Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Explorer

Never heard of this before.

http://www.romanoarchives.tk 1950 Desert ExplorersSponsored by The Studebaker CorporationPart 2 of 2Encoded by ROMANO-ARCHIVES"SUBSCRIBING to this Channel is...

Interesting film. The body of one of the sand cars ended up in the Proving Grounds graveyard, and a recovery was attempted not that long ago, but the body was so frail from deterioration after years in the woods that it fell in on itself when moved.

S.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...esert+explorer

Unfortunately, the videos are gone, but some photos of them are on the above thread.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

This was really interesting. So is the documentary on the Avanti that pops up after the video, although it ends after the Cafaro era--would be interesting to see this documentary updated Gordon

Comment

Very cool! I love these cars. Got hooked when I was researching Studes, and separately prototypes, and discovered the SIA articles about the recovery of the woody, and other references. Actually coordinated an attempted effort to recover the Sand Car prototype in the Proving Ground Graveyard, but it had deteriorated too far. I still have the iconic rear fenders as a constant reminder to find a survivor (looking), or build a replica/tribute (Plan b).
          55 Commander Regal Coupe
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)
          Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Were many of these built?

Comment

Looks like the kind of film you'd show to the Quartermaster General of a foreign army before you took him for a ride in one hoping to land a huge foreign desert country defense contract. Israel? Saudi-Arabia? Iran?
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

OK,

So someone posted a comment to a five year old thread about the desert car prototype that was lost when they tried to pull it out of the woods in 2009 and the fellow who initiated that thread talked about the desert cars being in S.A. and King Aziz having been given a red one.

There's a lot of old crap in the Saudi desert, cars, trucks, you name it. If there is a scrap yard out there with those cars I bet they haven't rusted out. Not much gets anything but surface rust on it there.

Anyone got any contacts with anyone that works for Saudi Aramco who can do some digging around on his weekends?
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                    OK,

So someone posted a comment to a five year old thread about the desert car prototype that was lost when they tried to pull it out of the woods in 2009 and the fellow who initiated that thread talked about the desert cars being in S.A. and King Aziz having been given a red one.

There's a lot of old crap in the Saudi desert, cars, trucks, you name it. If there is a scrap yard out there with those cars I bet they haven't rusted out. Not much gets anything but surface rust on it there.

Anyone got any contacts with anyone that works for Saudi Aramco who can do some digging around on his weekends?
                    I had been working with a few people trying to chase down this exact thing.
                    I even got an article published in the retiree magazine for the company that bought most of the Desert Explorers. You can see it here: http://www.madmaxcars.com/UserFiles/...%20article.jpg
                    55 Commander Regal Coupe
                    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                    KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Now unfortunately, life has delt me a few curveballs. So I am looking to pass on the Sand Car Rear Fenders to a new owner. Of anyone is interested, let me know.
                      55 Commander Regal Coupe
                      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                      KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Working...
                      X