PDA

View Full Version : Snow Stories II

SN-60
01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
We had quite a snowstorm overnight and into this morning here in the Boston area. Here's a couple shots of "Old SN-60" heading to work at 5AM. At this point the snow was about 10" deep and drifting. My good old '83 Avanti 'Tore Right Into It!'....About 20 miles to work, dodging snowplows all the way! Now, our Studebaker show cars are real nice, but I have to say that I get a REAL FEELING OF SATISFACTION using a Stude for what it was originally built for....RUGGED, DEPENDABLE, TRANSPORTATION!
PS....The new Firestone 'Winterforce' tires really do give excellent traction!

63t-cab
01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok, drop the hammer :ohmy:

62champ
01-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Avanti snow plow?

SN-60
01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
One more glimpse of the '83 disappearing into the pre dawn snowy expanse.......can you see her?

53commander
01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
We had the same snow storm here but I much preferred my 4X4 truck this morning going to work.

acolds
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Studebakers were designed and sold as cars to drive and use all year around, not summer time toys as most are used for now

rockne10
01-22-2014, 07:49 PM
I totally concur on the Firestone Winterforce! KRC chapter member Lee Reish, Sr passed away several weeks ago. He NEVER owned anything but a Studebaker or Avanti, and was still driving his the day before he passed.

SN-60
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I totally concur on the Firestone Winterforce! KRC chapter member Lee Reish, Sr passed away several weeks ago. He NEVER owned anything but a Studebaker or Avanti, and was still driving his the day before he passed.

Well, thank You for sharing that. I didn't know Him, but He must have been quite a Guy!

SN-60
01-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Go WINTERFORCE!!

55s
01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
I remember my dad's twin traction 1963 Studebaker GT was the only car that was able to drive out of our street on at least two occasions,and was often the only car that would always start even on the coldest days. 31685

ert62 hawlk
01-22-2014, 11:01 PM
In Dec 1963 we stopped in a motel in Macon Mississippi(that's south MS) because of snow. The next morning all the cars in the parking lot started except one with a Wisconsin plate. I jumped him off with my 1963 R1 GT Hawk, man I miss that car. I don't think it has snowed again since then in Macon.

63 R2 Hawk
01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
You guys get all the fun weather. Here in the Pacific Northwet it was sunny and 55*. If I didn't have outside pruning chores to do, I would have taken Henrietta out for a drive today....

01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
We had quite a snowstorm overnight and into this morning here in the Boston area. Here's a couple shots of "Old SN-60" heading to work at 5AM. At this point the snow was about 10" deep and drifting. My good old '83 Avanti 'Tore Right Into It!'....About 20 miles to work, dodging snowplows all the way! Now, our Studebaker show cars are real nice, but I have to say that I get a REAL FEELING OF SATISFACTION using a Stude for what it was originally built for....RUGGED, DEPENDABLE, TRANSPORTATION!
PS....The new Firestone 'Winterforce' tires really do give excellent traction!
My wife used to drive to work in Burlington, Mass in all weather, including snow, driving our '66. It had Twin Traction, but was running bias belted tires. Excellent traction. She still misses the car. I drove my '64 Champ 1/2-ton long bed every day from Burlington to Boston, also in all weather. It also had TT, but I was running Sears (Michelin) radial studded snow tires.

Dan Timberlake
01-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Nice pattern.
I thought I was the only one that walks around checking out the patterns left in the winter effluvia by various cars.
Some all seasons seem to snip off the all important forged links they form, as soon as they form them, leaving a smooth featureless track.

Commander Eddie
01-23-2014, 09:27 AM
You guys get all the fun weather. Here in the Pacific Northwet it was sunny and 55*. If I didn't have outside pruning chores to do, I would have taken Henrietta out for a drive today....

