Value Of a 1957/1958 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value Of a 1957/1958 Golden Hawk

Hi my name is Nate. And the story goes like this a small town about 2 hrs from where I live I own a business. And I saw the headlight of this vehicle and took the following pics. Best I can tell its a '57 or '58 according to the big fins. Turns out the guy died that owned this car and its been sitting for 40+ yrs. All the trim is there and glass and without looking in closer the body looks straight as well. Not sure if its a golden hawk or silver hawk? On the side it says Studebaker and then has the V8 emblem below that. And the badge on the grill what does that mean? Is this car worth pursing to buy and does it hold any value? And roughly what is its value in the current shape? I am seeking any possible info or ideas you have, thanks! How much is too much to pay for this car?
    Attached Files

We'd need MUCH better photos to identify it or guess at a value. Are you SURE there's a "V8" emblem there? If there is, it's not original. If you can, raise the hood up (pull it towards you as you do or you can bend the back corners of it!) and give us the two lines of digits on a tag that's to the right (passenger's side) of the windshield wiper motor. That'll reveal exactly what it is.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

From the pictures it looks to be a silver hawk 1957, worth hard to say with out more pictures and info, how much rust if any ? floors and trunk fenders look good , does the engine turn ? if stuck lowers the prices parts car not rusted apart $500.00 good interior, good body, engine not stuck, maybe $3000.00 stick or Auto? if Auto and not working also lowers the price. good luck.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Don't have any more pics in a garage of an abandoned house. The time I took these pics cops showed up and thought I was trying to steal something. Yeah and I'm sure the V8 emblem is there right below that's what confused me. Couldn't find one on the net like it. Didn't know if this car was worth flopping or not? Wouldn't be able to see if there is rust unless I bought the car. Just didn't know if it was worth the risk?

Comment

The Hawk emblem covered with 40 years worth of dust might be mistaken for a V8 emblem until all the crap is cleaned off and one can make out the bird.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Welcome!
            It is not any year of Golden Hawk.
            My best guess is that it is a 1957 Silver Hawk.
            If you can buy it for $500, or less, you will make out okay if the car is not that good and you just sell the hood and fenders and scrap the rest. If the car is better than that, it is a win for you.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There's potentially WAY more of value than just the hood and fenders. There's a fella right here on the forums that's looking for a Hawk front fender as of today
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would find the owner and get permission before even stepping on ANY PRIVATE PROPERTY...........E V E R!!!!! That's a good way to get shot, or arrested, especially in Texas.
                Even if the place is abandoned, someone owns the property. It it ain't yours don't touch! It's called trespassing.

Find a neighbor that knows something. Go to the county courthouse and look up the owner of the property. Do it right, legal ,and with proper respect for property owners rights

end of rant
                Last edited by bezhawk; 01-23-2014, 10:56 AM.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  There's potentially WAY more of value than just the hood and fenders. There's a fella right here on the forums that's looking for a Hawk front fender as of today
                  I agree with the "potentially" part. I figure that the $500 is a good starting point. As you know, to recoup any money, he will have to haul the car, clean it, remove the parts, market them, ship them, etc.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    I would find the owner and get permission before even stepping on ANY PRIVATE PROPERTY...........E V E R!!!!! That's a good way to get shot, or arrested, especially in Texas.
                    Even if the place is abandoned, someone owns the property. It it ain't yours don't touch! It's called trespassing.

Find a neighbor that knows something. Go to the county courthouse and look up the owner of the property. Do it right, legal ,and with proper respect for property owners rights

end of rant
                    Brad,
                    GOOD Suggestion! Somebody is or owes proprty taxes and the county courthouse would have those records.

Even if you found the next of kin.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Well, Mr. Emu has told us the PO is dead. That tells me he's gotten SOME info from SOME place - maybe the cops knew - especially if it's a small town. But yeah.... don't trespass even for the bestest of reasons! Especially in gun-luvin' Texas.

Heh - talk about bein' pissed at a trespasser..... I was coming home from town some years back, and I saw a truck of a friend coming towards me from my place. I slowed to a stop and the truck did too. At the wheel was my "friend", and next to him set a fella I'd never seen before. My friend introduces us and the stranger pipes up: "Hey, I left ya 50 bucks in yur mailbox. We came and removed a pair of brake drums and I figured $50 was a fair price for them. I'm pressed for time and didn't know when you'd be home, so I just took what I needed!"
                      I was LIVID at this "theft" and told them so. If this friend of mine hadn't led me to some good finds, I'd have called the cops on them. As it was, I gave him a piece of my mind the next time I saw him.

Comment

Wow! That took guts,Rosco.I'd have been real tempted to call the cops! Was $50 a fair price??
                        Any way,in the fourth pic you can see there is no Golden hawk scoop on the hood,and you can see the post on door and rear quarter= Silver Hawk.
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yeah I found out who pay the taxes its the next door neighbor. And the sons of the old gentleman live close to me within an hr or so. I'm going to try and get some more info on the car and will keep ya'll posted. And there is a scoop on the hood cause I peeked in just didn't get the pic. Also there is ornaments on the front fenders. Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by SwearingEmu View Post
                            Yeah I found out who pay the taxes its the next door neighbor. And the sons of the old gentleman live close to me within an hr or so. I'm going to try and get some more info on the car and will keep ya'll posted. And there is a scoop on the hood cause I peeked in just didn't get the pic. Also there is ornaments on the front fenders. Thanks for all the replies!
                            The scoop they are refering to is not on the hood in the pics. And it is a "C" body not a "K" body so it is not a Golden Hawk. Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

So wolfie is the car worth anything? As a silver hawk? How much is too much to pay or would you even pursue buying the car?

Comment

Working...
                              X