Interstates type of car that performs very well, but 3.31's are way too slow for the track!

I drive my '59 Regal 4dr. setup that way, (but with only 2Brl.& Auto.) everyday and I am impressed how well that little 259 pulls those 3.31's, I am more used to having them in 289's and I own 259 Larks with 3.07's (can you say gutless!) [:0]

Now #2 is a different story, that would be fun! I would choose 4.27 or 4.56, but that's just me...I like to win![}]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

ive been leaning towards the little hot rod 4 speed 289!!!

59 Lark VI Hardtop
            60 Lark VIII Hardtop x2
            63 Lark Custom 2D R1
            51 1 Ton truck 9 foot bed
            57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
            62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
            64 wagon

Comment

ive been leaning towards the little hot rod 4 speed 289!!!

59 Lark VI Hardtop
              60 Lark VIII Hardtop x2
              63 Lark Custom 2D R1
              57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
              62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
              64 wagon

Comment

Jerry, just so you know, class racing has strick rules. Before you start planning a run for the PSMCD, go to their website and read up on it. I'm looking at the modified FAST class, but even this requires certain castings that need to match the year and model. I'd concentrate on a nice street driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Jerry, just so you know, class racing has strick rules. Before you start planning a run for the PSMCD, go to their website and read up on it. I'm looking at the modified FAST class, but even this requires certain castings that need to match the year and model. I'd concentrate on a nice street driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

It sounds like a very nice car. I would just leave it alone. Just freshen it up a little. That is just my opinion - your car, do what you want.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It sounds like a very nice car. I would just leave it alone. Just freshen it up a little. That is just my opinion - your car, do what you want.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My goal is to build a early Lark using all the best performance pieces that Studebaker offered on all thier car lines love the 59-60 looks with Avanti spirit!!!

59 Lark VI Hardtop
                        60 Lark VIII Hardtop x2
                        63 Lark Custom 2D R1
                        57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
                        62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
                        64 wagon

Comment

My goal is to build a early Lark using all the best performance pieces that Studebaker offered on all thier car lines love the 59-60 looks with Avanti spirit!!!

59 Lark VI Hardtop
                          60 Lark VIII Hardtop x2
                          63 Lark Custom 2D R1
                          57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
                          62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
                          64 wagon

Comment

As I've said before, the 2009 or 2010 National Meet will have a great drag race event....

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

As I've said before, the 2009 or 2010 National Meet will have a great drag race event....

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X