Here in Dundee we have not made it into the 50s so far this winter and we are just a few miles up the road from you. There are little micro-climates around the state and Independence must be in one. Most of the Stude owners I know here in Oregon drive their cars/trucks all year long. I actually can't wait for some bad weather to get my Champ truck on the road. She loves snow. We had 2 feet of it on the ground here a few years back but that is a bit much. I'm glad I'm not back on the East coast right now. Sorry guys.

plwindish
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
All this snow talk takes me back to the "Big Storm" of 1967 when I was driving my 64 Avanti home from a buddy's house. I was driving on gravel and black top roads covering the roughly 15 miles from his place, plowing through drifts getting a couple of feet high at that time. Back then in Central IL, everyone had snow tires on extra rims that were put on for the winter driving. Today, my 76 and 89 don't see any snow. The only time I get them out is if the roads are perfectly clear. My 4 wheel drive Honda Crosstour handles the snow these days.

studegary
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
My good old '83 Avanti 'Tore Right Into It!'....About 20 miles to work, dodging snowplows all the way! Now, our Studebaker show cars are real nice, but I have to say that I get a REAL FEELING OF SATISFACTION using a Stude for what it was originally built for....RUGGED, DEPENDABLE, TRANSPORTATION!

I do not understand referring to a 1983 Avanti as a "Stude". I know that your car is similar to and based on a Studebaker Avanti, but it was not manufactured by Studebaker. You are referring to a car decades newer than the last Studebaker Avanti.

As some others here, I also drove Studebakers year round, including in major snowstorms, for MANY years.

SN-60
01-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I do not understand referring to a 1983 Avanti as a "Stude". I know that your car is similar to and based on a Studebaker Avanti, but it was not manufactured by Studebaker. You are referring to a car decades newer than the last Studebaker Avanti.

As some others here, I also drove Studebakers year round, including in major snowstorms, for MANY years.

I don't know about that Gary...The body is 'somewhat similar' to what a Studebaker Avanti looks like (I believe), and mechanically it's COMPLETELY Studebaker except for the engine and trans. And as You may recall, Studebaker itself adopted this small block Chevy engine for their '65-'66 model cars....were they also not Studebakers Gary?;)

SN-60
01-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Avanti snow plow?

Hmmm, Avanti snow plow.....You may be on to something here!:)

Nox
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Here's Josephine before she had her surgery, not drivable yet, but out in snow...
This real-car-winter-driving sure makes me happy & raises my believe in humanity!
Rock on winter-Studebaker's!!!
:)

SN-60
01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Here's Josephine before she had her surgery, not drivable yet, but out in snow...
This real-car-winter-driving sure makes me happy & raises my believe in humanity!
Rock on winter-Studebaker's!!!
:)

That's a nice photo of 'Josephine'....an 'Ultra Vista' model...My Father bought a sister car to Your 'Josephine' brand new in '55!

Nox
01-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Okidoki, here's what she looks like now, exept for the grill that's back in place but not the bumper yet...
& the Volvo Amazon heater isn't there anymore either, it was just a temporary oil-cooler for the trans.

StudeDave57
01-23-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't know about that Gary...The body is 'somewhat similar' to what a Studebaker Avanti looks like (I believe), and mechanically it's COMPLETELY Studebaker except for the engine and trans. And as You may recall, Studebaker itself adopted this small block Chevy engine for their '65-'66 model cars....were they also not Studebakers Gary? ;)
Since Gary had the same thought I did, I'll bet his answer to your question is the same as mine~

Yes- '65/6 Studebakers ARE Studebakers.
It says so right on the s/n plate.

Any Avanti built after STUDEBAKER stopped making them is NOT a STUDEBAKER.
Your first clue to this fact is likely on the VIN plate of your 1983 Avanti.
Take a look at it- I'll bet it does not say STUDEBAKER... :rolleyes: :ohmy:

OBTW- if your car is "COMPLETELY Studebaker except for the engine and trans" you might wanna get better brakes.
I have heard they are 'high maintenance, problematic', and 'antiquated'.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

SN-60
01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Since Gary had the same thought I did, I'll bet his answer to your question is the same as mine~

Yes- '65/6 Studebakers ARE Studebakers.
It says so right on the s/n plate.

Any Avanti built after STUDEBAKER stopped making them is NOT a STUDEBAKER.
Your first clue to this fact is likely on the VIN plate of your 1983 Avanti.
Take a look at it- I'll bet it does not say STUDEBAKER... :rolleyes: :ohmy:

OBTW- if your car is "COMPLETELY Studebaker except for the engine and trans" you might wanna get better brakes.
I have heard they are 'high maintenance, problematic', and 'antiquated'.

I do have to agree that Gary and You sometimes do sound a lot alike!

StudeDave57
01-23-2014, 07:23 PM
I do have to agree that Gary and You sometimes do sound a lot alike!

Well, we do both like facts and tell it how it is/was.
We also answer questions asked of us- nothing wrong with that.

