No announcement yet.

remote oil filter same for 6 and 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: remote oil filter same for 6 and 8?

I need to dress my engine now that I have it, you know water pump, Alt, oil filler, fan, all that good stuff. So I was wondering if the remote filter that came on my 1953 straight six will work on my 259, I plan to use the front mount oil filler tube, as I have old style valve covers and happen to love the way they look. While I'm at, would any other stuff off the fully dressed six work for my current needs? I know studebaker loved to use as many of the same stuff as possible.

As a lot of these were dealer installed you will see exceptions for sure but my understanding is they used the Fram C3 or F3 on the champion engines and the C4 or F4 on the V8 and commander big 6 engines.

Your filter will work fine on your engine. While the V8 normally came with the larger C4 filter, the smaller C3 should work just as well.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Well I was going to say that one other part you could salvage from the 6 would be the Ignition Coil, but since it's a '53 6 Volt, I guess I can't think of anything else except maybe the Oil Cap, there really are not many common parts from a 6 to an 8 Cyl. Car, everything is beefier.

As you probably know, if you are putting a V8 in a 6 Cyl. Car, you will need V8 Brakes, Rear Axle, and Front Springs.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually one more thing, is the radiator the same from six to eight cars? My car csmr with what I actually believe to be a good radiator.

Comment

The Lower Tube, Outlet move a little to the right if I remember correctly on a 6 from a V8, but you will be able to adapt it to fit with the right Hose, the capacity may be a bit less but it can be made to work if you do not live where it gets over 80 degrees.

It is not the same as a V8, but I would give it a try, if you do not have over 8.5 to 1 Compression you will not generate as much heat as my car does.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X