Clutch chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch chatter

Background.. A hotrod Ford running a 55 259 w 55? 3pd truck trans. It has the top shifter plate. Taking off in first you have to let the clutch out real quick or it will chatter like hell. If you don't try to slip the clutch it's fine. I can prevent it most of the time.

I've dialed in the new bell housing to the crank which I've learned here could cause this problem. Depending on the obvious visible condition of the pressure plate and flywheel, I am considering reusing the pressure plate. If necessary the flywheel will get surfaced and a new disc to fit the 5 spd. trans.

Is the Stude prone to clutch chatter? (Fords had anti-chatter rods from the factory) Is the pressure plate a likely suspect? Weak or broken springs on one part? I'll give it a good once over.

I don't like doing things twice but I also don't like spending money to replace a perfectly good part that will probably out live me.

This is the first vehicle I've had that chattered. I'm really hoping the new stuff installed correctly will eliminate the very embarrassing problem.

I know the present engine and bell housing didn't come from the factory together and I'm suspecting that whoever put it together was a Chevrolet mech. and didn't know to dial it in.

What should I be looking for?

Well, were the Stude engine in a Studebaker, I would suggest checking the engine insulators (aka engine mounts).

In my years of NAPA store ownership, I had the opportunity to witness all types of clutch behavior. And when a new cover and plate assembly were installed, the principle reason for chatter, if it occurred (rarely) turned out to be the flywheel. Once it would be surfaced, the problem would go away.

I would always hear the comment that "the old one didn't chatter". As hard as it may be to believe, they wear as an assembly. And the pressure plate only releases some .050 inch or so. Any distortion or hot spots on the flywheel or cover can have an effect.

And clutch plate contamination can also cause chatter.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Comment

One other component to replace is the pilot bearing. It doesn't take much wear there to allow clutch chatter.

thnx,jv

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Here's a good source for info....
        clutchwizard.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, clutchwizard.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

clutchandflywheel.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, clutchandflywheel.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Keep things basic.
        It's just a clutch.
        Hope the info helps...
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
        X