I'll take fact over fiction any day,
because BS always stinks. :yeahright:

That's about all I have to about that.
Further comments may be addressed to me in a PM.
:cheers:

SN-60
01-23-2014, 07:27 PM
My 1983 'STUDEBAKER' Avanti.......This baby's been good to Me for twenty years and she's still going STRONG!!!:D

SN-60
01-24-2014, 04:18 PM
My 1985 'STUDEBAKER';) Avanti is just crying for some 'winter action'....The '83 is having all the fun

studegary
01-24-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know about that Gary...The body is 'somewhat similar' to what a Studebaker Avanti looks like (I believe), and mechanically it's COMPLETELY Studebaker except for the engine and trans. And as You may recall, Studebaker itself adopted this small block Chevy engine for their '65-'66 model cars....were they also not Studebakers Gary?;)

1965-1966 models with GM engines were/are Studebakers because they were manufactured by Studebaker. 1965 and later Avantis are not Studebakers because they were not manufactured by Studebaker.
Yes, I know that the very late Avantis do say Studebaker on the ID label on the B-pillar, but they are also not Studebakers since they were not manufactured by Studebaker.

SN-60
01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
1965-1966 models with GM engines were/are Studebakers because they were manufactured by Studebaker. 1965 and later Avantis are not Studebakers because they were not manufactured by Studebaker.
Yes, I know that the very late Avantis do say Studebaker on the ID label on the B-pillar, but they are also not Studebakers since they were not manufactured by Studebaker.

I realize all that Gary, I guess I'm just getting tired of folks telling Me I'm driving a nice Studebaker when I'm out and about....I figured I might as well start 'Going Along With It'!:whome:

SN-60
01-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I clearly remember back into the 'sixties-seventies', when a few Studebaker Avanti owners in this area wouldn't readily acknowledge that their cars were even built by Studebaker....some to the point of prying the Studebaker script off of the deck lid and filling the holes in, or installing an "Avanti' script. That mentality always used to 'Burn Me Up'!

DEEPNHOCK
01-25-2014, 10:31 AM
<snip>

Any Avanti built after Studebaker sold the Avanti line to Newman & Altman was a "Tribute" Avanti.
They could not even call it an Avanti, but had to add the "II" tribute moniker, and call it an Avanti II.
That was a corporate legal decision to protect the good Studebaker name from profiteers trying to pass of a non-Studebaker Avanti as a real Studebaker Avanti.
Anything less is just denial, and Studebaker envy:rolleyes:
We must be consistent, you know...:rolleyes:
Too funny:D

SN-60
01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
The 'Tribute' adjective works for Me Deep! And I'm sure glad to see that You're promoting that term to describe 'repop's...(R4 engines, Streamers, etc) You're learning!;)

DEEPNHOCK
01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Yep...
It is an apt description, fer sure.
Went right to the target. Took less than 14 minutes.
You are learning, too:rolleyes:

SN-60
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Yep...
It is an apt description, fer sure.
Went right to the target. Took less than 14 minutes.
You are learning, too:rolleyes:

That's a little 'deep' for Me Deep, but I'm still glad You're learning from My posts:) You're definitely moving towards the 'Head of the Class';)

SN-60
01-25-2014, 01:17 PM
'Winter Slumber' (hibernation?) But come spring watch out,....400CI of small block Chevy!!:!:

SN-60
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
My wife used to drive to work in Burlington, Mass in all weather, including snow, driving our '66. It had Twin Traction, but was running bias belted tires. Excellent traction. She still misses the car. I drove my '64 Champ 1/2-ton long bed every day from Burlington to Boston, also in all weather. It also had TT, but I was running Sears (Michelin) radial studded snow tires.

Burlington (northern Mass) generally receives a bit more snow from these winter storms than in My more southerly Massachusetts location (although this year that scenario seems to have been reversed!) She probably commuted down Rt. 95/128 south from Burlington to Boston.....a difficult stretch of highway even in good weather!

SN-60
02-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, yet ANOTHER snowstorm predicted to hit the southeastern Massachusetts area early tomorrow morning.......... and we just finished cleaning up after yesterday's snowstorm! My '83 Avanti isn't weakening,...........but old SN-60 sure is!!! (I'll hit the road around 4 AM tomorrow......Wish Me luck!!):QQ: