PDA

View Full Version : At first I thought the for sale price was $6500... boy I was off

evilhawk
01-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Nice 56', but for that price??

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4292786630.html

GinettaG12P
01-21-2014, 09:59 PM
But he said it runs good.

Corvanti
01-21-2014, 10:43 PM
i really try not to comment on Studebaker's for sale - but - this guy must have watched too many auctions over the past week. more than likely, it's a scam since there's no phone number, one bad pic (maybe a google pic) and not much of a narrative.:rolleyes:

if i'm wrong and the seller is a forum member, i apologize.:o if anyone mails the "owner" and gets a response that doesn't take over your 'puter, it would be interesting to hear the response...

JDP
01-21-2014, 10:50 PM
i really try not to comment on Studebaker's for sale - but - this guy must have watched too many auctions over the past week. more than likely, it's a scam since there's no phone number, one bad pic (maybe a google pic) and not much of a narrative.:rolleyes:

if i'm wrong and the seller is a forum member, i apologize.:o if anyone mails the "owner" and gets a response that doesn't take over your 'puter, it would be interesting to hear the response...

It is a bad picture, but it is possible to spent 80K on a restoration. Perhaps the owner built a high end resto rod, died and the estate has no idea how market the car. Not likely it will bring 65K, but may well be worth half that.

Packard8
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Sir! Put the crack pipe down and back away slowly...........:eek:

JDP
01-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Sir! Put the crack pipe down and back away slowly...........:eek:

This guy was 50K in this car when I bought it with the driveline out and in pieces, and took almost another 20K to finish.

Corvanti
01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
... it is possible to spent 80K on a restoration...

no doubt that is possible, Mr. P. :(

PackardV8
01-22-2014, 12:38 AM
An odd combination of a high dollar restoration retaining the Packard V8, but customizing by removing the fender-mounted parking lights and using the funkmasterflash wheels and tires.

And yes, if done in a high end professional shop, $80,000 is an everyday figure. There is computer software available which assigns an hourly rate and tracks every time a part is touched and every new nut, bolt and screw used. I tried the software on one of my engine builds and using the suggested hourly rate, I've been selling $7,500 engines for $2995.

jack vines

Lucy the Lark
01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm always suspicious when several common words are misspelled, misused, or are in odd sentence syntax - limited or vague contact info also troubles me. These are not merely regional or rural colloquialisms.

StudeRich
01-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Yeah but, Quote: (it has)... very few miles on reatoration! :D

JRoberts
01-22-2014, 05:48 AM
I'm like John, I do not disbelieve that the "restoration" could have cost 80k and that the seller may just not know what the market price is in reality. In my opinion the "custom" touches do nothing to enhance the price. Something a lot of folks do not understand. Of course the ad is a bit suspicious as several have mentioned. By the way, John's GT Hawk was one of the nicest GT's I have ever seen.

Gunslinger
01-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Money spent does not automatically translate into resale value or profit. Just because someone has more money invested than its market value doesn't mean I or anyone else has to bail them out.

The free market will speak and its value will eventually be known.

swvalcon
01-22-2014, 06:53 AM
I find it hard to see how anyone can get that kind of money in a car if they do their homework before hand, Although it is very easy to end up with as much or just a little morre than they are worth. Studebaker's maybe more so.

R_David
01-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Without an effective marketing campaign it is highly unlikely the seller would get the money he is asking. There are companies that specialize in selling high end cars, the owner would be wise to seek them out and pay the commission.

M15 Trucker
01-22-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm always suspicious when several common words are misspelled, misused, or are in odd sentence syntax - limited or vague contact info also troubles me. These are not merely regional or rural colloquialisms.

I've never put an ad in Craigslist, is there a set price if you use 25 words or less in the description? His description is 25 words in what I would call a list of the car attributes

Mike Van Veghten
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
How could it be "restored" ?
Original Studebakers didn't have that paint scheme or wire wheels and the superduper thin sidewall tires.

And yea, for that money...the knothead coulda spent a "little" more time on the photo...!

Mike

bezhawk
01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
I've never put an ad in Craigslist, is there a set price if you use 25 words or less in the description? His description is 25 words in what I would call a list of the car attributes
Craigslist is not Ebay. There are no charges to list it's free. There IS contact on this ad. Craigslist works as an intermediary, from the ad posters Email. You have to click on the Reply link at the top, and it goes to his email.
The poor ad is not the fault of Craigslist, it is the ad posters fault.
There is no 25 word limit or anything like that.

Milaca
01-23-2014, 12:01 AM
With an asking price like that, the seller should at least have several photos of the car in the ad. I've seen better ads for $650 beater cars! :)

EssexExport
01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Yes, that 65 with all those zeroes is a shock.

mmagic
01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Nothing says your "ASK" has to be reasonable or the Zero key on your key board doesn't stick when creating a C-list or an Ebay ad. Reality is in the "OFFERS". I doubt if many sales occur on C-List for more than $10,000 and it's been my experience that you can sell almost any decent, running vehicle there for about $5,000. Even if this would happen to be the right price for the gentleman's vehicle, C-List is the wrong market place.

Roscomacaw
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
"Restoration" Un-huh. :rolleyes:

plwindish
01-23-2014, 11:56 AM
My thoughts are to not list a car for sale after drinking too much of the Barrett Jackson and Russo-Steele auction kool-aid. Some wonder the seller did not put a buyers premium on the price also. Seriously, how does a person expect to sell a $65,000 "restored" car with non-stock features from 1 poor angle picture??

EssexExport
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
My thoughts are to not list a car for sale after drinking too much of the Barrett Jackson and Russo-Steele auction kool-aid. Some wonder the seller did not put a buyers premium on the price also. Seriously, how does a person expect to sell a $65,000 "restored" car with non-stock features from 1 poor angle picture??

Really. Makes one wonder.